• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRF Assistant Frieght Train Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.M_DannyC

Hi guys,

Just noticed on the GBRF website an advert for assistant TM in the West Mids. Could anyone give me an insight into the job? Duties involved, typical hours of work, etc.

Any info appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
ATM is basically a mobile shunter, you would probably learn to drive class 66 in yard confines as well, with possible progression to Train Manager at some stage. I'm not entirely sure what the West Mids guys cover job wise.

L.M_DannyC

HSTfan!!!:1781953 said:
ATM is basically a mobile shunter, you would probably learn to drive class 66 in yard confines as well, with possible progression to Train Manager at some stage. I'm not entirely sure what the West Mids guys cover job wise.

Thanks! I thought it might be something along them lines. The advert says Westbury (West Midlands), last time I checked Westbury isn't in the West Mids so maybe it's a floating type position.

andy-ed

Does anyone know if this position is based in the West Mids at all as Westbury seems to be Wiltshire? - Cheers :)

Legzr1

with possible progression to Train Manager at some stage.

ATM grade is in the line of promotion so if TM vacancies become available at any time then it's definite progression for those that want it (providing the aptitude tests are passed).

GB

Established Member
General GBRf ATM Information

Pay: Circa £29800-£30300 p.a
Annualised Hours: 1818 per year minus 200 for Holiday and averaged over 16 weeks. So you could work 15 hours one week and upto 60 hours the next etc etc.
Lines of Promotion:
ATM(p) (Passed for pilot/yard driving) (extra £1500 on basic)
ATM(e) (Passed for driving on engineering possessions) (extra £3260 on basic)
TM (Mainline driver) (£50k+)
Overtime/Hours: 200 hours committed if you reach your contract within the operating year. Paid at basic rate but have the option of being paid it 4 weekly or in one lump sum at the start of the next financial year. If you reach your contract and complete the 200 hours committed overtime by the end of the year you can choose to either have the remaining time off (still get paid your monthly basic pay) or any hours over gets attributed as overtime. If you fail to reach your contract by the end of the year the remaining balance gets written off and you start again at zero as you normally would at the start of the new financial year. Ie, you will get paid the same yearly wage whether you do the full 1616 contract hours or only do 1216 (for example) hours.
General Responsibilities: Preparing trains for safe departure onto the national network, coupling and uncoupling, pulling points, examining loads (extra competence), liaising with customers, reforming trains, signing paperwork, minimise late departures/delays, work different yards and different commodities, occasional lodge turns.

Think that sums it up as a general, across the board, information.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.