• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRf Class 57

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExRes

Established Member
An interesting report on WNXX this morning that "Subject to the finalisation of contractual arrangements and hand back repairs" GBRf are looking to take on five Class 57s, being 57301, 57303, 57306, 57310 & 57312 currently due to be returned to Porterbrook by DRS, interesting to see if this actually takes place

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
Interestingly, all bar 305 were from the ‘Network Rail’ batch and previously operated by GBRf, so presumably this will have the main bearing on the 5.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
57301 is at Derby RTC
57303 is at Crewe Gresty Bridge Depot
57306 is at Crewe Gresty Bridge Depot
57310 is at Derby RTC
57312 is at Crewe Gresty Bridge Depot

D365

Veteran Member
How much more work can GBRf be finding!?

XCTurbostar

Established Member
There may be multiple explanations such as the 47s being life-expired or the 69 order not being extended. I doubt they will end up on container trains.

D365

Veteran Member
... or the 69 order not being extended. I doubt they will end up on container trains.
Agree with the latter but I have not been told anything about the six additional 69s being cancelled.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Logically, if they have a more efficient operation than the other freight operators, and can offer lower prices, they will eventually take over the market.

fgwrich

Established Member
Logically, if they have a more efficient operation than the other freight operators, and can offer lower prices, they will eventually take over the market.
The EMU movement market is certainly now a 3 horse race between GBRf, ROG and Rail Adventure, though I would say the most likely to be dropped would be ROG who are still pretty reliant on their 37s + Barrier Vans.

fgwrich

Established Member
Is that not where the Class 93s come in?
Possibly, though most of the blurb seems to be around High Speed Freight than EMU stock moves. Also, with these 57/3s included, GBRf will have the largest (presently available) fleet of readily available locos (though that will change when the 93s eventually arrive), and a number of the recent mass swathe of EMU orders are already reaching or have reached the half way stage already.

ROG wouldn't be the first small FOC to acquire it's own locos and find the work drying up for them (Cotswold Advenza / Fastline Freight anyone?!).

XCTurbostar

Established Member
It is where they come in. And cripple the company financially.
The 93s are being financed by STAR Capital which is itself the majority stakeholder of Rail Operations Limited so you could be right!

Being already fitted with Delners, is it possible that GBRF could be looking to dispose of the 47s and replace DRS as the Avanti rescue locos?

Wyrleybart

Established Member
It is where they come in. And cripple the company financially.
Assuming 93s are around 4 million a pop and ten have been initially ordered, you would expect some pretty serious spreadsheet action to have taken place to justify the initial hole in the balance sheet. I guess there is a huge difference between leasing a handful of 37s from Europhoenix, and takingon the certification and training of a new class of locomotive before they start earning their corn.

My interpretation is that 93s replace Europhoenix 37s and do whatever ROG use the 37s for currently.

Suraggu

The EMU movement market is certainly now a 3 horse race between GBRf, ROG and Rail Adventure, though I would say the most likely to be dropped would be ROG who are still pretty reliant on their 37s + Barrier Vans.
It will be a three horse race until all of this work drys up, which it will in the next couple of years.

Cannot see DfT authorising any new builds for the foreseeable.

You could also argue RailAdventure being 'dropped' as their current contracts also rely heavily on barrier/brake force wagons but that argument is invalid as when those are required there is a valid reason.

Mollman

Established Member
It will be a three horse race until all of this work drys up, which it will in the next couple of years.

Cannot see DfT authorising any new builds for the foreseeable.

You could also argue RailAdventure being 'dropped' as their current contracts also rely heavily on barrier/brake force wagons but that argument is invalid as when those are required there is a valid reason.
South Eastern seems like the most plausible new fleet alongside TPE / Northern related to TransPennine electrification. It also depends what movements are needed between Derby and Newton Aycliffe for HS2 trains.

On Moderation
I would argue RailAdventure are in a much better position as they can offer delivery from much of Europe. For the likes of Siemens and Stadler that is a big advantage.

Suraggu

I would argue RailAdventure are in a much better position as they can offer delivery from much of Europe. For the likes of Siemens and Stadler that is a big advantage.
My response was in regards to post I quoted mentioning about the dropping of one operator over the use of barrier wagons rather than the full delivery network as we all know how vital barrier wagons are for these kind of movements.

Last edited:

Benno

Shouldn't be, as GWR has 57305, which isn't planned to leave for GBRf.
57305 will be leaving Reading ASAP as it is due E exam. Once completed 305 will join GBRF along with 57301, 303, 306 & 310 giving them 5 class 57/3s. GWR will lease 57312 direct from the Rosco to replace 57305.

FGW_DID

Established Member
57305 will be leaving Reading ASAP as it is due E exam. Once completed 305 will join GBRF along with 57301, 303, 306 & 310 giving them 5 class 57/3s. GWR will lease 57312 direct from the Rosco to replace 57305.

If it’s being leased direct, I wonder if it will gain GWR livery?

Status
Not open for further replies.