• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRf Class 99 - 30 locomotives now ordered

Status
Not open for further replies.

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
GBRf likely ordering 30 x 99s (not 20, it’s the wrong way round, eg 30 99s and 20 options) which are going to be sufficiently powerful to do intermodal trains on the Felixstowe as well as probably being for TPE Mk5s and Night Riviera.

UK: GB Railfreight is planning to order a fleet of main line electro-diesel locomotives with a modular design which would facilitate future replacement of the diesel engine with a battery or hydrogen fuel cell module.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pdeaves

Established Member
Historically, 'class 99' was allocated to ships [1]. Such knowledge conjures up some interesting mental images!

[1] Obviously, the number can easily be reused; that isn't a problem...

D365

Veteran Member
Historically, 'class 99' was allocated to ships [1]. Such knowledge conjures up some interesting mental images!

[1] Obviously, the number can easily be reused; that isn't a problem...
That, and the modular nature, sorts the nickname then.

fgwrich

Established Member
No different to any other rolling stock, surely?
If the bar you’re measuring it by is the 68s, then yes. If it’s the 57/6s, then possibly lower.

(Yes, usual caveats apply, there’s only 4 /6s + the DRS Hire-In, but they’ve never really set the standard for reliability have they)

hst43102

Would these be replacing 66's? Does GBRf have enough demand for so many locomotives - they seem to be picking up as many spare 66's as possible, as well as the ongoing Cl.69 conversion...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
How come TPE and GWR Sleeper are in this story, when First already has a tender out for those services?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Hope they can afford this on their wafer thin margins.

Anyway, that's enough cornet jokes.

co-tr-paul

How come TPE and GWR Sleeper are in this story, when First already has a tender out for those services?
GWR will not hire in locos unless there is a contract for GWR own drivers and maintenance. GBrf don't even have the rescue contract.

On Moderation
GWR will not hire in locos unless there is a contract for GWR own drivers and maintenance. GBrf don't even have the rescue contract.
GWR do not have the final say. If DfT say “contract out Night Riviera operation” then that’s what will happen.

In any case, I’m sure those Cardiff-Taunton replacements a few years ago with assorted 57s, 66s and 66s were driven by FOC staff.

GB

Established Member
Would these be replacing 66's? Does GBRf have enough demand for so many locomotives - they seem to be picking up as many spare 66's as possible, as well as the ongoing Cl.69 conversion...

Replacing 66's on particular services yes, replacing 66's from the portfolio outright probably not.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If anyone’s got access, I wonder does the Railway Gazette report even mention TPE and GWR, or is this a separate assumption?

Deepgreen

Established Member
Will they be able to replace the 92s on the sleeper contracts
I wonder further if they would actually be able to replace the now-standard use of 73s plus 66s on the sleepers? I find it very disappointing that the 73s have failed to fulfuil their purpose on the sleepers. I can't imagine hydrogen cells being viable as their production essentially relies on fossil fuel burning, thus reducing their advantage to simply removing some local emissions. Also thy won't get far on battery/cell power if hauling, say, 2000 tonnes! Possibly enough to bridge some electrification gaps, I suppose.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Will they be able to replace the 92s on the sleeper contracts
Why exactly do 92s need replacing? Straight electric locomotives to run a service entirely under wires seems like a good use of them.

Chilternblue

Guess 100mph may be useful when running late.

If these locos were used on passenger services, perhaps revenue protection officers could wear badges saying stop me and buy one!!

dgl

Established Member
No, just GBRf.
The link to FirstGroup was made by the OP.
I would assume that FG's requirements are similar and as such I reckon they might end up being the same, would make sense as it surely would help on the cost front.

ac6000cw

Established Member
Also, if they are just going to be Stadler EuroDuals, why not use the 93 classification? It feels like they're using new classifications for the sake of it, and soon, we'll run out.
For one thing, according to the Railway Gazette article, the proposed class 99 is a bi-mode Co-Co design, versus the tri-mode Bo-Bo class 93 design i.e. quite different locos with different haulage capabilities.

GB

Established Member
For one thing, according to the Railway Gazette article, the proposed class 99 is a bi-mode Co-Co design, versus the tri-mode Bo-Bo class 93 design i.e. quite different locos with different haulage capabilities.
What is the largest diesel engine that will fit?

ac6000cw

Established Member
What is the largest diesel engine that will fit?
For a UK size loco, I think only Stadler would know, but the European size version has been built in the past with a 2800kW/3750hp CAT C175 engine fitted (same as used in the cl. 68). However that was before the latest emissions rules came in, so that might be more difficult to fit in now.

Status
Not open for further replies.