• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRF new 66s arriving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbtc

Veteran Member
There are never enough Class 66's in this country! :D

They are fine machines. The more the better.

Given the contrary nature of enthusiasts, any machines that are reliable, efficient and relatively “go anywhere” are going to be seen as A Bad Thing.

It may be “boring” for people stood at platform ends to have so many of the same type of loco, but if we are serious about the railway taking (and keeping) lorries off our motorways, if we want to insist on the environmental benefits of rail-haulage then we need more locomotives like the 66.

If you want lots of “clag”, lots of variety and more “excitement” then you’ll end up with a shoddy freight sector that can only cater to the kind of heavy haul flows that lorries can’t compete on (e.g. coal, steel) Since these are declining markets, that kind of operation looks pretty bleak. 66s won’t be your thing.

If you want an expanding freight sector, which is reliable and simple enough to compete with all the road-based “logistics” companies so that rail freight has a future then we need more 66s.

I’m not surprised to see enthusiasts dislike them – since a significant amount of enthusiasts are more fascinated by the unreliable/ the micro-fleets/ the ancient/ the niche.

Something as trustworthy as a 66 is probably a dirty word to such people, but the more of these reliable machines the better IMO.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member

Given the contrary nature of enthusiasts, any machines that are reliable, efficient and relatively “go anywhere” are going to be seen as A Bad Thing.

It may be “boring” for people stood at platform ends to have so many of the same type of loco, but if we are serious about the railway taking (and keeping) lorries off our motorways, if we want to insist on the environmental benefits of rail-haulage then we need more locomotives like the 66.

If you want lots of “clag”, lots of variety and more “excitement” then you’ll end up with a shoddy freight sector that can only cater to the kind of heavy haul flows that lorries can’t compete on (e.g. coal, steel) Since these are declining markets, that kind of operation looks pretty bleak. 66s won’t be your thing.

If you want an expanding freight sector, which is reliable and simple enough to compete with all the road-based “logistics” companies so that rail freight has a future then we need more 66s.

I’m not surprised to see enthusiasts dislike them – since a significant amount of enthusiasts are more fascinated by the unreliable/ the micro-fleets/ the ancient/ the niche.

Something as trustworthy as a 66 is probably a dirty word to such people, but the more of these reliable machines the better IMO.

Spot on!

Ash Bridge

Established Member
To me they are the modern day equivalent of a Brush type 4 or Class 47, back in the 1970's enthusiasts regarded those with the same affection.

Johnd

The convoy passed through Bescot at 14.50 today and all were visible other than 66779 which presumably was the one covered up.

mfranjic

Today, on 15. February 2016, GBRf´s locomotives 66773-66779 were transported from Newport Docks to Doncaster behind 66708.

25044159815_4450398557_b.jpg

24748514780_824e86dcb1_b.jpg

24926931852_e0710eae4e_b.jpg

25046086595_dc4be7e08e_b.jpg

24753059290_0cc95d7ec3_b.jpg

24421340623_b71990153b_b.jpg

Nice regards

Mario

Emblematic

The fact remains that road freight emits 3 times the pollutants/greenhouse gases as rail per tonne/km moved.

Present methods of measuring these things do not address this difference.

I'd certainly agree about greenhouse emissions, and there a multitude of reasons why rail is better than road for bulk transport. However, the emissions regulations for rail (amongst other large diesels) are running some 10-15 years behind road, and as rail vehicles tend to have much longer service lives, the story on pollutants - especially particulates, the current hot topic - is much less rosy for rail, as the average LGV is remarkably clean.
Road also has a significant retro-fit emissions upgrade market, something that rail could look at. It all takes regulation though, commercial operators never spend on this sort of thing without being forced.

Domh245

Established Member
But until we reach the situation where a truck is 20+ times more 'clean' than a train, the train will still be the better option.

Emblematic

But until we reach the situation where a truck is 20+ times more 'clean' than a train, the train will still be the better option.

Looking at one particular pollutant, particulates, the standard for trucks was 20 times cleaner than for rail! That's why the regulations had to change.
I'm not arguing in favour of road - far from it - BUT it's concerning that rail's green credentials are being eroded by commercial drivers and relatively lax regulation. It's not as if rail has been singled out for harsh treatment, rather it's specific concessions that have allowed more of these obsolete designs to arrive on our shores.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Looks like 66708 was given an extra special scrub before being sent to collect them? Very shiny and clean to match the new locos!

CosherB

Established Member

Amen to that. It's a testament to the Class 66 as a universal freight loco that there is very little in the way of alternatives now used in the UK. The combined commercial nouse of DBS, Freightliner, GBRf and others can't be that wrong when it comes to selecting Type 5 freight haulage. Freightliner have dabbled with the Class 70, but DRS went down the 68 route for very different reasons as a mixed use loco. The only 'gap' now is the possible replacement for Type 3 locos - 37's won't last forever (although I'm sure DRS and Colas will extract every last drop of use from them!) and GBRf have scoooped up the 73's for ongoing use and refurbishment as 73/9's.

At the other end of the scale, with the downturn in coal and steel traffic, the future of the Class 60's is once again looking rather bleak. With the benefit of hindsight, had BR selected the GEC/GM EMD option for the Class 60, EWS perhaps wouldn't have felt the need to order as many as 250 66's and we wouldn't have dozens of servicable Type 5 locos parked up at Toton. Looking at the background for that decision, however, you can't really blame them for doing it.

Are 66's perfect? No, certainly not, but they are demonstrably the most complete freight loco used in the last 20 years, and will be around for at least another 20 years to come.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
The only 'gap' now is the possible replacement for Type 3 locos - 37's won't last forever (although I'm sure DRS and Colas will extract every last drop of use from them!) and GBRf have scoooped up the 73's for ongoing use and refurbishment as 73/9's.

Assuming that the class 37's are used because of weight restrictions on certain routes how many routes does that amount to? I'm wondering how expensive it would be to strengthen structures on those routes to allow class 66's to be used instead.

cj_1985

I think this batch has the same/similar clusters as the last 3 batches

GB

Established Member
I think this batch has the same/similar clusters as the last 3 batches

^This^

The light cluster on 66708 is a retrofit option as seen on many of the earlier 66's. The cluster on the new 66's are on 66752 onwards which also have the wrap around driving controls.

cj_1985

^This^

The light cluster on 66708 is a retrofit option as seen on many of the earlier 66's. The cluster on the new 66's are on 66752 onwards which also have the wrap around driving controls.

I thought that the clusters fitted to 66708 (and 66709-66722, 66733-66737) were the standard clusters fitted to early (but not the earliest) batches, as such not retrofitted

rebmcr

Established Member
can't be that short of locos if one can sit around till may to await unveiling.

what do people think the livery will be?

br two tone green with small yellow warning panels is my hope / guess... actually suspect it will be some vinyl artwork type thing...

Tim

Looks like it has a red buffer beam.

melena

can't be that short of locos if one can sit around till may to await unveiling.

what do people think the livery will be?

br two tone green with small yellow warning panels is my hope / guess... actually suspect it will be some vinyl artwork type thing...

Tim

If it was to be vinyled it could have come in undercoat and not bother with being covered for the entire trip, so i hope for no fancy arty livery. If the rumours of it being named Evening Star are true then I'd hazard a guess at BR lined brunswick green, black underframe, red bufferbeams, small yellow panels.

OR

Its covered because of the rumour about it going in green and after 3 months of more rumour and guessing it'll be unveiled in bog standard GBRF livery with red bufferbeams...:lol:

Last edited:

ScotTrains

But.... There might very well be as referendum in the UK later this year on EU membership. The outcome is uncertain, but the signs seem to show a majority vote to leave. I which case the EU will cease to have jurisdiction over UK emissions policy and we can tell them what to do with their regulations. After which we'll be free to order more 66s.

Britain tends to be at the forefront of renewable/green energy technology therefore I wouldn't be too surprised if this is one piece of EU legislation/red tape that we actually keep or even improve upon to help meet our own, UK government set, emission targets.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I thought that the clusters fitted to 66708 (and 66709-66722, 66733-66737) were the standard clusters fitted to early (but not the earliest) batches, as such not retrofitted
Correct, the headlight clusters are the two-piece high intensity type that have been fitted to these locos from new, and superseded the UIC-standard three piece design fitted to the first batch of GB 66s, 66701 - 707, plus the DB Schenker and earlier Freightliner examples. Not sure whether GB was stating that it was a retrofit to the design in general however, rather than individual locos.

Unless I'm missing some subtle nuance in the design, the same design of light cluster is also carried by 66723 - 727 and 66738 - 746 (the latter being former Freightliner and DRS machines).

Last edited:

cj_1985

Correct, the headlight clusters are the two-piece high intensity type that have been fitted to these locos from new, and superseded the UIC-standard three piece design fitted to the first batch of GB 66s, 66701 - 707, plus the DB Schenker and earlier Freightliner examples.

Unless I'm missing some subtle nuance in the design, the same design of light cluster is also carried by 66723 - 727 and 66738 - 746 (the latter being former Freightliner and DRS machines).

That would be right. I forgot that 66723-66727 and 66738-66746 had the same clusters

CosherB

Established Member
Going off at a tangent slightly, it's interesting that GBRf have imported more 66s just as DBS have 16 of the class parked up at Toton, with more rumoured to be sent to the Euro Cargo Rail operation.

59CosG95

Established Member
Going off at a tangent slightly, it's interesting that GBRf have imported more 66s just as DBS have 16 of the class parked up at Toton, with more rumoured to be sent to the Euro Cargo Rail operation.

That may well be due to the fact that GBRf are winning more paths from other companies (such as DB Schenker), and that, as a result, the DB 66s are surplus to requirement.

chris89

Established Member
For those interested : https://www.facebook.com/svrofficia...946249575452745/?type=3&__mref=message_bubble

Appears for the SVR Diesel Gala, we are getting a GBRF 66 and naming for it as well.

We are extremely excited to announce that a Great British Railfreight (GBRf) Class 66 will be attending our Spring Diesel Festival.

The locomotive will also be named during the event running from May 19 - 21 and will be in service during the festival on Friday and Saturday.

Make sure you pre-book and save on your tickets to travel behind a Class 66 on Severn Valley metals!

www.svr.co.uk

Chris

CosherB

Established Member
The lined green colour-scheme which is applied to 66779 has apparently been confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.