• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRf Rail Tour 2021: This time it's personal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I hope that the unfortunate events on this Tour does not begin to have repurcussions i.e Tours in the immeadiate future being canned by either the Operators or Promotors for the fear of a similar Outbreak on board. Lets hope theres another Outbreak, this time of people using their COMMON SENSE and seeing that these events were a one off that could have affected any Tour at any time past present or future. It just so happens to have taken place on one of the more high profile Railtours by pure bad luck
And I'll say it loud and clear right now: THIS WAS A NORAVIRUS OUTBREAK NOT A COVID 19 OUTBREAK Just for anyone who wants to go down that avenue
BTW I wasn't on the Tour

At worst, it should just mean that tour operators have to plan a contingency for multi-day tours to manage a bug outbreak should one occur. i.e. picking locations where a train can be cleaned and pre-planning diversions etc. I get the impression that this week's tour had to make alot of this stuff up on the fly (I may be wrong)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
At worst, it should just mean that tour operators have to plan a contingency for multi-day tours to manage a bug outbreak should one occur. i.e. picking locations where a train can be cleaned and pre-planning diversions etc. I get the impression that this week's tour had to make alot of this stuff up on the fly (I may be wrong)
Hopefully one thing it does is make sure all water tanks etc are now checked and cleared through to be sure they don’t have dirty water in...

noddy1878

Established Member
I was on the tour and having got the sleeper back to Plymouth I woke at Exeter not feeling well at all. Once at Plymouth, I managed to walk home and a couple of hours later I was sick. I’m feeling a lot better now but the thought of food is a no no. Worse thing is I’m now steering clear of my daughter and wife so they don’t get anything and all I want to do is give them a hug!

I’m glad I didn’t have this whilst on the tour cos despite the amendments to what we did, I enjoyed it a lot.

FOCTOC

Hopefully one thing it does is make sure all water tanks etc are now checked and cleared through to be sure they don’t have dirty water in...
Wouldn't be the first time the rolling stock provider has been somewhat 'cavalier' in train preparation.

LRV3004

Apologies LRV3004, it wasn't aimed at you personally, but generally! I apologise if it came out that way, there was absolutely no malice intended!

Andy
No worries sir, I do understand your frustration, we all get a bit frazzled if we think we see the same thing repeatedly!
Best wishes dude!
Chris.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Wouldn't be the first time the rolling stock provider has been somewhat 'cavalier' in train preparation.
For 'cavalier' read 'lacking in resources' I would imagine. People do need to be realistic about what can be provided. Anyway, the point being made was about what to do in the aftermath rather than before. The sides of the coaches need a good clean as well.

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
For 'cavalier' read 'lacking in resources' I would imagine. People do need to be realistic about what can be provided. Anyway, the point being made was about what to do in the aftermath rather than before. The sides of the coaches need a good clean as well.
A lot of railtour stock from various companies is pretty rubbish at the best of times; but given questions over infected water being the cause it is surely critical that all stock providers now resolve to not only carry out a full ‘flush’ of tanks on all stock, but also use the requisite cleaning chemicals for touch points and deep cleaning. It is also critical to consider whether the filling of said tanks at certain locations should be suspended until all station lines and hoses are checked and cleaned.

Kite159

Veteran Member
A lot of railtour stock from various companies is pretty rubbish at the best of times; but given questions over infected water being the cause it is surely critical that all stock providers now resolve to not only carry out a full ‘flush’ of tanks on all stock, but also use the requisite cleaning chemicals for touch points and deep cleaning. It is also critical to consider whether the filling of said tanks at certain locations should be suspended until all station lines and hoses are checked and cleaned.

Especially at places which might not see everyday use to fill tanks.

35B

Established Member
That rather presumes that the cause was contaminated water on the train. Given the nature of norovirus, and the timing of the outbreak, I'm not sure I'd bet too much on that.

ExRes

Established Member
That rather presumes that the cause was contaminated water on the train. Given the nature of norovirus, and the timing of the outbreak, I'm not sure I'd bet too much on that.

Absolutely, norovirus could have been taken on the train by anyone, a swift glance at the NHS website shows symptoms after one to two days and can be picked up simply by one person lacking in basic hygiene practice passing it on, which is the main reason it's prevalent on cruise ships of course, I think it's rather unfair trying to point the finger at the rolling stock provider without some actual proof

LRV3004

Diverting away from the obvious subject for a moment, prior to 91130 having its moment of glory, does anyone happen to know when the last occasion was of a 91 working a service train or railtour consisting of non Mark 4 stock? Am curious!

Atlantic loco

Diverting away from the obvious subject for a moment, prior to 91130 having its moment of glory, does anyone happen to know when the last occasion was of a 91 working a service train or railtour consisting of non Mark 4 stock? Am curious!
I came across this recently.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I came across this recently.

That’s a fantastic photo.

TRXsouth

And another diversion - just curious but what did participants receive in the ‘GBRf Goody Bag’ - good value?

Alfie1014

I had 91012 on an Intercity charter (Mk1 stock) from Leeds to Kings Cross on Saturday 30th June 1990. I’d arrived in Leeds after a trip on the East Lancs Rlwy to find the scheduled London services disrupted. The charter train with my friend as chief steward was waiting departure and I asked if I could hop on board (I used to be an occasional steward on IC charters around this time) for an earlier arrival in London. Departing at 18:47 my records show us arriving at 21:15 at the Cross, not bad for 100mph stock. Looking at the Six Bells Jn resource on line 91s were used quite a bit on IC charters and land cruises in the early 90s on the ECML.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I had 91012 on an Intercity charter (Mk1 stock) from Leeds to Kings Cross on Saturday 30th June 1990. I’d arrived in Leeds after a trip on the East Lancs Rlwy to find the scheduled London services disrupted. The charter train with my friend as chief steward was waiting departure and I asked if I could hop on board (I used to be an occasional steward on IC charters around this time) for an earlier arrival in London. Departing at 18:47 my records show us arriving at 21:15 at the Cross, not bad for 100mph stock. Looking at the Six Bells Jn resource on line 91s were used quite a bit on IC charters and land cruises in the early 90s on the ECML.

I presume in the early days of IC225s, the fleet wasn't fully utilised as the ECML timetable wasn't nearly as intensive as it is now. Perhaps some effect of the early 1990s recession? Hence availability for charters.

Got home fine Sunday night but woke up feeling ill Monday morning (luckily not whilst on the tour) and spent the day feeling lousy mostly in bed. Despite the problems an enjoyable tour. Thanks GBRf.

On Moderation
I presume in the early days of IC225s, the fleet wasn't fully utilised as the ECML timetable wasn't nearly as intensive as it is now. Perhaps some effect of the early 1990s recession? Hence availability for charters.
The locos were delivered in advance of completion of wiring and ahead of Mark 4 deliveries.

And another diversion - just curious but what did participants receive in the ‘GBRf Goody Bag’ - good value?

It was included with my full works package. Main things of interest were Paul Taylor's Tours & Tribulations of charity charter trains book and a tankard. Also a £10 Kernow models voucher, grey hat, and various badges, pens and key rings.

DanNCL

Established Member
For anyone who had purchased raffle tickets that wasn't still on the train when the raffle was drawn, these were the winning tickets:

White with Grey Border 72 - GBRf 2021 Headboard
Pink 318 - GBRf 2018 Class 92 Photo
White with Green Border 501 - GBRf 2018 Class 56 Photo
Blue 26 - 225 Group Membership
White with Yellow Border 93 - Pip Dunn’s Class 37 Book
White 580 - Pip Dunn’s Class 37 Book
White with Pink Border 89 - Railcam Goody Bag
White with Blue Border 202 - Railcam Goody Bag
White 52 - Severn Valley Railway Freedom Tickets
White with Peach Border 128 - Pair of Caledonian Sleeper Tickets
White with Blue Border 513 - Class 66 Driving Sim Experience
White with Green Border 268 - Class 69 Model
White with Grey Border 466 - Class 47 Model “The Sapper”
White 553 - Class 57 Model in Network Rail Livery
White with Blue Border 922 - Class 66 Model in GBRf Livery
White with Blue Border 7 - Class 43 Warship Model
White with Peach Border 5 - Class 47 Model “Sir Gwynedd”
Pink 47 - Class 47 “Old Oak Common”
White with Green Border 996 - Class 47 “Midland Counties”
Blue 598 - 4TC in BR Research Livery
White with Pink Border 575 - 4TC Premier Charter
White with Yellow Border 475 - 4TC in Network South East Livery
White 185 - 4TC in BR Blue and Grey Livery with NSE Branding
White with Pink Border 6 - 4TC in BR Blue and Grey
White with Peach Border 398 - 4TC in BR Blue
White with Green Border 221 - 4 Tickets to Mid-Hants Xmas Lights Train
If you have won, you're asked to contact GBRF by email at [email protected]

TRXsouth

It was included with my full works package. Main things of interest were Paul Taylor's Tours & Tribulations of charity charter trains book and a tankard. Also a £10 Kernow models voucher, grey hat, and various badges, pens and key rings.
Thank you for the details. With the £10 voucher and the extensive raffle prize list featuring various models, including their exclusive 4TC sets, Kernow Model Rail Centre must have anticipated that a good number of railtour participants are also railway modellers! Perhaps they and other rail retailers may appear on future railtours as more people start travelling again.

ExRes

Established Member
I do find it slighty odd that the tour was pre-named "This time its personal". Seeing what has happened since to a few passengers.

It was given that name because of the death of a GBRf employee, the illness suffered by some of the passengers has nothing to do with it

FOCTOC

It was given that name because of the death of a GBRf employee, the illness suffered by some of the passengers has nothing to do with it
Not quite correct - the charity benefitting from monies raised on the train will be for prostate Cancer. One of the main planners of the trains is currently receiving treatment for that illness, hence the chosen charity. Not sure he'd appreciate being assumed dead just yet as he's very much still alive and kicking.

ExRes

Established Member
Not quite correct - the charity benefitting from monies raised on the train will be for prostate Cancer. One of the main planners of the trains is currently receiving treatment for that illness, hence the chosen charity. Not sure he'd appreciate being assumed dead just yet as he's very much still alive and kicking.

My apologies and best wishes to him

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

I unfortunately was ill on Sunday night / yesterday as a result of travelling on this tour (Days 3 and 4). The toilet water was a funny colour at one point.

cakefiend

£50 for a the Trials and Tribulations book, a pint glass, beanie hat, GBRf pen, Angel Trains pen, GBRf keyring, trolley token from someone (Angel?), a £10 model railway voucher and a free cab ride DVD. I wouldn't say so. Toilet paper may have been better received.

FOCTOC

£50 for a the Trials and Tribulations book, a pint glass, beanie hat, GBRf pen, Angel Trains pen, GBRf keyring, trolley token from someone (Angel?), a £10 model railway voucher and a free cab ride DVD. I wouldn't say so. Toilet paper may have been better received.
None of that is available to the staff to buy so perhaps it's better value than you think! Not my kind of thing, which is why I didn't bother buying one.

Status
Not open for further replies.