• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Geese on the Line Cause Disruption to South-Western Services — 19 April

Dr_Paul

Established Member
I saw somewhere on the internet that South-Western services on the Windsor Line had been disrupted because of animals on the line between Mortlake and Richmond, and was puzzled as I know the area well and was unable to think of anywhere any farm animals might have gained access to the track, as there are no farms near the railway. According to the Evening Standard it turns out that there were geese on the line at North Sheen station.
South Western Railway (SWR) alerted passengers to potential cancellations or delays after animals were spotted on the rail line between Mortlake and Richmond.

A driver had to halt his train when a flock of waterfowl ambled onto the tracks at North Sheen station.
I once saw a dead turkey in the six-foot on the South-Western lines at Richmond station, but it had been plucked and was oven-ready, as they say in the adverts. How it got there is anyone's guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trackman

Established Member
I once saw a dead turkey in the six-foot on the South-Western lines at Richmond station, but it had been plucked and was oven-ready, as they say in the adverts. How it got there is anyone's guess.
Are you sure it was a Turkey?, could have been a chicken? or did you see it on December 24th lol.

It's usually the swans down that way isn't it. Do Network Rail get to pay for the delay minutes as they are on the track?

davews

I did notice while waiting for the 0903 at Martins Heron on Friday that the information board on the other platform said the 0917 was delayed 'by animals on the railway'. They never state what animals and it must have been only for a short while as other trains, and my own in to Waterloo, were bang on time.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
I saw somewhere on the internet that South-Western services on the Windsor Line had been disrupted because of animals on the line between Mortlake and Richmond, and was puzzled as I know the area well and was unable to think of anywhere any farm animals might have gained access to the track, as there are no farms near the railway. According to the Evening Standard it turns out that there were geese on the line at North Sheen station.

We've had swans dealying trains on Kingston railway bridge

A good half mile, which is a long way for those goslings to walk (and with a dual carriageway in the way). It makes you wonder how they got there in the first place
Because Egyptian Geese nest in trees (incidentally they are ducks rather than geese despite the name). The parents can fly.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Because Egyptian Geese nest in trees (incidentally they are ducks rather than geese despite the name). The parents can fly.
I've seen Egyptian geese perching in trees, but I've never seen them nest there. How would the goslings have got down from the tree before they can fly?