• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Calthrop

Established Member
I'll offer King James II.
Open Floor if correct.

Your post must have appeared, while I was in the process of making my preceding one ! It was indeed James II -- before he was King; during his elder brother Charles's reign.

Open floor, as per poster's wish.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEdge

Established Member
I'm going to swing with famous for being break out characters (at least I can make that work for Dame Judy and Kelsey Grammar)

DaleCooper

Established Member
Austin?

Sir Bruce Forsyth - In his autobiography describes an intimate episode in an Austin Seven with his first wife
Lee Majors - Played Steve Austin the Six Million Dollar Man
Dame Judi Dench - Was in the film Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
Kelsey Grammer - Appeared on Saturday Night Light with Mike Myers (Austin Powers)

theageofthetra

On Moderation
At last!

Bruce sung the Gen Game theme tune
Lee Majors did the Fall Guy
Judy sung As Time Goes By
Kelsey sung Frasiers
Paul Nicholas did Just Good Friends
Dennis did a few but hest know for Minder.

Your intro..

deltic1989

Established Member

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Assuming you are excluding replicas, reconstructions and similar and are looking for an actual physical original ancient airframe that is still flying, I would hazard an initial guess, probably wrong, that it's going to be a Tiger Moth.

deltic1989

Established Member
Replicas are excluded, the aircraft I have in mind is to the best of my knowledge as original as it is possible to be.
And unfortunately it isn't a Tiger Moth.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Keeping the aircraft theme. During the height of the cold war in the 60's the Soviets developed an aircraft which was feared by many in the West. Many years later once one was finally examined it was discovered that the radar system still used outdated valves rather than transistors.

What was the aircraft & why were valves still used?

DaleCooper

Established Member
Did the high speed of the MIG 25 and consequent aerodynamic heating create temperatures in the airframe that were too great for transistors?

krus_aragon

Established Member
I'd suggest it was as a precaution against nuclear attack: valves are less vulnerable to electromagnetic pulses than transistors are.