• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jimbob52

'The Cookies' is correct.

I declare Perryman the overall winner, narrowly ahead of Martinsh.

The keys to the Brill Building are in the post and I invite you to take the floor.

perryman

Very kind, thank you.

Russia is the largest country in the world, by land mass, and the capital Moscow is its largest city. What is the next largest country for which the capital city is also its largest city?

perryman

Argentina?
I didn't expect the answer to last long, well done @Calthrop

Argentina & Buenos Aires is the correct answer. The answers between Russia & Argentina are:

Canada - Toronto/Ottawa
China - Shanghai/Beijing,
United States - New York City/Washington DC
Brazil - Sāo Paolo/Brasilia
Australia - Sydney/Canberra
India - Mumbai/New Delhi

FYI, the country ranking is in land & water mass although if one were to count only land mass, Canada would drop a couple of places but the answer to the question would have remained the same.

Calthrop

Established Member
Thanks. Watery place, that Canada...

Taking it that it's my go --

Who were the Ladies from Hell, and the Poison Dwarfs?

SteveM70

Established Member
The Ladies from Hell was a nickname the Germans had for some/all of the Scottish regiments in the Great War because they fought in kilts

Calthrop

Established Member
...and were perceived by the Germans, to be especially ferocious. You're "on the button" there; now, what about the Dwarfs?

MotCO

Established Member
If it's war-related, how about the Gurkhas? The only other Poison Dwarf I recall was someone in Dallas (thre tv series, not the state!)

Calthrop

Established Member
World War I-related, yes; but neither Nepalese nor televisual Texan, I'm afraid :smile: .

Gloster

Established Member
The ‘ Bantam’ regiments of soldiers who were below regulation height for The Great War? I think there may have been one from Glasgow that was even shorter than the others.

Calthrop

Established Member
The ‘ Bantam’ regiments of soldiers who were below regulation height for The Great War? I think there may have been one from Glasgow that was even shorter than the others.

Correct ! Those in authority came to reckon that with the way things were, they could no longer be too fussy about chaps' height: plus, modern warfare more overall about weaponry, than brawn. Hence the Bantams -- a good many of whom had chips on their shoulders from being mocked about their small stature, and proved, when they got a chance at hand-to-hand, to be vicious fighters.

@SteveM70 and Gloster: you've each got half of the question. Might I invite you to fight it out, Jock v. Bantam? -- as to who sets the next one...

SteveM70

Established Member
Thank you

Where would you find aces, witches, tigers,panthers, stars, robins and wolves?

SteveM70

Established Member
I believe that is Speedway. Used to watch the Poole Pirates.

Well that didn’t last long! Yes, they’re suffixes of the top flight British speedway teams

The tapes are up and the track is yours

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Where would you find aces, witches, tigers,panthers, stars, robins and wolves?
Belle Vue Aces (Manchester);
Ipswich Witches;
Sheffield Tigers;
Peterborough Panthers;
Kings Lynn Stars;
Swindon Robins; and
Wolverhampton Wolves.

On Which tv series will you find these Butlers or Manservants please :

1/ Alfred Pennyworth

2/ Alf Stokes

3/ Angus Hudson

4/ Banks