• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEdge

Established Member
Drop a little clue then.

The part of the film which attracted attention was the CGI produced for a plot critical part of the film.

TheEdge

Established Member
No, sadly not in this case.

Another clue then, the film starred Matthew McConaughey and Anne Hathaway.

DaleCooper

Established Member
I want to give it to you but you are just a bit too wide of the point, but you are very close.
The only other part of that film that I can remember is where Matthew McConaughey materialised behind a bookcase or something. That image has always stayed with me and I can recall very little other than that and the big waves.

TheEdge

Established Member
Sadly not. I don't know what clue I can give now that won't just be the answer...

It is Interstellar, but it's one very specific very big plot point that hit the scientific media.

TheEdge

Established Member
Is it something about time dilation?

I think for the sake of brevity and moving along I'll just give it to you.

It was actually the rendering of Gargantua, the black hole/wormhole. Rather than Christopher Nolan deciding what it would look like it was generated using the correct physics and maths and produced some of the best visualisations of a black hole, multiple papers written about what it showed about gravitational lensing and light around a black hole. One render was so realistic it had to be dropped because it was black and blue and irregularly lit, the fear being the average viewer wouldn't understand what they were looking at.

DaleCooper

Established Member
I think for the sake of brevity and moving along I'll just give it to you.

It was actually the rendering of Gargantua, the black hole/wormhole. Rather than Christopher Nolan deciding what it would look like it was generated using the correct physics and maths and produced some of the best visualisations of a black hole, multiple papers written about what it showed about gravitational lensing and light around a black hole. One render was so realistic it had to be dropped because it was black and blue and irregularly lit, the fear being the average viewer wouldn't understand what they were looking at.
Well you do get time dilation in the vicinity of black holes so I was sort of right...perhaps.

The next question is for our older listeners:

While gazing at the night sky what did Charles (Binkie Huckaback) and Fiona (Dame Celia Molestrangler) see below Orion's Belt?

Loppylugs

Correct, two regular characters from the radio series "Round the Horne".

Your turn...
Thank-you. A truly funny programme and wonderful acting!

Ok. Let's stick with Round the Horne. Three parts basically.

Which actor portrayed Seamus Android, an Irish radio reporter, based on which famous Irish television personality ?
In which television role did this actor later become a regular performer ?

Bill Pertwee played Seamus Android which was based on Eamonn Andrews loosely (tonight This is yr life!!),

He was often found on Dads Army playing ARP Hodges - A thorn in Captain Mainwarings side.

He was also the warm up man for Dads Army when filmed in front of an audience.

Loppylugs

Bill Pertwee played Seamus Android which was based on Eamonn Andrews loosely (tonight This is yr life!!),

He was often found on Dads Army playing ARP Hodges - A thorn in Captain Mainwarings side.

He was also the warm up man for Dads Army when filmed in front of an audience.
All perfectly correct. The stage is yours.

Thank you....

Sporting Question next........

Which Premiership manager was in charge of 2 different clubs against the same team on back to back fixtures ?

For a bonus name the 3 Premiership teams involved please ?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thank you....

Sporting Question next........

Which Premiership manager was in charge of 2 different clubs against the same team on back to back fixtures ?

For a bonus name the 3 Premiership teams involved please ?

@444045 - When you say Premiership do mean rugby, or Premier League (football)?

Didn't Dean Smith manage two consecutive games against Southampton for different clubs? If so then he went to Norwich, but can't remember where he was before that.
Yes you are correct. Dean Smith was at Aston Villa but got sacked after they lost 2-0 to Southampton and then became Norwich
manager whose next match was against Southampton and they won it 2-1.

Please ask the next question.....