• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

linmanfu

Ah ! Turl Street, isn't it? -- runs between Broad and High, and Jesus College lies on it. Taking it that that is indeed what you were looking for: I attended that seat of learning (not that particular college), for heaven's sake -- albeit long ago, and disastrously. So -- assuming "the Turl" is indeed the answer -- I certainly don't deserve the next go; if things are thus -- open floor, please.
Yes, that's it! The question was inspired by the fact that Turl Street appeared several hundred pages ago in this thread (being new here, I can entertain myself with old questions too!). It's definitely your pitch if you want it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Yes, that's it! The question was inspired by the fact that Turl Street appeared several hundred pages ago in this thread (being new here, I can entertain myself with old questions too!). It's definitely your pitch if you want it.

Thanks, but nope -- I'm determined to wear sackcloth and ashes here ! Let it be "open floor", I beg.

Calthrop

Established Member
A book was published some decades ago, about steam locos in eastern Europe ("past and present" thereof, as at that date). Overall judgment of it by readers, was that it contained much useful and interesting stuff; but was marred by seemingly having been rather hastily slapped together -- compounded by dodgy proofreading. At one point there were mentioned within a few lines of text, the regions of Slovenia, Slovania, and Slavonia. One of those: in fact doesn't exist in real life, and never has. Which one?

Calthrop

Established Member
1 in 3 guess - Slovania. I assume Slavonia gave rise to Slavs.
Damn you beat me to it. Slovenia and Slavonia definitely exist so process of elimination says Slovania

You gentlemen are both right -- @MotCO, having posted answer earlier, gets to set the next question. Slovenia is, of course, a sovereign nation: the most north-westerly part of what used to be Yugoslavia. Slavonia is the easternmost "protrusion" of Croatia, containing such towns as Osijek and Bjelovar -- its relationship to the word "Slav" is, I'd think, one for the learned scholars. There has been in quite recent years, a TV medieval-fantasy drama called "Slovania"; but it's never been a real place.

Over to you @MotCO.

MotCO

Established Member
Who was the first prime minister to hold all four main offices of State (i.e. Chancellor, Home Secretary and Foreign Secretary)?

Calthrop

Established Member
Getting really silly -- Tom takes a cruise up the River Seine from its mouth, landing finally at Argenteuil; after breaking off en route for a side-trip to visit his pal Monet at Giverny.

DaleCooper

Established Member
Getting really silly -- Tom takes a cruise up the River Seine from its mouth, landing finally at Argenteuil; after breaking off en route for a side-trip to visit his pal Monet at Giverny.
I'm sure you could be even sillier if you really tried.

Hint: The painting features quite prominently in one of his films and inspires the film's title.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Which football team won SPFL League Two in Scotland last season, at the very first time of asking?