• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ashley Hill

Established Member
The only other one I can think of was Russ Abbott's character but I don't know the name as I wasn't really watching it then.
Luther Hobdyke (Hobbo) played as you say by Russ Abbott. As you correctly had the other four too I declare you the winner. Your turn to have a sip of wine….

Greenheart

What are the seven ways in baseball that a batter can get to first base?

A couple of them can possibly be split into different categories, I'm looking for the seven main ways.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
One must be to hit the ball cleanly/fairly, and jog round whilst the fielding team are still retrieving it.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Four "Ball" calls is one, and I think that a body hit (pitcher throws the ball and makes contact with the batter) is another.

Does the new pitcher clock (in MLB, to speed things up) have a walk to first base as a penalty against the pitcher?

I don't think that steals are practical (though they are for 2nd-4th bases).

SteveM70

Established Member
Hit

Walk (base on balls)

Intentional walk

Run on a passed ball (catcher error) or wild pitch (pitcher error)???

Hit by pitch

Dropped foul tip on third strike???

EDIT - I think a pitcher balking with 3 balls counts as a fourth ball and therefore a walk

Last edited:

Greenheart

Hit

Walk (base on balls)

Intentional walk

Run on a passed ball (catcher error) or wild pitch (pitcher error)???

Hit by pitch

Dropped foul tip on third strike???

EDIT - I think a pitcher balking with 3 balls counts as a fourth ball and therefore a walk
I think you have most of them:
Hit
Walk (including base on balls and intentional walk)
Hit by pitch
Dropped third strike - never seen this in MLB but it was in an episode of Quantum Leap once, in a delightful little homage to The Natural.
Error - you mention catcher error but this would be any defensive error without which the batter would have been caught out or grounded out at first.
Defensive interference - most balks will not advance the batter (just runners already on base), but there are some instances where it would if the ball is delivered, but under this would be any member of the fielding side unfairly preventing the batter from reaching first.

There is a seventh way that is not that unusual that could be officially recorded - clue - the batter hits the ball into fair territory in the infield and starts running with team mates on base.

SteveM70

Established Member
There is a seventh way that is not that unusual that could be officially recorded - clue - the batter hits the ball into fair territory in the infield and starts running with team mates on base.

Batter hits the ball and the ball hits a running teammate?

Greenheart

I'm overthinking it and/or being thick.

Fielder's choice
That's it, well done, batter reaches first because a fielder chooses to throw out a runner trying to reach third say, when there was a straightforward out at first; in such circs the batter isn't credited with a Hit.

Your turn to come out of the bull pen.

SteveM70

Established Member
I believe he thought 29 000 feet exactly would not look good.

That’s it. The survey he led, the most accurate to date at the time, recorded the height as exactly 29,000 feet, and he arranged for two feet to be added so that it didn’t look like an estimate.

Your turn at the theodolite

SteveM70

Established Member
Its Brian Deane, Sheffield United v Manchester United. Very early on, certainly inside the first ten minutes.

Open floor (assuming I'm right) as I'm away from mid-morning until Monday

Peterthegreat

Established Member
Its Brian Deane, Sheffield United v Manchester United. Very early on, certainly inside the first ten minutes.

Open floor (assuming I'm right) as I'm away from mid-morning until Monday
Brian Deane it was scoring after 5 minutes. He also scored later in the same game from the spot as the Blades won 2-1.

Open floor.

yoyothehobo

3 different men have witnessed something 35 times, which is more than anyone else on the planet.

What did they witness?