• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

341o2

Established Member
The statue at the Royal Oak is of someone who has had nothing to do with railways, (as far as I am aware) Brunel's Bristol statue is outside Temple Meads.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

341o2

Established Member
Adge Cutler?
Is the right answer.
Adge Cutler and the Wurzels was formed in 1966, and their songs were described concerning cider drinking and farmyard manure.
Their first recording was made at the aforementioned pub. The statue was unveiled at the 50th anniversary of that event
On the way home from a concert, Adge crashed his car with fatal consequences in 1974.
the band continued as the Wurzels with hits such as "I've Got a Brand New Combine Harvester", a parody of Melanie's Brand New Key, and "I am a Cider Drinker"
The cider jar passes to you

RDP

Cheers (hic!!!).

Staying on the theme of the Wurzels, in addition to the two mentioned above they recorded at least three more parodies. Can you name any of them.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I am a cider drinker, I drinks it all of the day, ooh arr ooh arr aye. Ooh arr ooh are aye. (Una Paloma Blanca,George Baker Selection)
I’ve got a brand new combined harvester and I’ll give you the key. (Brand New Key,Melanie)

RDP

I am a cider drinker, I drinks it all of the day, ooh arr ooh arr aye. Ooh arr ooh are aye. (Una Paloma Blanca,George Baker Selection)
I’ve got a brand new combined harvester and I’ll give you the key. (Brand New Key,Melanie)
Those were the two already mentioned in post 26584. There are at least three others.

xotGD

Established Member
Blackbird, I'll have thee.

Not sure if this is the title, but is certainly one of the lines in an awful song promoting aggressive behaviour towards wildlife.

341o2

Established Member
I had hoped someone else would come up with the right answer, but two of the other three Wurzels parodies are Speedy Gonzales and I Was Farmer Bill's Cowman (I was Kaiser Bill's Batman)

It were a moonlight night in old Keynsham
And as I strolled along the banks of the old river Chew
Suddenly, I hears the plaintive cry of a young Radstock girl

RDP

That will do. The third one was The Tractor Song, a parody of The Push Bike Song.

Your turn with the scrumpy.

xotGD

Established Member
Is this the book that foresaw terrorists crashing planes into buildings?

Greenheart

I remember a Monty Python sketch where this feller made a deliberately misleading language phrase book book, with insults instead of accurate translations. Is it something like that?

DaleCooper

Established Member
I remember a Monty Python sketch where this feller made a deliberately misleading language phrase book book, with insults instead of accurate translations. Is it something like that?
No quite but near enough. It was the Portuguese-English phrasebook "English as She is Spoke". He apparently used a French–English dictionary to translate an earlier Portuguese–French phrase book which is how it came to include the sublime "to craunch a marmoset" a garbled translation of the French idiomatic phrase "croquer le marmot". Your turn...