• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveM70

Established Member
One of the two main characters in one of the most highly acclaimed British films of the last 40 years is called Marwood, but is never referred to by that name in the film's script or its credits, although he was in the screenplay.

What is the film called?

DaleCooper

Established Member
One of the two main characters in one of the most highly acclaimed British films of the last 40 years is called Marwood, but is never referred to by that name in the film's script or its credits, although he was in the screenplay.

What is the film called?
Withnail and I

Calthrop

Established Member
Which West Indian island suffered disastrous volcanic eruptions in 1995; leading to at least half of the island being "put out of action" -- a situation which essentially still obtains today?

Calthrop

Established Member
= Martinique?
Montserrat.
Martinique suffered a disaster of the kind, but in 1902. The 1995 victim was indeed Montserrat (incidentally, one of the rather few remaining Overseas Territories which while not forming part of the UK itself, are part of its sovereign territory -- self-governing internally only).

@Gloster: yours to set the next question.

Gloster

Established Member
Montserrat was named after a mountain with a monastery. Where? (The nearest major city or well-known location, not just the country.)

Calthrop

Established Member
Monastery in mountain setting very near Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain. (There was once a steam-worked rack railway to said monastery; closed, I think, some time in the 1950s.)

Calthrop

Established Member
Which American poet took, in that country's Civil War: a role, non-combatant, but generally reckoned very praiseworthy on his part (he would likely have been a bit old for the front line, anyway)? The name will suffice: but "virtual bonus points" for identifying what it was that he did.

Calthrop

Established Member
Longfellow?
He was an abolitionist I believe.
Not him, I'm afraid -- though Longfellow was indeed a protagonist of the abolition of slavery; and later, pleaded earnestly for post-Civil-War reconciliation between north and south.