• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Are you including those which are cathedrals in name only - eg former cathedrals which are now in the hands of the Church of Scotland which technically aren't cathedrals?

backontrack

Established Member
Are you including those which are cathedrals in name only - eg former cathedrals which are now in the hands of the Church of Scotland which technically aren't cathedrals?
Yes, I'm including Scottish cathedrals.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Unlucky I'm afraid - the correct answer falls under the aegis of a western diocese...
"Diocese" implies that it's not a Church of Scotland/Free Kirk former cathedral. My next guess was going to be St Moluag's on Lismore, which looks very small compared to other "cathedrals".

And of course, "north of Hadrian's wall" doesn't necessarily mean it's in Scotland.

*head scratching*

backontrack

Established Member
The UK's smallest cathedral is the Cathedral of the Isles, in the town of Millport, on the island of Great Cumbrae in Scotland.
Great Cumbrae can be reached by a short ferry crossing from Largs.

Cathedral-in-Spring-768x517.jpg

(not my photo)

OPEN FLOOR

backontrack

Established Member
"Diocese" implies that it's not a Church of Scotland/Free Kirk former cathedral. My next guess was going to be St Moluag's on Lismore, which looks very small compared to other "cathedrals".

And of course, "north of Hadrian's wall" doesn't necessarily mean it's in Scotland.

*head scratching*
Whereas St Moluag's is Church of Scotland, the Cathedral of the Isles is Episcopalian.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

I knew this would be slightly controversial, which is why I sought clarification. You simply replied that Scottish cathedrals were acceptable. You did not specify that they had to be RC/Episocopalian. The Church of Scotland doesn't do cathedrals, but some of their places of worship are named as cathedrals.

Whereas St Moluag's is Church of Scotland, the Cathedral of the Isles is Episcopalian.

I shall quibble no more - I have the Sabbath to observe ;) The floor remains open.

backontrack

Established Member
I knew this would be slightly controversial, which is why I sought clarification. You simply replied that Scottish cathedrals were acceptable. You did not specify that they had to be RC/Episocopalian. The Church of Scotland doesn't do cathedrals, but some of their places of worship are named as cathedrals.
And it was in response to my recognition of my immense cock-up that I opened up the floor. :oops:

Calthrop

Established Member
As it's open floor -- on a different topic: in which countries are the following "big-on-wildlife" national parks?

Gir Forest

Lauhanvuori

Murchison Falls

Predelta

fowler9

Established Member
As it's open floor -- on a different topic: in which countries are the following "big-on-wildlife" national parks?

Gir Forest

Lauhanvuori

Murchison Falls

Predelta
I think I have the second and third, not first and fourth alas. After a quick google I know I deffo got three wrong. Ha ha. I recognise Murchison from another country I have been to. (Promise I don't google if I don't know the answer. Not got a clue where one and four are so wasn't going to give an answer).

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
I think I have the second and third, not first and fourth alas. After a quick google I know I deffo got three wrong. Ha ha. I recognise Murchison from another country I have been to. (Promise I don't google if I don't know the answer. Not got a clue where one and four are so wasn't going to give an answer).

Would you like to submit the answer for No. 2? -- you could be in with a chance...

If it's any help to folks: all four parks are on different continents.

fowler9

Established Member

Gir Forest

Lauhanvuori

Murchison Falls

Predelta
I think I have the second and third, not first and fourth alas.
Would you like to submit the answer for No. 2? -- you could be in with a chance...

If it's any help to folks: all four parks are on different continents.
i was going to say Finland for 2. I thought 3 was New Zealand. Part of what I said there made no sense, if I intend to submit an answer I won't Google. Never googled 2. I would still guess at Finland.