• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General reminiscences about train to ferry travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veteran Member
My only train to ferry experience was as an 11 year old doing a mini cruise to Gothenburg with my parents back in the mid 90s. We used the dedicated boat train from Liverpool Street - a very lightly loaded Class 86 plus Mk2s with a Mk1 buffet/restaurant car (out of use) from what I remember. A broken down freight train between Ingatestone and Chelmsford meant that we arrived at Parkstone Quay about an hour behind schedule and the Princess of Scandinavia left about 90 mins late as a result. The ship always being held for the train!

What followed was an extremely rough crossing as the captain tried to make up time and I learnt the true meaning of seasickness. The way back was calm as a millpond however!
Welcome aboard! IIRC the boat trains for Gothenburg (and Hamburg?) were worked by the Hook sets which had long layovers at each end, hence the generous provision.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hawkwood Junc

Thanks for the welcome!

The Hook sets working the Gothenburg's would make sense. Back in those days I think DFDS had a route to Esbjerg as well as the Hamburg and Gothenburg routes. All gone now sadly.

Gloster

Established Member
Thanks for the welcome!

The Hook sets working the Gothenburg's would make sense. Back in those days I think DFDS had a route to Esbjerg as well as the Hamburg and Gothenburg routes. All gone now sadly.
Esbjerg-Harwich was one of DFDS’ most important routes: it started as an Esbjerg-Thamshaven route in 1875 and transferred to Harwich in 1880; it ceased in 2014. DFDS is short for Det Forenede Dampskipsselskab (The United Steamship Company), founded in 1866.

davetheguard

Established Member
I travelled to France via Newhaven (Harbour) in 1986; I was staying in Dieppe and, arriving at around 3:30 in the morning, I wished I was travelling on to Paris on the boat train waiting at Dieppe Maritime, right on the harbourside. Instead, I found a cafe open overnight and waited until I could start exploring the town, before the youth hostel opened. I'm not sure that many places in the UK would have a civilised cafe open at that time in the morning.

I took the night boat from Newhaven to Dieppe a couple of times in the 1980s pre tunnel (as well as the day boat the other way which was more civilised); I think the boat train left London at 20.00 with arrival in Paris next morning in the middle of the rush hour.

I found this picture of the boat train at Dieppe Maritime online; apparently it is an old postcard.

Attachments

• Dieppe from an old postcard.jpg
    Dieppe from an old postcard.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 16

Bungle158

During the early 80s, l ran a backpacker hostel in Athens as a winter 'job'. Once May came, the island season opened and it was time to rattle down to Piraeus port, on the Elektriki metro, in search of pastures new. The early evening trains in particular, were always thronged with travellers heading for overnight ferries.

The 15Km run from central Athens passed through some pretty grotty areas, particularly as the line approached Piraeus, but there was an undeniable aura of romance.

Occasionally a wooden bodied set would turn up, but it was the off white, 1950s German built trains which predominated. They bumped and clattered down the line, then into the all-over roofed terminus, right on the port.

From there it was a short but hazardous journey across a main road and onto the quays. Up to 20 ships, often former Channel ferries, would be ready to engulf the human tide. Invariably, the purser's crew would take one look at backpack bearers and say, "Upstairs and to the back". Shorthand...or shortspeak, for open deck class

WesternLancer

Established Member
I took the night boat from Newhaven to Dieppe a couple of times in the 1980s pre tunnel (as well as the day boat the other way which was more civilised); I think the boat train left London at 20.00 with arrival in Paris next morning in the middle of the rush hour.

I found this picture of the boat train at Dieppe Maritime online; apparently it is an old postcard.
Interesting - as that must depict the station on the quayside that predated the 'art deco' styled building that I well recall from 1970s&80s trips on the route.
Your timings for the night boat train fit my recollection from my c1987 trip.

station as in background in image posted here from what looks like that era

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
Interesting - as that must depict the station on the quayside that predated the 'art deco' styled building that I well recall from 1970s&80s trips on the route.
Dieppe Maritime station was badly damaged in World War II, possibly during the raid in 1942; it was later demolished and a new station opened in 1953. My father travelled through around 1951 and described it as a bit of a shambles.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Dieppe Maritime station was badly damaged in World War II, possibly during the raid in 1942; it was later demolished and a new station opened in 1953. My father travelled through around 1951 and described it as a bit of a shambles.
Thanks for the added info - I was wondering about it's actual date and history when just seeking a pic, as I had a suspicion it was probably post war (ie not from the height of art deco, as it wasn't really architecturally correct for that - but it was a lot better than Newhaven Marine station which I suppose was my immediate point of comparison at the time!).

Thanks for the added info - I was wondering about it's actual date and history when just seeking a pic, as I had a suspicion it was probably post war (ie not from the height of art deco, as it wasn't really architecturally correct for that - but it was a lot better than Newhaven Marine station which I suppose was my immediate point of comparison at the time!).
IMG_20210106_150416.jpgHere's a photo I took of a 231D at Dieppe Maritime awaiting departure to Paris St Lazaire in 1964. I had a bit of a primitive camera in those days.

Status
Not open for further replies.