• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Get your wallet or chequebook out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordy

Established Member
I'll have 56120 and an 08 please!

I notice 37670 is also in the list, anyone for a red tractor?

Dennis

Established Member
Will any of these fit into a standard size garage?

O L Leigh

Yes - once the scrapmen have cut them up, sent them to the steelworks to be melted down and then subsequently reformed into the panels of a new Mini.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Shame that they cost an load of money! i wouldn't mind an Class 37, 56 or an 60

i'm guessing they cost over £100.000, something like that

Locos have been picked up for much less than that, but you would probably spent that sort of money on it over the following years. Buying a loco is the easy bit, all it needs is money, afterwards you need major commitment as well!

dstrat

Surely one of these could be picked up for a couple of k? And if you didn't have the money to run it, at least you got a massive doorstop :D

MCR247

Established Member
Surely one of these could be picked up for a couple of k?

But thats not the main problem!
How do you transport it from there?
How do you restore it?
Where do you keep it?

sprinterguy

Established Member
Ah fantastic, after owning the Hornby model of 56058 for years, finally the opportunity to own the real thing! :D

So I'll take that, the Mainline Freight 60 and 37707 please! 37707 at Bescot looks to be in pretty good condition for being stored for so long. Now then, has anybody got a couple of hundred yards of track for me to store the things on? :lol:

Does anybody else think that it's criminal that heavy freight locomotives that are less than 20 years old are already being disposed of, potentially for scrap, when they could be good for another 20 years? Especially when you think that the Pacers and Sprinters in everyday passenger service are 5 years older than that, and show no signs of being withdrawn anytime soon. I think something is a bit backwards here.

Last edited:

theblackwatch

Established Member
20 years is a long time to last compared to a lot of other locos, for example the Class 35, 42/43 and 52 hydraulics. Even the Deltics, quite a few of the Class 46s and some of the Class 50s lasted little over 20 years.

sprinterguy

Established Member
You've got a point there. It just seems a waste that locos that cost quite a lot to build, and spent quite a while getting over initial teething troubles, are being offered for sale so soon. I'm hoping that another freight operator may be interested in a few of the 60s, but I can't think who would want to take them on.

I also note that this is going to leave precious few class 56s registered on the National network (admittedly doing nothing more than rotting away in sidings).

I can't believe the amount of locos going, We can only hope that at least some get saved by other companies or preservation comes to the rescue. :cry:

I have always wanted to buy an old loco, or more realistically an old coach, and have it in my back yard (yes there is room). Obviously it would never run again but id have it looking like it could from the outside. In the case of the coach it would make a great place for a model railway, nice platform decking around the outside, oh the dreams.......

sprinterguy

Established Member
Obviously it would never run again but id have it looking like it could from the outside. In the case of the coach it would make a great place for a model railway, nice platform decking around the outside, oh the dreams.......
What a wonderful thought. It'd be great to have an old railway carriage in the garden, cosmetically restored and acting as a model railway room. One day, just maybe...Actually, an old pre-nationalisation vent van, of which there are hundreds strewn around the countryside in the nations' farmyards, in various states of dereliction, would still offer a pretty decent amount of space for a substantial 00 guage layout.

I suspect that the Class 60 Preservation Society may be having a little bit of a panic over this latest tender list: I imagine they were expecting a little bit more time to gather funds together before the locos started being offered for sale.

Sir_Clagalot

someone once said that there is 20k worth of copper inside a 37 once recovered by the scrapyards....

route:oxford

Established Member
How many of the 37s are in full working order with full mainline certification?

A post in a duplicated thread pointed out that 60001 is up for sale, isn't it traditional that this one would go for preservation in NRM?

sprinterguy

Established Member
A post in a duplicated thread pointed out that 60001 is up for sale, isn't it traditional that this one would go for preservation in NRM?

Only if the NRM decided that the class was sufficiently historically noteworthy: They declined to take on 56006 (now also up for sale) for this reason, apparently 56s aren't worthy of the NRM <( They've got a 47 now, and they've got dibs on 58050 when it returns from its' European adventures, who knows if they'd be interested in a 60.

Only if the NRM decided that the class was sufficiently historically noteworthy: They declined to take on 56006 (now also up for sale) for this reason, apparently 56s aren't worthy of the NRM <( They've got a 47 now, and they've got dibs on 58050 when it returns from its' European adventures, who knows if they'd be interested in a 60.

Hopefully with the large preservation movement we will never again see classes of locomotive disappear completely unlike the early days of the diesels... Can't see the NRMs logic there though...

TDK

Established Member
You've got a point there. It just seems a waste that locos that cost quite a lot to build, and spent quite a while getting over initial teething troubles, are being offered for sale so soon. I'm hoping that another freight operator may be interested in a few of the 60s, but I can't think who would want to take them on.

I also note that this is going to leave precious few class 56s registered on the National network (admittedly doing nothing more than rotting away in sidings).

It may seem a waste but it is cheaper to buy and maintain a 66 than to attempt on getting these old loco's going, cost analysis I am afraid rules

YorkshireBear

Established Member
shame but most have had huge engine failures etc etc don't see why a 56 isn't worth saving but to be fair we have a couple in preservation (3?)

Would be nice for NRM to take it, maybe something to display at york seen as everything else has been shipped off to shildon.

Benbo

So 37670 is also on the tender list? Makes me wonder who on earth decided to spend £££ on painting it in to new corporate colours only to then decide to sell it! Great decision that.........

PaulW

So 37670 is also on the tender list? Makes me wonder who on earth decided to spend £££ on painting it in to new corporate colours only to then decide to sell it! Great decision that.........

It failed, has no heat (and along with it, potential) and it'll get some ching back to pay for some diggers to knock more depots down!

What a wonderful thought. It'd be great to have an old railway carriage in the garden, cosmetically restored and acting as a model railway room. One day, just maybe...Actually, an old pre-nationalisation vent van, of which there are hundreds strewn around the countryside in the nations' farmyards, in various states of dereliction, would still offer a pretty decent amount of space for a substantial 00 guage layout.

I suspect that the Class 60 Preservation Society may be having a little bit of a panic over this latest tender list: I imagine they were expecting a little bit more time to gather funds together before the locos started being offered for sale.

Quite shocked, but no panic ;) The fact is, we weren't expecting any for a while longer, and with another 80 available in the future we will be ok to wait and be in a better position. However, interest has been registered for this current crop.

Status
Not open for further replies.