• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Get your wallet or chequebook out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If I had the money, none of the above. I'd buy a slammer instead.

There's one sat in the NRM's south yard slowly rotting away if you had the money of course. It's the one thing that annoys me about the NRM, that they don't pay enough attention to anything post-steam, they must have a 20 or so kettles on display (with lots of info and beautifully presented) but perhaps only 5 or 6 diesels and maybe 2 electric locos (with little info and most tucked away in a corner). Missing out essentially the last 50 years of railway history in the process.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Saw that other day and thought...... hmm it looks like its dumped. Reminded me of them cotswold rail 47's at doncaster.

Shame really hopefully there'll get there arse in gear and preserve some. But at end of day WCRC DRS and all preserved railways have loads of the older stock (not so much electric i know)

Established Member
Perhaps a change for a new freight operator to come onto the scene, buying a few 60s? Or maybe DRS getting a couple?

GBRF Managers hinted to me in January this year that they had been in contact a few times in the past 2 years enquiring if any would be sold in the near future.

Benbo

GBRF?

Can I ask what use they would possibly have for them? I assumed they were happy with sheds & ED's and now 92's! :D

yorksrob

Veteran Member
There's one sat in the NRM's south yard slowly rotting away if you had the money of course. It's the one thing that annoys me about the NRM, that they don't pay enough attention to anything post-steam, they must have a 20 or so kettles on display (with lots of info and beautifully presented) but perhaps only 5 or 6 diesels and maybe 2 electric locos (with little info and most tucked away in a corner). Missing out essentially the last 50 years of railway history in the process.

Yeah, whenever I go back home to Ashford, if I go past Chart Leacon, I always have a look to see if the VOP's are still there. Gently getting more grimey by the moment.

MCR247

Established Member
Quite shocked, but no panic ;) The fact is, we weren't expecting any for a while longer, and with another 80 available in the future we will be ok to wait and be in a better position. However, interest has been registered for this current crop.

Would it not be a good idea for C60G to buy one or two unservicable ones to use for spare parts now and then wait for some more to come up for sale which may be less work? :)

PaulW

Funds restrict these things. Scrap value is high, so only a high bid against a scrap merchant will see one preserved. Besides, the 20 that have been put up are heaps (bar 60038?).

There's one sat in the NRM's south yard slowly rotting away if you had the money of course.

That would be this one...... http://www.photoboxgallery.com/3006575/photo?photo_id=677584661&vendor_id=3006575

There is also this on at Midland Railway Centre, I have no idea who actually owns it, What the plans are or why its there?

http://www.photoboxgallery.com/3006575/photo?photo_id=645477394&vendor_id=3006575
http://www.photoboxgallery.com/3006575/photo?photo_id=645479077&vendor_id=3006575
http://www.photoboxgallery.com/3006575/photo?photo_id=645479606&vendor_id=3006575
http://www.photoboxgallery.com/3006575/photo?photo_id=645480738&vendor_id=3006575
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's the one thing that annoys me about the NRM, that they don't pay enough attention to anything post-steam, they must have a 20 or so kettles on display (with lots of info and beautifully presented) but perhaps only 5 or 6 diesels and maybe 2 electric locos (with little info and most tucked away in a corner). Missing out essentially the last 50 years of railway history in the process.

I have to agree, Its lovely to be able to get up close to some of these steam engines, but like you say, post steam is pretty thin on the ground, after all being 30 now, diesel hauled passenger trains and early DMUs are my railway history, and it would be great to see some in the collection, Maybe a lovely 3 car BR blue/grey class 101, or a pair of 20s, but that's for another topic.....

theblackwatch

Established Member
There is already a 101 in the national collection, and you can regularly ride on it. For all those who think the NRM does not show any interest in diesels, are you aware that three are having a lot of work done on them at the moment? You can even make a donation toward the restoration of one online. Also bear in mind that considering the number of classes of each, the NRM has a much higher proportion of diesel classes than steam.

There is already a 101 in the national collection, and you can regularly ride on it. For all those who think the NRM does not show any interest in diesels, are you aware that three are having a lot of work done on them at the moment? You can even make a donation toward the restoration of one online. Also bear in mind that considering the number of classes of each, the NRM has a much higher proportion of diesel classes than steam.

I stand corrected, I have seen a couple of DMU cars in the diesel storage shed outside the NRM, I think along with a 31? but would be nice to see a full 3 car 101 in the main hall, would be a great sight alongside all the steamers.

There used to be a 47 in 'Fragonset' livery knocking about quite a lot, has that been purchased as part of the collection or has it moved on? Its been a while since I was last up there.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

That's the 4-TC set formerly owned by the Underground and used on the Steam on the Met events. Not sure who owns it now.

gregh

I had a good look at 37707 and 895 at Bescot this evening. They are not in good condition ;)

sprinterguy

Established Member
There used to be a 47 in 'Fragonset' livery knocking about quite a lot, has that been purchased as part of the collection or has it moved on? Its been a while since I was last up there.
That was 47715 "Poseidon", which is now operating on the Wenselydale Railway. The NRM had hold of it for a while after Fragonset collapsed, but they never owned it (AFAIK).

D6975

Established Member

I was there a couple of weeks ago, didn't see a 101, but there's a 108 in the little shed at the back (one car in blue, one in green), plus an 08 being worked on in there, and the workshop with the viewing gallery had several diesels receiving attention, with D200 apparently next in line.

theblackwatch

Established Member
I was there a couple of weeks ago, didn't see a 101, but there's a 108 in the little shed at the back (one car in blue, one in green), plus an 08 being worked on in there, and the workshop with the viewing gallery had several diesels receiving attention, with D200 apparently next in line.

The 101 in the National Collection isn't at the NRM - it is located on the ELR.

Status
Not open for further replies.