• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Getting around London

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi, this is my first post so hope its in the right section.
Im coming down to London this Saturday ( 9th Feb ), and was wondering which is the best and cheapest ticket to buy to get me around London. I would like to visit all the mainline stations, ( Liverpool St, Kings X, Paddington etc ). Also i would like to spend some time at Clapham Jct and Willesden jct.
Thanks in advance for any information

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
You want a One Day Travelcard, details at http://www.visitlondon.com/traveller-information/getting-around-london/oyster . You'll have to choose which zones you want as the prices are different:

Off-Peak One-day Travelcard – valid from 9.30am Monday to Friday and all day (12.01am to 4.30am the following day) at weekends and public holidays:

Zones 1 and 2 – adult £7.30
Zones 1–4 – adult £8
Zones 1–6 – adult £8.90
Zones 1–9 – adult £12.10

There is a zones map at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/oyster-rail-services-map.pdf

Be3G

Established Member
A zone 1–2 London travelcard would suffice for everything you need to do, at a cost of £7.30. Alternatively, if you have a railcard, you should buy a zone 1–6 travelcard for £5.90, as the railcard doesn't provide discounts on the travelcards with fewer zones.

Thanks for your response.
Sorry for asking but does that mean i can travel from Victoria to Clapham on Southern Trains and Clapham to Willesden jct on London Overground without buying another ticket.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
All mainline terminals are in Zone 1. Clapham Junction and Willesden Junction are both in Zone 2.

If you travel around a bit then a Day Travelcard could be good value. This costs £7.30 off-peak for Zones 1-2.

It would be cheaper to use Oyster PAYG as the daily cap is lower than the corresponding Day Travelcard, however we do not recommend this if you go around bashing for the day as there can be problems with unexpected OSIs and could cause more hassle than it's worth the small saving trying to sort them out afterwards.

Do you have a Railcard?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Then the savings offered by Oyster PAYG daily cap is small (around 30p) so if you intend to make at least 4 separate journeys on the day I would recommend the Day Travelcard.

Thanks for your response.
Sorry for asking but does that mean i can travel from Victoria to Clapham on Southern Trains and Clapham to Willesden jct on London Overground without buying another ticket.

You can travel on any National Rail, London Underground/Overground, DLR services within the zones you have purchased, plus any TfL London bus service anywhere.

Both examples in your question are covered by zones 1 and 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.