• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Airport before the central security area - "Skyhub"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
I first flew through Glasgow Airport in the 1990s, though I really don't remember much about it at all. I've been through the airport in May, and it got me wondering: how was the airport laid out before the construction of the upstairs central security area? I've read that there were three separate security areas for each pier, but where was the access to these security areas?

And what about the piers themselves? Were they separated for domestic and international flights?

I've been trying to make sense of how the airport was laid out, and I just cannot visualise at all how it would have worked before the construction of the Skyhub area.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bill57p9

The 2000’s layout of Glasgow Airport had security screening located on The first floor directly in line with the over bridge from Car Park 2. I don’t recall separate security screening areas for the 3 piers however there was certainly a one way boarding Pass check on entry to each pier.

Then as now the west pier is used for International flights with the central and East piers for domestic and common travel area (CTA) flights.

The separation is more in the arrivals direction: The west pier has the UK border and customs.
CTA arrivals are segregated for customs purposes. There are still 3 distinct baggage reclaim halls: domestic, CTA and international.

route101

Established Member
I remember you were able to walk up the stairs behind the check in even as a non passenger. Now there is international flights from the East pier. I do recall the entrance to the domestic pier being where WHS smith books is located now.

DelW

Established Member
I first flew through Glasgow Airport in the 1990s, though I really don't remember much about it at all. I've been through the airport in May, and it got me wondering: how was the airport laid out before the construction of the upstairs central security area? I've read that there were three separate security areas for each pier, but where was the access to these security areas?

And what about the piers themselves? Were they separated for domestic and international flights?

I've been trying to make sense of how the airport was laid out, and I just cannot visualise at all how it would have worked before the construction of the Skyhub area.
I used Glasgow Airport frequently between 2001 and 2005, always for domestic flights from/to either LHR, LGW or Southampton, almost always on BA. They always used the middle pier, usually the gates at the triangular area at the far end, though for a while LHR flights used a gate halfway down on the left (west) side. Security check was in an area at the start of the pier, immediately north of the main building. Incoming passengers skirted around it using a bypass corridor (I think on the north-east side). In normal operation only domestic flights used this pier so there were no passport check facilities.

I think that the whole of the terminal building was landside and only the three separate piers were airside. Access to the piers was from a first floor corridor running east-west along the north side of the terminal building.

(Edited to correct wrong orientations).

(Edit 2 to add:
I think that the security area was as outlined in red on the attached screenshot, with departing passenger route in yellow and arriving passenger route in blue. It may not be exactly right though, it's a while ago!)

(Edit 3 : I think I had the departing and arriving routes the wrong way round. Corrected version attached.)
20231011_203419.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.