• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow - Leeds via Appleby

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadCommuter

I intend to buy an anytime return for Fri 8th Feb, returning the next day, from Glasgow Central to Leeds via Appleby.

The 1040 from GLC gives an 8 min connection at Carlisle and is the default on NRE. I would like to have a bit more time at Carlisle to have a look for the ice breakers - if I caught an earlier train from GLC would it be valid or considered to be a break of journey?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

calc7

Established Member
Not a problem at all - Anytime Returns are valid at any time over a permitted route and you may break your journey as many times as you like within the validity of the ticket.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Anytime tickets always allow unlimited break of journey within the validity of the ticket.

Changing trains is not a Break of journey anyway.

You may find our Fares & Ticketing Guide useful, specifically the Ticket Conditions section, and the posts linked to above.

On your return journey, as that is a weekend, you may sit in 1st Class on a Virgin Trains service between Carlisle & Glasgow.

Virgin Trains

MadCommuter

Thanks for the replies and clarifications.

Yorkie, I would never have known about the free upgrade. I've never used 1st class on a public service before, so I shall make use of it. Thanks a lot.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yorkie, I would never have known about the free upgrade. I've never used 1st class on a public service before, so I shall make use of it. Thanks a lot.

Well, perhaps understandably, they don't go out of their way to advertise it ;)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks for the replies and clarifications.

No problem :)

There are (or were) a small number of Guards who do not know about it, so it may be useful to print the relevant part of this page http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/promotions/pr3744bcc35ce7410024862c7ece4649/details.html and approach the TM before boarding (platform staff may be able to advise on the likely location of the TM) or on departure, to ensure a hassle-free journey.

National Rail - Weekend First said:
Virgin Trains
Upgrades are priced at £15.00 for adults and £5 for children for a single journey, regardless of the length of journey.

On weekends and Bank Holidays, upgrades to First Class on Virgin Trains is free of charge if holding a Standard Class Anytime ticket by approaching the Train Manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.