• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Stn’s walking for interchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

N0G83

I’m planning on a 12:01 (from Euston) arr into Central and wishing to depart on 13:40 from Queen St to Inverness.
Is there sufficient walking time between both Stns provided no inbound delay from Euston?
Is there a good/quick walking route?

Thanks in advance:)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

E6007

I think 20 minutes is ample (but it is a while since I did it). You've got time probably to stop for a decent lunch as well.

CEN60

10mins is enough if you walk briskly - 15 if you stroll leisurely! It is all of about 570m!

Kingston Dan

Definitely - easily time for a quick one or two in the Horseshoe Bar. One of Glasgow's finest drinking establishments with reputedly the longest bar in Europe.

CEN60

Definitely - easily time for a quick one or two in the Horseshoe Bar. One of Glasgow's finest drinking establishments with reputedly the longest bar in Europe.
I'd arrange to walk past Shilling Brewing Co. (its on the way - and the beer is made on the premises)

Falcon1200

Established Member
Running; 7 minutes. Walking briskly; 10 minutes. Walking normally; Less than 15 minutes.

There is also an inter-station bus, free for rail ticket holders, plus the option of transferring by train via Central Low Level/Hyndland (island platform)/Queen St Low Level, although I'm not sure how that would be ticketed!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Running; 7 minutes. Walking briskly; 10 minutes. Walking normally; Less than 15 minutes.

There is also an inter-station bus, free for rail ticket holders, plus the option of transferring by train via Central Low Level/Hyndland (island platform)/Queen St Low Level, although I'm not sure how that would be ticketed!
I tried the bus link once.

Unless there's one immediately about to depart it's quicker to walk, really...

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I must be a very fast walker, I never manage to take even 5 mins to walk it - let alone 7 mins running!

Suffice to say, it's not far!

The bus is pretty much useless unless you have lots of heavy luggage or difficultly walking. It's not even every 10 mins now and it often gets stuck in traffic. Plus as its a one-way circular route, going from Central to Queen Street it stops at Buchanan Street Bus Station first, costing about 5 mins or more.

Coming back from Queen Street is quicker but still faster walking.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I must be a very fast walker, I never manage to take even 5 mins to walk it - let alone 7 mins running!
I'd say. Reckon it's just under half a mile between the two stations, and the barriers at Central aren't exactly at the very front of the station. So half a mile in 5 minutes is maybe doing 5-6 m.p.h.

Most folk walk at something like only 2-3 m.p.h.

nlogax

Established Member
Can do it in 7 to 8 minutes, definitely a brisk walk for me. Then again I'm usually doing the walk either very early hours or late at night and the streets are empty.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I'd say. Reckon it's just under half a mile between the two stations, and the barriers at Central aren't exactly at the very front of the station. So half a mile in 5 minutes is maybe doing 5-6 m.p.h.

Google reckons 550m (0.34mi).

Techniquest

Veteran Member

Really? I don't think I know anyone who goes that slow! For me, if I knew the route inside out in Glasgow, I could do that distance quite easily in 5 minutes. My average speed is around 4.3mph, and for me that's slow. A brisk walk for me is more like 4.8mph, really going for it I average out at 5.5mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.