• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gloucester to Paddington Super Off Peak Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Morning all,

Is a Super Off Peak Return from Gloucester to London Terminals (with 26-30 railcard) at £40.25 valid via Basingstoke/Waterloo? Thinking of doing Gloucester to Reading, Reading to Basingstoke, Basingstoke to Waterloo just for a change, then coming home out of Paddington as normal? I can see the ticket is only valid via Stroud, but wondered if there were any restrictions of using SWR at all?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Morning all,

Is a Super Off Peak Return from Gloucester to London Terminals (with 26-30 railcard) at £40.25 valid via Basingstoke/Waterloo? Thinking of doing Gloucester to Reading, Reading to Basingstoke, Basingstoke to Waterloo just for a change, then coming home out of Paddington as normal? I can see the ticket is only valid via Stroud, but wondered if there were any restrictions of using SWR at all?

Thanks in advance!
No, it's not valid via Basingstoke. You can use it into Waterloo, but only if you go Reading-Waterloo direct (i.e. via Bracknell).

You'd need a ticket to somewhere south of the Thames for it to be valid that way. For example, Woking, Surbiton or Wimbledon. If you're doing the trip out one way and returning another, you could change portions at one of those stations (you'd arguably have to call there though).

If so, you could get a cheaper 'not via London' fare for your outward portion and then obtain a change of excess for the return portion for via Stroud/London. Which would overall cost a very similar amount to buying a ticket to London.

If you're doing a day trip, it's possible there may be a cheaper combination of tickets available by splitting en-route, in particular because you could then take advantage of a Day Travelcard (which would be valid via Basingstoke).

Sporty60

No, it's not valid via Basingstoke. You can use it into Waterloo, but only if you go Reading-Waterloo direct (i.e. via Bracknell).

You'd need a ticket to somewhere south of the Thames for it to be valid that way. For example, Woking, Surbiton or Wimbledon. If you're doing the trip out one way and returning another, you could change portions at one of those stations (you'd arguably have to call there though).

If so, you could get a cheaper 'not via London' fare for your outward portion and then obtain a change of excess for the return portion for via Stroud/London. Which would overall cost a very similar amount to buying a ticket to London.

If you're doing a day trip, it's possible there may be a cheaper combination of tickets available by splitting en-route, in particular because you could then take advantage of a Day Travelcard (which would be valid via Basingstoke).
I wish there was a " like" button on here as that is a very helpful reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.