• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GN train hits buffers at Kings Cross

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluenoxid

Established Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-34283057

Five people were hurt when a train hit the buffers as it came into London's King's Cross.

The accident on platform 11 involved the 10:55 BST Govia Thameslink service from Cambridge.

Passenger Matthew Blakemore was travelling in the front carriage and said there was a "huge bang" and "everyone was thrown around".

Ambulance crews treated five people for minor injuries and two people were taken to hospital as a precaution.

Network Rail said in a statement the train was involved in a "low-speed collision with the buffer stops" at about 12:18.

I'm posting from my phone, so would appreciate normalisation by the moderators as per the rules.

A 317 has hit the buffer stops on P11 at Kings Cross. They're still at Kings Cross now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
It appears today that the 10:55 Cambridge to Kings Cross GN service hit the buffer stops upon arrival at Kings Cross today with 5 people receiving injuries.

Statement from GN as follows:

At 12.18 today, the 10.55 Cambridge to London King’s Cross Great Northern service hit the buffer stops as it pulled into platform 11 at King’s Cross.

Five people required attention on the scene by paramedics for minor injuries. Two were taken to hospital as a precaution. The Rail Accident Investigation Branch has been notified.

Great Northern’s Passenger Service Director Keith Jipps said:

“We worked with paramedics to help those who were injured and apologise to those affected by the incident. We will cooperate fully with any investigation.”

Two other Great Northern rail services were cancelled as a result and two more will run with fewer carriages than normal this evening.

http://www.thameslinkrailway.com/about-us/news/statement-on-incident-at-kings-cross/

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
London Ambulance Service report the following:
Chris Hawkswell London Ambulance Service @LAS_TacAdvisor said:
Two ambulance crews, advanced paramedic and officer at #KingsCross station after a train had a low speed collision with the platform buffers
Chris Hawkswell London Ambulance Service @LAS_TacAdvisor said:
#KingsCross: A small number of patients with minor injuries are being assessed by our ambulance crews
Sourced from Twitter.

Zoidberg

Established Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-34283057

I'm posting from my phone, so would appreciate normalisation by the moderators as per the rules.

A 317 has hit the buffer stops on P11 at Kings Cross. They're still at Kings Cross now.

An extract from the linked article

Five people were hurt when a train hit the buffers as it came into London's King's Cross.

The accident on platform 11 involved the 10:55 BST Govia Thameslink service from Cambridge.

Passenger Matthew Blakemore was travelling in the front carriage and said there was a "huge bang" and "everyone was thrown around".

Ambulance crews treated five people for minor injuries and two people were taken to hospital as a precaution.

Network Rail said in a statement the train was involved in a "low-speed collision with the buffer stops" at about 12:18.

A-driver

Established Member
Slightly more minor incident than the press are saying-all the rubbish of people screaming believing it to be a terrorist attack (evening standard) seems quite an exaggeration.

I'm not going to say too much at this stage as it's obviously being investigated but it was a new trainee under instruction and it was a very unfortunate set of events happening very, very quickly meaning the instructor had absolutely no time to react. Was a low speed collision.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Do the rails by the buffer stops at any terminal have any kind of "rumble strip" installed on the rails?

najaB

Veteran Member
Do the rails by the buffer stops at any terminal have any kind of "rumble strip" installed on the rails?
I believe they often have a rougher surface but that's mainly to ensure good contact between wheel and rail for detection purposes.

A-driver

Established Member

No. And that wasn't the issue here. It wasn't a case of 'forgetting' about the buffers.

All platforms at terminus stations are protected by tpws grids. Hit these grids (about 3 cars from the stops at kings x p11) at more than about 10mph and it triggers the e brake. But the train was well under when passing the grids here.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I believe they often have a rougher surface but that's mainly to ensure good contact between wheel and rail for detection purposes.

That's correct. Some platforms in kings x main shed have this. But they aren't to alert the driver of the proximity of the buffers. The driver should know they were approaching the buffers (and there is nothing to suggest this driver didn't today).

HH

Established Member
Good to see old Jippsy on the case. The three wise monkeys rolled into one.

Zoidberg

Established Member
Good to see old Jippsy on the case. The three wise monkeys rolled into one.

At least this one of the uninitiated would appreciate the meaning of the above post being clarified. I.e. who, or what, is Jippsy?

David

Established Member
Slightly more minor incident than the press are saying-all the rubbish of people screaming believing it to be a terrorist attack (evening standard) seems quite an exaggeration.

BBC as well :roll:

Thankfully, no one is seriously injured, and hopefully, it's not the end of somebodies career before it's really started.

HLE

Established Member
BBC as well :roll:

Thankfully, no one is seriously injured, and hopefully, it's not the end of somebodies career before it's really started.

I doubt it would be. He was under instruction.

Why is it when an incident occurs, there's always some who comment 'hope the driver isn't sacked' etc., it reads to me like they hope he/she is!

Retorus

Why is it when an incident occurs, there's always some who comment 'hope the driver isn't sacked' etc., it reads to me like they hope he/she is!

I'm not sure how you'd come to that conclusion.

HLE

Established Member
I'm not sure how you'd come to that conclusion.

Which conclusion ?

Ok the post I quoted wasn't what got me, but what does annoy me pretty much every time that an incident is posted on the internet that appears to be due to driver error, there's usually a post or two about the potential 'outcome' for the driver.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
When will the RAIB report on it likely be published (might be worth locking this thread until then)?

Scott M

Don't really understand your logic there.

ComUtoR

Established Member

Because it goes round in circles with mud slinging and accusations. Not enough evidence and no-one knows the truth, OMG media spin etc etc.

Most of these threads about incidents end up getting locked.

Scott M

Because it goes round in circles with mud slinging and accusations. Not enough evidence and no-one knows the truth, OMG media spin etc etc.

Most of these threads about incidents end up getting locked.

But you could argue forums wouldn't exist if all the facts were known, as there'd be nothing to discuss. :p

ComUtoR

Established Member
But you could argue forums wouldn't exist if all the facts were known, as there'd be nothing to discuss. :p

Yep. I also support good discussion and strong opinion in both directions. However; invariably they still get locked.

- Just the Facts Ma'am
-Joe Friday

Antman

Established Member
Which conclusion ?

Ok the post I quoted wasn't what got me, but what does annoy me pretty much every time that an incident is posted on the internet that appears to be due to driver error, there's usually a post or two about the potential 'outcome' for the driver.

I really cannot see why that should annoy you?

talltim

Established Member
Yep. I also support good discussion and strong opinion in both directions. However; invariably they still get locked.

- Just the Facts Ma'am
-Joe Friday
So let people have their fun, then lock it...<D

ComUtoR

Established Member
Let the games begin...

How fast was he going ? It also goes to show that the TPWS grids are often pointless. Just because you got under the magic 10mph doesn't mean you can't have a collision. Would ATO solve the problem ?

Is the DI responsible ? Technically they are in charge of the train and should have instructed the trainee better. Full brake applications tend to stop the unit very fast. How close should a unit get before the DI hits the plunger ?

5 people got hurt ? Seriously ? Are they planning on making a claim ? You can couple a unit with passengers on and they still don't get "injured" And this required 2 ambulances ! I certainly find them getting "hurt" rather suspicious but maybe I'm being cynical.

Full disclosure :
This isn't a rare occurrence and relatively common. Whilst I don't have specific facts I can categorically state that we have had our fair share of buffer collisions and even one train mounting the platform.

Discuss...

David

Established Member

No malice intended on my part. I'll re-phrase .... :roll:

I sincerely hope this doesn't put the trainee off from continuing with his/her chosen career.

Status
Not open for further replies.