• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Good News on the U.K. Rail Network in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

warwickshire

On Moderation
After many years of being proposed a new station is being built on the Basingstoke to Reading line called Reading Green park. The foundations and concrete bases are just being created and the station base for the station on the bottom foundations off which it is created upon is brand new

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

3973EXL

Established Member
After many years of being proposed a new station is being built on the Basingstoke to Reading line called Reading Green park. The foundations and concrete bases are just being created and the station base for the station on the bottom foundations off which it is created upon is brand new
Green Park 13/10

Attachments

• DSC01920.JPG
    DSC01920.JPG
    247.7 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC01921.JPG
    DSC01921.JPG
    233.6 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC01922.JPG
    DSC01922.JPG
    243.7 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC01923.JPG
    DSC01923.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 86

cle

Established Member
Do those concrete blocks represent the full platform length? What is it intended to be?

Jamesrob637

Established Member

That was in proposal two years ago when I had a short meeting at the nearby Millennium Madjeski Hotel!

High Dyke

Established Member
The idea for using polystyrene blocks to reduce costs seems to have gone by the wayside for projects these days.

Meanwhile, something else to go on. Sibsey signal box has a brand new 'indoor' toilet. Not much in the grand scheme of things, but a veritable improvement for the staff there.

GLC

I can't tell if you're joking or if you meant breeze blocks...
Polystyrene was used to fill in the excavated longer platforms made at Glasgow Queen Street in 2016, until the new platforms could actually be built in 2019

Jozhua

Established Member
Seeing mentions of shovels in for HS2! Love that.

Also tried out the new Metrolink Trafford Park line the other day.

A trip post lockdown to Newcastle was entirely on a brand new TPE 802. Super fast north of York, really enjoyable!

It's been entirely double 185 sets on TPE services between Sheffield and Manchester as well, so that's fantastic.

Not related to rail, but I think it will have a positive impact on it - cycling. It's definitely fallen from lockdown heights, but I think it has given authorities more of a push to roll out some decent cycling infrastructure. It's a fantastic last mile (or five) solution, and parking a bike at a station takes much less space! Hopefully the industry increases provision to match (not just on trains, but parking in stations). Still a lot of work to be done to make it safe and viable enough for many, but the moderate increase for now will hopefully keep cycling trending upwards.

Single class 153s are now a thing of the past in the East Midlands. They have one remaining Lincoln Joint line diagram as a pair between Peterborough and Doncaster, another pair between Barton and Cleethorpes and strengthen Worksop/Skegness/Liverpool services as required with limited running to Derby/Matlock to get them to Etches Park for maintenance. With class 170 entering service, hopefully, sometime between now and December they should be gone altogether before too long. I'll miss them but they're well past their sell by date.
Oh thank the lord. The amount of single 153's I travelled on living down there was unbelievable. I think 170's will be a definite upgrade.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Seeing mentions of shovels in for HS2! Love that.

Also tried out the new Metrolink Trafford Park line the other day.

A trip post lockdown to Newcastle was entirely on a brand new TPE 802. Super fast north of York, really enjoyable!

It's been entirely double 185 sets on TPE services between Sheffield and Manchester as well, so that's fantastic.

Not related to rail, but I think it will have a positive impact on it - cycling. It's definitely fallen from lockdown heights, but I think it has given authorities more of a push to roll out some decent cycling infrastructure. It's a fantastic last mile (or five) solution, and parking a bike at a station takes much less space! Hopefully the industry increases provision to match (not just on trains, but parking in stations). Still a lot of work to be done to make it safe and viable enough for many, but the moderate increase for now will hopefully keep cycling trending upwards.

Oh thank the lord. The amount of single 153's I travelled on living down there was unbelievable. I think 170's will be a definite upgrade.

Doubles on South TPE would have become the norm without COVID - Novas were coming in thick and fast to cascade them prior to March. 802s were doing most Newcastles even back in January.

Not saying you're wrong of course, au contraire. Not done the Trafford Park line yet.

YorksLad12

Established Member
No, polystyrene blocks. I'm sure the extension to platform 1 at Peterborough utilises this concept.

Edit:
Link from Network Rail. https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/polystyrene-platform-steals-the-show-at-peterborough
Polystyrene was used to fill in the excavated longer platforms made at Glasgow Queen Street in 2016, until the new platforms could actually be built in 2019

Well... every day's a school day. The only thing I (thought I) knew about polystyrene is that it's easy to set fire to and gives off black smoke. Hence my question. :)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The idea for using polystyrene blocks to reduce costs seems to have gone by the wayside for projects these days.
Must depend on ground conditions, Reading Green Park is fully piled, all those concrete sections are the “pile caps” which group the sets of piles together at ground level.

I expect you’ll still see polystyrene blocks used if the build includes back filling behind conventional walling.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Double 185s on near enough all Hull-Manchester services has been lovely to see and ride on - quite enjoyed getting on a service home at Leeds at around 8:30 in the evening and not having to head to the dance hall to get a seat. Good on them. Also, and this is purely from my enthusiasts' perspective, it makes it easier for me to knock them off. :lol:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
The Wilko's where Blackpool North tram stop will go finally started being demolished in September.

Demolition was already in progress four weeks ago when I visited.

Double 185s on near enough all Hull-Manchester services has been lovely to see and ride on - quite enjoyed getting on a service home at Leeds at around 8:30 in the evening and not having to head to the dance hall to get a seat. Good on them. Also, and this is purely from my enthusiasts' perspective, it makes it easier for me to knock them off. :lol:

Should still all be booked 6-car after December.

Class 170101

Established Member

Should still all be booked 6-car after December.

Does this mean TPE are keeping all the Class 185s rather than losing some elsewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.