• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Good simulator games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TW1306

Having recently caught the railway bug again I'd love to try a simulator, unfortunately I've heard poor things about Dovetail's 'Train Simulator' series - not least the price and - and so was wondering if there are other programs people would recommend?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

365 Networker

Open BVE, whilst quite old is free and there are a number of quality routes available such as:-

North London Line:-
Route - http://bvewesternregion.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/North-London-Line-V1_5.zip
Train - http://bvewesternregion.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Class-313-V1_5.zip

Jubilee Line:-
Route - http://bvewesternregion.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Jubilee-Line-Phase-3.zip
Train - http://bvewesternregion.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/LT1996_Openbve_Phase3.zip

Cross City South:-
Route - https://railsimroutes.net/bve_trainsim/downloads/x-city_south_v1-31-11.7z
Train - https://railsimroutes.net/trains/downloads/cl323_unrefurb_openbve.zip
Class 323 3D Cab - https://railsimroutes.net/trains/downloads/323_unrefurb_3dcab_plugin.7z

OpenBVE software:-

To install the addons, you have to place the Route and Train files into the legacy content folder - the file path should be something like this:- Program Files (x86)\openBVE\UserData\LegacyContent

Here are a few videos showing the different routes:-

I hope this is helpful.

_toommm_

Established Member
Having recently caught the railway bug again I'd love to try a simulator, unfortunately I've heard poor things about Dovetail's 'Train Simulator' series - not least the price and - and so was wondering if there are other programs people would recommend?

Train Sim can be expensive if your interest of the railway is vast. I can't sugar coat that I've spent several hundreds of pounds on TS Classic. But if you plan your purchases around the sales, it can be okay cost-wise, especially if your interest is more limited e.g. just in the South-East. Once you've bought the routes you require (which will often come with the rolling stock if bought from Steam), make sure to buy the relevant Armstrong Powerhouse Enhancement Pack/Sound Pack, or buy their packs for a train outright.

TW1306

Train Sim can be expensive if your interest of the railway is vast. I can't sugar coat that I've spent several hundreds of pounds on TS Classic. But if you plan your purchases around the sales, it can be okay cost-wise, especially if your interest is more limited e.g. just in the South-East. Once you've bought the routes you require (which will often come with the rolling stock if bought from Steam), make sure to buy the relevant Armstrong Powerhouse Enhancement Pack/Sound Pack, or buy their packs for a train outright.
Well, the cost isn't the only the problem; I've heard the game runs poorly at times (and is actually the same base game as from 2009, just retitled each year...), according to a lot of reviews for both TS2022 and Train Sim World 2.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Well, the cost isn't the only the problem; I've heard the game runs poorly at times (and is actually the same base game as from 2009, just retitled each year...), according to a lot of reviews for both TS2022 and Train Sim World 2.
You need a decent set-up to run Classic TS well. The game engine is poorly optimised and some routes are prone to Temp Dump errors.

It is better since the move to a 64-bit version, but still not perfect.

_toommm_

Established Member

Because the base engine is old, you’ll need a processor that’s good at single thread workloads. For reference, I have a Ryzen 5 3600, GTX 1080Ti, a 1TB NVMe SSD; and get around 40fps at 1440p on very high presets on most routes. The only route I can’t really run is WCML South.

TW1306

Unfortunately I'm not knowledgeable about computer specs; I only have a 4-year-old laptop to run things so I don't exactly have hardware optimal for games :s

Unfortunately I'm not knowledgeable about computer specs; I only have a 4-year-old laptop to run things so I don't exactly have hardware optimal for games :s
I'm sure if you post the specs then people on here will have helpful advice regarding how it would perform with any given game. :)
Train Sim Classic will likely run well on a poor-spec laptop as long as you stick to older routes (in terms of release date), as these tend to have more two-dimensional assets and less general detail than the newer routes (obviously at the expense of looking good). These are also a lot of graphic settings within Train Sim Classic that should allow you to optimise the performance of the game to your liking.

Pinza-C55

I use Trainz 2019 (the new version is Trainz 2022) and it has the advantage that most of the assets are free. You really need to buy a First Class Ticket to download assets at a higher speed but that's optional.

I built my 20 mile Malton & Driffield route in Trainz 2019 and everything you see here is freeware. BTW click the Settings cogwheel to view in 4K.

TheEdge

Established Member
I use Trainz 2019 (the new version is Trainz 2022) and it has the advantage that most of the assets are free. You really need to buy a First Class Ticket to download assets at a higher speed but that's optional.

Trainz is an odd one. I used to think it was the better sim with a far better community. But when Auran went bust it just sort of stagnated and Kuju/Train Sim left it in the dust. And it never seemed to regain its place.

321over360

TSW 1 to 3 thats available on games consoles are pretty good ones, the bonus of the PC Train Simulator is you can play around with the routes more and make trains run about to a timetable you create including whatever rolling stock you may have within your library provided the stock will ultimately work on the route, as I've done the wherry lines and stacked a DMU as leading train, with EMUs behind it and they will move as it just does. The PC one is my preferred, the only downside is it does have a habit of wanting to crash at times but the customisation is the fun part, like using parts from different EMUs on the same train

nlogax

Established Member
Trainz is an odd one. I used to think it was the better sim with a far better community. But when Auran went bust it just sort of stagnated and Kuju/Train Sim left it in the dust. And it never seemed to regain its place.

I still have a soft spot for Trainz. Been using it since the beginning in the early 2000s and if you just see it as virtual model railway then retains its charm. It's never felt like a sim in the truest sense even though graphically it's far superior to BVE.

youngiecj

Sorry to slightly hijack the thread, but does anyone have any good suggestions for Apple MacBook? For example I never got Simsig to work much to my frustration.

_toommm_

Established Member
Sorry to slightly hijack the thread, but does anyone have any good suggestions for Apple MacBook? For example I never got Simsig to work much to my frustration.

Simsig won't work unless you use Bootcamp to install Windows, but that isn't an option of the M1 or M2 Macbooks. You could use a VM such as Bluestacks though on the Macbooks with either of those processors. It'll be the same situation with TS Classic and TS World as all the aforementioned ones run as a .exe which isn't a file format that MacOS can understand.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Simsig won't work unless you use Bootcamp to install Windows, but that isn't an option of the M1 or M2 Macbooks. You could use a VM such as Bluestacks though on the Macbooks with either of those processors. It'll be the same situation with TS Classic and TS World as all the aforementioned ones run as a .exe which isn't a file format that MacOS can understand.
Is it not possible to run something like VirtualBox and have a virtual Windows installation on which to run it?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Bluestacks is the same thing IIRC, but I’ve seen it recommended quite a lot.
I was under the impression that Bluestacks was simply a platform that allowed Android games to be run on a Windows machine. It may well have changed since I last used it; I found it to be far too much of a resource hog on my somewhat elderly PC, so I binned it!

_toommm_

Established Member
I was under the impression that Bluestacks was simply a platform that allowed Android games to be run on a Windows machine. It may well have changed since I last used it; I found it to be far too much of a resource hog on my somewhat elderly PC, so I binned it!

I might be (definitely am) mistaken as this was from memory, so my apologies!

WizCastro197

Established Member
It completely depends on what you are going to use it for? I have the 2020 MacBook Pro (Sorry I wouldn't normally disclose this info as I know many people aren't in a fortunate situation, in terms of technology as me, but for the sake of this question I had to I guess) it works well but to be completely honest you are paying 300+ pounds more for a Touch Bar and a less sloped design. Games won't work too well as the fan can go crazy but I am sure on slightly newer MBKs it has been remedied slightly...

Sacro

SimSig should work just fine under Crossover, make sure you've got the HTML renderer or whatever it's called.

wilbers

Base game +5 DLC £0.88, or base game +18 DLC £10.60, or a middle tier at variable price. Available for 3 weeks.

william.martin

On Moderation
I would recommend TSW3 however, wait for the price to go down as TSW2 was £40.00 when I bought it (2 months after TSW2 released) however, in July it was only about £20.00.
I appreciate that it is made by dovetail which you said you would not like, however this is the "train sim world series" not the "train sim series."
Before you would by I would recommend watching some reviews in YouTube.

prod_pep

Established Member
For what it's worth, I wouldn't particularly recommend the Train Sim World series. If you like trains, there is fun to be had with it, but it manages to be an insipid sim lacking in any atmosphere and replete with inaccuracies. The DLC routes are also very expensive for what they are. I shan't be bothering with TSW3 anytime soon short of significant discounts, although the Cross-City Line and 323 announcement is an intriguing one.

WizCastro197

Established Member
For what it's worth, I wouldn't particularly recommend the Train Sim World series. If you like trains, there is fun to be had with it, but it manages to be an insipid sim lacking in any atmosphere and replete with inaccuracies. The DLC routes are also very expensive for what they are. I shan't be bothering with TSW3 anytime soon short of significant discounts, although the Cross-City Line and 323 announcement is an intriguing one.
Cross city line is very overpriced. Birmingham New street actually looks quite bad as well

Iskra

Established Member
I'm at a similar place to be honest. I gave up Train Sim Classic which (despite its imperfections) I had enjoyed for many years, to move to TSW. I also can't really recommend the TSW series for the reasons you mentioned, and it just doesn't really feel 'right' to me either, too game-y perhaps and as you say lacking atmosphere. The obsession with EMU routes also doesn't sit well with me and many of the other routes lack appropriate rolling stock to be realistic. It was a lot of 3rd-party developer's (such as Armstrong Powerhouse) hard work that made TS Classic a game worth playing, but with TSW; Dovetail have frozen the developers out so it will never really improve enough to be worth playing. I also liked editing, creating and playing my own scenarios too, which you also can't really do with TSW.

WizCastro197

Established Member
I'm at a similar place to be honest. I gave up Train Sim Classic which (despite its imperfections) I had enjoyed for many years, to move to TSW. I also can't really recommend the TSW series for the reasons you mentioned, and it just doesn't really feel 'right' to me either, too game-y perhaps and as you say lacking atmosphere. The obsession with EMU routes also doesn't sit well with me and many of the other routes lack appropriate rolling stock to be realistic. It was a lot of 3rd-party developer's (such as Armstrong Powerhouse) hard work that made TS Classic a game worth playing, but with TSW; Dovetail have frozen the developers out so it will never really improve enough to be worth playing. I also liked editing, creating and playing my own scenarios too, which you also can't really do with TSW.
I agree, it has a very ‘fixed’ feeling ie. not much creative freedom is given to player.
Again with the rolling stick issues, large stations eg. Glasgow Central look so abandoned with only the 2 314s sitting in the platforms. St Pancras in addition. Only the BML was done well as it tied onto routes already done and which traction was available for example the 465/375s at Victoria made the station look quite full which added to the atmosphere but again something always lets it down, that time I felt there wasn’t enough passengers for Britain’s 2nd busiest station

Status
Not open for further replies.