• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Google pixel 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Hello everyone. Has anyone got one of these and if so how do you find it, especially the performance and in particular the fingerprint sensor which is located under the screen on this device. As my username would suggest I have various visual challenges making this type of fingerprint sensor a new and so far Uncharted world for me so just thought I'd ask what everyone else thought and also how they find the device in general. Does it work well and does the fingerprint scanner perform as intended? Lot of very mixed reviews out

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bearhugger

I use the Google Pixel 4 (5G) phone and that has the fingerprint sensor on the back of the phone. The two things I have noticed about the sensor are that it can be a bit temperamental unlocking after I have just washed up, and also the phone also asks me to enter the pin code every so often. I think this is some sort of a security measure.

najaB

Veteran Member
…and also the phone also asks me to enter the pin code every so often. I think this is some sort of a security measure.
Not so much security as safety. By forcing you to enter the PIN/pattern/password at least once every three days it makes it unlikely that you'll forget it. So, if something happens that prevents you using the fingerprint scanner (e.g. you get a cut and have to put a plaster on it) you won't be locked out of your phone. It's common across most phones, not just the Pixel line.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I imagine you were aware of this already, but I'll just say for clarity: you can't just put your finger anywhere on the screen to unlock the phone, the fingerprint reader is only located under a small section of the screen. One thing to consider is that unlike a rear-mounted fingerprint reader, there is no tactile difference between it and the rest of the surface. You should consider whether this will make it more difficult for you to use the device.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I imagine you were aware of this already, but I'll just say for clarity: you can't just put your finger anywhere on the screen to unlock the phone, the fingerprint reader is only located under a small section of the screen. One thing to consider is that unlike a rear-mounted fingerprint reader, there is no tactile difference between it and the rest of the surface. You should consider whether this will make it more difficult for you to use the device.
Yes i was thinking that. I have a OnePlus 8 Pro with an under the screen reader and it's very much a case of the area for the fingerprint reader is no large than a reader on the back but there's no tactile difference so you do have to look to make sure you're getting it right (though I can pretty much do it without looking after having the phone for 18 months to learn the right position in my hand).

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Yes I was aware that there was a specific target area. I was just wondering if in practice use it's proved a hindrance or help to other users and also for those who might have the pixel 6 if it's reliable or not.

I will be trading up from a pixel 3 which I love but is suffering battery life issues and replacement batteries are a challenge as they live under the screen and none of the outlets that do pixel repairs locally to me can get the screens for love no money

My gut reaction was to buy a pixel 5 on eBay or similar but the six is tempting as it's a nice device and uses Google's own chipset which I'm quite keen to try out

pdq

I can't speak for the Pixel, but my Samsung A53 and previous A50 have the fingerprint sensor on the screen and it generally works fine. I do find I usually need to lick my thumb/fingers first to make it work first time. Maybe I just have dry fingertips!

Last edited:

bearhugger

Not so much security as safety. By forcing you to enter the PIN/pattern/password at least once every three days it makes it unlikely that you'll forget it. So, if something happens that prevents you using the fingerprint scanner (e.g. you get a cut and have to put a plaster on it) you won't be locked out of your phone. It's common across most phones, not just the Pixel line.
Ah, ok thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.