• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Google StreetView trainspotting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
DaveNewcastle said:
Some unit trundling over the Forth bridge :
It's a Turbo :D

Also, there's one of the police cars from the airport behind the google car. Seems a bit far from the airport
A Turbo? - they're all much the same to me if they've got noisy diesels under the floor. Units. Sorry.
Yes, I noticed the police car and followed it (if you know what I mean by "followed" on Street-View) along the High St and up the hill till it dissappeared after the supermarket. I did wonder if it was stalking the car!

I notice that you havn't been so quick in identifying the culprit in my Inverness Airport posting a little further up! You even get a second glimpse if you click once to the right, then pan hard left (train was moving in opposite direction to car). Well, a hint of a roof, at least. I thought I deserved some sort of award for finding that one!

Established Member
A Turbo? - they're all much the same to me if they've got noisy diesels under the floor. Units. Sorry.

A 170.

I notice that you havn't been so quick in identifying the culprit in my Inverness Airport posting a little further up! You even get a second glimpse if you click once to the right, then pan hard left (train was moving in opposite direction to car). Well, a hint of a roof, at least. I thought I deserved some sort of award for finding that one!

I haven't read most of the thread only the last few pages, but the one in the previous one is a 158.

In Edinburgh itself, on George IV Bridge, there's another google car following behind the one taking the photos;
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...d=CuZYr1KA-mQKbdSvSYqAaQ&cbp=12,342.42,,1,5.1

Dai.

Established Member
no, when i compose the message and i put the link in it doesnt go blue

If it doesn't go blue when you post it surround it with the tags [PHP][url][/PHP]

Ie -
PHP:
[url="link here"] link name/url [/url]

[url="railforums.co.uk"]RAIL FANS![/url]

[url="railforums.co.uk"]railforums.co.uk[/url]

The_Stig

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Now things such as the Pendo are common- it's due to how the photompa is constructed. Most of the high res imagery is from aircraft (not sattelites). It consist of many thousands of photos, which are goetagged. They use computers to stich and blend thme together. Obviously, with moving objects such as trains, this can result in things being cut off or misaligned. Doesn't even always get permanent features right- as seen just south of Cambridge, where a Networker and the northbound line turn into a hedge, whilst the southbound and northbound lines get confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.