• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grain railway wagons for use to export from Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

1. With shipping blocked from using the Black Sea ports, is the railway to the Baltic the only other route to export grain, although it means a change of gauge somewhere?
2. Are grain wagons a special design, or can general purpose ones be used? Presumably they need a roof to keep the rain off, and a means of loading/unloading.
3. Do many goods wagons exist that can exchange bogies, or have some other means of changing gauge, or would it mean transshipment?

(Thanks in advance)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
2 I think that grain is normally carried in hopper type wagons with opening tops that are dedicated to grain, or at least foodstuffs, traffic. How many of this type have interchangeable axles I do not know. Using wagons of the same type that are not dedicated to such flows would probably require special cleaning.

gysev

In general, freight has to be transloaded at the border. Starting this week, trains transporting Ukranian grain will start to run between the Ukrain/Slovak border and the ports of Gent en Rotterdam.

Gloster

Established Member
Article on today’s Grauniad website: How do you get 20m tonnes of grain out of Ukraine? (Sorry, I can’t do a link.)

Elwyn

I have just returned from Constanta in Romania and a lot of Ukrainian grain is now being shipped out out from there. It is brought by road from the Ukraine and then either loaded into ships or into trains for onward transport. According to our guide, the number of containers going through Constanta at present has increased from 200 a day to 8000, with ships clearly anchored all round the bay waiting for berths. A mothballed railway freight yard has been re-opened in Constanta with a load of freight trains taking some of the grain away. (The port doesn’t have the capacity to ship it all out by sea).

Killingworth

Established Member
There are plenty of examples of grain dust explosions at storage/handling/processing facilties. I can't find any examples where grain in transit by rail/road/sea has exploded.

1969 was a long time ago but I spent a day going round the iron ore and grain loading facilties at Duluth. We were made very aware of the dangers of dust explosions when loading cargoes. The fact that there may not have been any/many recorded is probably due to all the precautions taken. Wagons and ships are designed to prevent it.

Ediswan

Established Member
1969 was a long time ago but I spent a day going round the iron ore and grain loading facilties at Duluth. We were made very aware of the dangers of dust explosions when loading cargoes. The fact that there may not have been any/many recorded is probably due to all the precautions taken. Wagons and ships are designed to prevent it.
Agreed that handling (loading) is a known risk. You need an accumulation of dust for a dust explosion. Backing up a bit, there is no realistic possibililty of an en-route rail car full of grain exploding.

Killingworth

Established Member
Agreed that handling (loading) is a known risk. You need an accumulation of dust for a dust explosion. Backing up a bit, there is no realistic possibililty of an en-route rail car full of grain exploding.
Should have phrased it better. By having to use different transport methods more transfers between truck/silo/truck/wagon/ship are likely to take place, sometimes using equipment and personnel unused to dealing with such loads. I'd agree it's very unlikely there'd be any circumstances in which a properly loaded rail car should explode.

Shifting the quantities stored in the massive grain silos requires a lot of capacity. These at Duluth.

img261.jpgimg263.jpg

ac6000cw

Established Member

Killingworth

Established Member
This is not what I was saying. My point was that for over a century grain has been harvested, stored and transported in large quantities in well managed and organised operations globally, but mostly by water whenever possible. However, if we subject that process to war conditions and start using adapted and possibly damaged equipment with less well trained operators to move it all risks are increased. We've already established that there aren't enough tracks or wagons to remove all the grain that would ordinarily go out in large ship loads. Loading, transporting and unloading large quantities of grain in railway wagons or trucks possibly not designed for that type of load is just part of the problem being faced. Those big silos hold a lot of grain. Taking it in, moving it within the silos and sending it out are potential weak points as far as explosions are concerned, see the DeBruce Grain Elevator Explosion of 1998; https://www.osha.gov/grain-handling/geeit

Graham H

This is not what I was saying. My point was that for over a century grain has been harvested, stored and transported in large quantities in well managed and organised operations globally, but mostly by water whenever possible. However, if we subject that process to war conditions and start using adapted and possibly damaged equipment with less well trained operators to move it all risks are increased. We've already established that there aren't enough tracks or wagons to remove all the grain that would ordinarily go out in large ship loads. Loading, transporting and unloading large quantities of grain in railway wagons or trucks possibly not designed for that type of load is just part of the problem being faced. Those big silos hold a lot of grain. Taking it in, moving it within the silos and sending it out are potential weak points as far as explosions are concerned, see the DeBruce Grain Elevator Explosion of 1998; https://www.osha.gov/grain-handling/geeit
yes the fact that there is even a dedicated Grain Elevator Explosion Investigation Team (GEEIT) does indicate a very real threat to moving this otherwise harmless looking commodity

Status
Not open for further replies.