• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Britain VI 20/4/2024

peteb

Just seen a video of this passing Bucknell on the Heart of Wales line. Double headed Black 5's no diesel on rear!!! GREAT!!!

Any ideas why they dropped the diesel? Isn't it required to power the consist a/c and electric doors? If not then why do all those other excursions using mk2 aircons drag one along? I'd have thought a back up would have been essential for the HOW line but it appears not.........

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

railfan99

Established Member
Just seen a video of this passing Bucknell on the Heart of Wales line. Double headed Black 5's no diesel on rear!!! GREAT!!!

There are many videos of this tour on YouTube but I couldn't quickly find one on the line to which you refer. Could you kindly provide a link?

These are great locos, my favourite in England.

Mollman

Established Member

Any ideas why they dropped the diesel? Isn't it required to power the consist a/c and electric doors? If not then why do all those other excursions using mk2 aircons drag one along? I'd have thought a back up would have been essential for the HOW line but it appears not.........
Interesting as on Friday when it past through Preston hauled by Tangmere there was a diesel on the rear.

MiNi

There are many videos of this tour on YouTube but I couldn't quickly find one on the line to which you refer. Could you kindly provide a link?

These are great locos, my favourite in England.
you tube video taken at craven arms yesterday. Double headed and no diesel on rear.

47802 was detached from the train outside of Craven arms. It then followed the train in case of failures et c and was 're attached later in the day.

Last edited:

peteb

you tube video taken at craven arms yesterday. Double headed and no diesel on rear.

47802 was detached from the train outside of Craven arms. It then followed the train in case of failures et c and was 're attached later in the day.
Seems a great idea, I wish they'd take that approach on other tours.

But how did the electric doors work and the Aircon without the 47? Does anyone know?

Mollman

Established Member
Seems a great idea, I wish they'd take that approach on other tours.
But presumably that will be at the cost of two paths so would make most railtours too expensive to run.

1Q18

But presumably that will be at the cost of two paths so would make most railtours too expensive to run.
It also would need two paths to be available close together, which may not be the case.

DelW

Established Member
But how did the electric doors work and the Aircon without the 47? Does anyone know?
A diesel generator built into one of the coaches? I don't have any knowledge of this set, but at least one of the Riviera Trains MK1 sets included such a vehicle.

Gunslinger

Diesel was apparently taken off for 'weight' reasons, which seems a bit odd as I'm sure other tours using the Central Wales route are diesel hauled. The Class 47 made its own way between Craven Arms and Llandeilo Junction via Newport, where it was attached to the rear of the train and hauled it back into Swansea. Trip was made without the benefit of A/C or lighting - fun in the Sugar Loaf tunnel! Best perhaps not to enquire too closely about the CDL - the train made a scheduled stop at Llandrindod where passengers could detrain, so were not locked in.

Where was it again coupled to the train?
Llandeilo Junction, nr Llanelli.

peteb

It was good they ran the train as planned and didn't get diverted via Hereford. I think the Heart of Wales line takes some beating scenery-wise, and a lovely day for it too

You could be looking for my clip, although I'm aware there were other spectators at Bucknell: https://youtu.be/0qWbEICyyrE
It's a great soundtrack on that video and weather looked glorious.

robert thomas

Diesel was apparently taken off for 'weight' reasons, which seems a bit odd as I'm sure other tours using the Central Wales route are diesel hauled. The Class 47 made its own way between Craven Arms and Llandeilo Junction via Newport, where it was attached to the rear of the train and hauled it back into Swansea. Trip was made without the benefit of A/C or lighting - fun in the Sugar Loaf tunnel! Best perhaps not to enquire too closely about the CDL - the train made a scheduled stop at Llandrindod where passengers could detrain, so were not locked in.

Llandeilo Junction, nr Llanelli.
CDL worked as did the toilets