• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Great British Railway Journeys" - Michael Portillo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Any number of repeated episodes being aired on the "Yesterday" TV channel, just now. Currently showing at 6.30 p.m. on Thursday 23rd March 2023 is a re-run of Series 3 Episode 8 (Eastleigh + Isle of Wight)

Question is:- Have any/all of these early half hour episodes (approximate length), which will originally have been broadcast on BBC back in 2012, have been edited / shortened, to allow for adverts on commercial TV?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BrandanM

I believe they are trimmed down by approximately 4 minutes in order to accommodate the adverts at the beginning, middle and end.

I enjoy watching Rick Stein's early series such as 'Taste Of The Sea' on The Food Channel, which were originally shown on the BBC, and they too are edited slightly for the same purpose.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I believe they are trimmed down by approximately 4 minutes in order to accommodate the adverts at the beginning, middle and end.

So, noted. Had wondered if short sections of these programme(s) effectively ended up on the cutting room floor. Guess the alternative is to schedule the (originally) thirty minute programmes into forty minute slots on commercial TV and pad out the additional time with even more adverts and/or programme trailers.

BrandanM

Guess the alternative is to schedule the (originally) thirty minute programmes into forty minute slots on commercial TV and pad out the additional time with even more adverts and/or programme trailers.

If I remember correctly that's what a number of the commercial channels have done previously with some of the classic BBC sitcoms they've shown. Maybe it's harder to trim those down without adversely affecting the continuity.

Status
Not open for further replies.