• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Coastal Rail Journeys

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Michael Portillo is back, minus the Bradshaw, but sporting an orange hat, with a new series on BBC2. This week he is working north from Dunbar to Peterhead. 25 episodes suggests 5 different trips.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
This is being broadcast at 6.30 p.m. each evening on BBC2.

This week the scheduled programmes are:-

Monday 24th January 2022: Dunbar to Edinburgh.

Tuesday 25th January 2022: Leith to Culross.

Wednesday 26th January 2022: Stirling to East Neuk.

Thursday 27th January 2022: St. Andrews to Stonehaven.

Friday 28th January 2022: Forvie to Peterhead.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Next week's scheduled programmes in this series are:-

Monday 31st January 2022: Inverness to the Cairngorms.

Tuesday 1st February 2022: Cullen to Cawdor.

Wednesday 2nd February 2022: Invergordon to Tain.

Thursday 3rd February 2022: Lairg to Caithness.

Friday 4th February 2022: Thurso to Orkney.

Still all in the 6.30 p.m. slot on BBC2.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Must admit I'm pleased they have used a different name for this series. As I watch it sporadically on the iPlayer, I've completely lost track of which of the huge number of "Great British Railway Journeys" episodes I have watched. I hope they continue in this manner with future series being "themed" in this way. Lots of options to do that e.g. "Northern", "Scottish", "Welsh", "London" etc.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

In tonight’s episode Michael Portillo does a piece to camera standing in the middle of a level crossing at Culross. Whilst a freight only line (and little used judging by the rusty rails), it doesn’t set a very good example when Network Rail have highlighted the unacceptable nature of similar behaviour elsewhere.

Mikey C

Established Member
The current Scotrail livery looks really smart in those aerial shots. Has Portillo been travelling on 380s and/or 385s, as I struggle to tell them apart!

BrandanM

Michael Portillo is back, minus the Bradshaw, but sporting an orange hat, with a new series on BBC2. This week he is working north from Dunbar to Peterhead. 25 episodes suggests 5 different trips.

It says 25 episodes on the BBC iPlayer, but they only list 20. The first 10 already shown and 11-20 to be broadcast over the next 2 weeks.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Next week's scheduled programmes in this new series are as follows:-

(All in North East England).

Monday 7th February 2022: Tynemouth to Bardon Mill.

Tuesday 8th February 2022: Newcastle to Lynemouth.

Wednesday 9th February 2022: Morpeth to Amble.

Thursday 10th February 2022: Alnmouth to Bamburgh.

Friday 11th February 2022: Farne Islands to Berwick upon Tweed.

All still in the 6.30 p.m. slot on BBC2.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
I've found it quite informative and good to see something "up to date" as some runs of his original programme are, understandably, getting rather dated.

BrandanM

I'm quite enjoying these programmes. I was a bit envious when he got to Thurso yesterday. Hopefully one day...

Curious as to where the next series will be.

Mikey C

Established Member
Has anyone here done the Corbridge Curry train? If I was up that way, it sounds like quite a nice evening out

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Next week's scheduled programmes in this new series (Week 4) are as follows:-

(All back in Scotland again).

Monday 14th February 2022: Fairlie to Port Glasgow.

Tuesday 15th February 2022: Helensburgh to Connel.

Wednesday 16th February 2022: Oban to Staffa.

Thursday 17th February 2022: Fort William to Glenfinnan.

Friday 18th February 2022: Mallaig to Isle of Lewis/Harris.

Once again, all in the 6.30 p.m. slot on BBC2.

geoffk

Established Member
Interesting that Michael Portillo alighted from the train at Widdrington, Acklington and Chathill, all stations with just one northbound train a day!

Last edited:

Class800

Established Member
How else would he have got there if no special stop orders? Multiple days? Not actually arriving by train?

geoffk

Established Member
How else would he have got there if no special stop orders? Multiple days? Not actually arriving by train?
We don't actually see him getting off at Acklington so I'm guessing he went by road direct to Rothbury.

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Interesting that Michael Portillo alighted from the train at Widdrington, Ackington and Chathill, all stations with just one northbound train a day.

Possibly filmed on multiple days.

P.S. It's Acklington, isnt it?

Mikey C

Established Member
The weather certainly seemed a lot nicer for yesterday's programme around Alnmouth than on the other days, swapping the previous warm coat for his customary coloured jacket!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Next week's scheduled programmes in this new series (Week 5) are as follows:-

Monday 21st February 2022: Avonmouth to Six Bells.

Tuesday 22nd February 2022: Barry Island to Pyle.

Wednesday 23rd February 2022: Port Talbot to Pembrey Burry Point.

Thursday 24th February 2022: Carmarthen to Pembroke.

Friday 25th February 2022: Milford Haven to Fishguard.

Once again, all in the 6.30 p.m. slot on BBC2.

Envoy

Established Member
Usually nothing much about railways in these programmes. He might just as well be travelling around in a car. Take the Barry episode; nothing about the former scrap yards where Woodham held back on scrapping steam engines which led to many being saved for use on heritage lines. They could have shown (after historic film of site) the new developments that are on this land today. Instead, we were treated to a sequence about Pilot boats and another about rescuing a dummy thrown into the sea at Atlantic College. I found the bit about the child finding the ‘dinosaur’ footprint of interest. I would like to have seen at least a shot off the train crossing the Porthkerry viaduct.

Class800

Established Member
I agree - the Orkney one was particularly stark - there's no railway there. It's an interesting programme about the UK, but isn't about railways

Falcon1200

Established Member
Usually nothing much about railways in these programmes. He might just as well be travelling around in a car.

True, but that's what any of these programmes are, travelogues which happen to use trains. However, I found the section on the Severn Bridges (Monday 21st) fascinating, with extensive coverage of the monorail below the second bridge, which I had no idea even existed.

Status
Not open for further replies.