• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Southern, Australia

Train jaune

Just travelled on the Great Southern from Adelaide to Brisbane. Three days and two night travel with off train excursions organised. Great food and drinks options and the sleepers were fine. 1970s stainless steel carriages that are usually used for The Ghan, up to Darwin. Had a great time, but at a price! Think the track could do with some attention as it was a bit bouncy at times

Attachments

• IMG_20240127_173742_3.jpg
    IMG_20240127_173742_3.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 38
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

railfan99

Established Member
That photo appears to be at Goulburn, NSW.

I have done this in the opposite direction.

The on-board musician is most annoying as he means one cannot converse in the lounge car.

Agree it is 'pricey'although the good exchange rate of GBP v AUD may help.

The Pacific national (rail operator) drivers ought limit speed to 80kmh (provided they're not delaying other trains) but they tend top drive where permitted at 115kmh so with the tracks (especially Junee-Sydney and Sydney-Brisbane) having many curves, it can be 'bouncy'.

The on board staff mostly know nothing about railways. The person doing the announcements fails top highlight scenic spots (and 'which side'these are viewable from), such as the Brisbane Water around Gosford, NSW.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Just travelled on the Great Southern from Adelaide to Brisbane. Three days and two night travel with off train excursions organised. Great food and drinks options and the sleepers were fine. 1970s stainless steel carriages that are usually used for The Ghan, up to Darwin. Had a great time, but at a price! Think the track could do with some attention as it was a bit bouncy at times
It may not be billiard table smooth but I doubt there's any need for concern. From what I've seen the trans-continental routes in Australia are extremely well maintained due to the relatively important role that rail-freight plays in the Australian economy especially given Perth's extreme geographic isolation.

LesS

I agree that the image was taken at Goulburn.
Some of the track is in poor condition. Particularly between Melbourne and Albury. It has been very bad between Goulburn and Sydney for some time. A recent trip over this line shows that considerable maintenance has recently been carried out. Late running of regular services over this line has long been a problem.
High speeds between Maitland and Brisbane are not possible because of the number of curves and the tight radius on many.

railfan99

Established Member
Some of the track is in poor condition. Particularly between Melbourne and Albury.

How long is it since you travelled on this c.315 kilometre section?

The tracks are now generally good to excellent:

LesS

Sydney Trains has for some time regularly advised late running due to poor track conditions and speed restrictions, on the main south line.
Much work is continuing in NSW on maintenance.

railfan99

Established Member
Sydney Trains has for some time regularly advised late running due to poor track conditions and speed restrictions, on the main south line.
Much work is continuing in NSW on maintenance.

My question wasn't about Sydney Trains' tracks.

It was about the Australian Rail Track Corporation's leased tracks from Albury south to almost Southern Cross station, Melbourne.

It would appear you haven't travelled on the latter section for years.

LesS

The ARTC track between Goulburn and Campbelltown has been in poor condition for some time. Recently considerable maintenance has been carried out with very little late running now occurring.
To run trains like XPT; Vlocity; Cruise trains you need track which can safely handle train speeds of 130kph or higher. My understanding in Victoria is that ARTC have said that they are obligated to maintain the track to Freight train standards; 80kph and that funding to increase the higher standard would need to come from the Government of Victoria. To the best of my knowledge this funding has not been forthcoming.

railfan99

Established Member
The ARTC track between Goulburn and Campbelltown has been in poor condition for some time. Recently considerable maintenance has been carried out with very little late running now occurring.
To run trains like XPT; Vlocity; Cruise trains you need track which can safely handle train speeds of 130kph or higher. My understanding in Victoria is that ARTC have said that they are obligated to maintain the track to Freight train standards; 80kph and that funding to increase the higher standard would need to come from the Government of Victoria. To the best of my knowledge this funding has not been forthcoming.

NSW TrainLink XPTs and V/Line VLocity railcars operate at up to 130kmh between Melbourne and Albury.