• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Ticket Sale courtesy of Grant Shapps

Status
Not open for further replies.

johntea

Established Member
Leeds - Newcastle
Newcastle - Edinburgh
Edinburgh - Newcastle

Total for the lot…£20.00!

Just trying to work out the Newcastle - Leeds return on Friday, oddly you can get a £3.90 Newcastle - York but Newcastle - Leeds nothing as cheap available

EDIT : Never mind, by splitting at York I can then just purchase a wallet bursting York - Leeds for a whopping £1.50 :D

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainophile

Established Member
I've just got Newcastle to Edinburgh and return for £11.70 with railcard (returning on Lumo). Plus Edinburgh to North Berwick and back for £3.90.

Also, total for two of us, Dundee to Arbroath return for £5.20. Going back to normal fares is going to be quite a shock!

boyaloud

I've got York to Newcastle in 1st class on LNER for £1.75, using £5 off as a new sign up on LNER app and a Railcard!!! Looking forward to a hot meal, booze and 2 first class lounges, one of which I've never been in!

trainophile

Established Member
I've got York to Newcastle in 1st class on LNER for £1.75, using £5 off as a new sign up on LNER app and a Railcard!!! Looking forward to a hot meal, booze and 2 first class lounges, one of which I've never been in!
Blimey, I think you're the winner! Is there a 1st Class lounge at York?

bspahh

Established Member
You can get £2 cashback for any transaction over £5 today (May 2nd) through www.topcashback.co.uk

For example, this could be a train ticket with Chiltern Railways. Its best to use a different WWW browser to the one that you use for day-to-day browsing, when you use a site like www.topcashback.co.uk. For example, I use Chrome normally, but Edge for www.topcashback.co.uk. Then the transactions track reliably.

johntea

Established Member
I haven’t even seen any First Class on sale, just ‘Rail Sale Advance Single’!

Although in fairness it looks like most of my journeys are TPE rather than LNER

Sonic1234

You can get £2 cashback for any transaction over £5 today (May 2nd) through www.topcashback.co.uk

For example, this could be a train ticket with Chiltern Railways. Its best to use a different WWW browser to the one that you use for day-to-day browsing, when you use a site like www.topcashback.co.uk. For example, I use Chrome normally, but Edge for www.topcashback.co.uk. Then the transactions track reliably.
Chiltern don't pay cashback on Advance tickets (Transport for Wales are on Top Cashback and they do). Chiltern does track reliably, great if you need a walk-up ticket to go with your Rail Sale tickets.

STINT47

To help with overcrowding perhaps EMR should have hired in some extra trains?

They couldhave used the Avanti voyagers that aren't being used due to the reduced timetable and engineering work. This Wouldham freed up 222s, which could then be doubled up. I know there is probably a long-lost of why this could not be done but it's meant to be one railway and.the industry needs to start thinking of.the overall situation and to dare to be innovative.

Of course overcrowding on the Intercity routes wasn't meant to be a problem despite only having five car trains after the HSTs went. The 360s were meant to soake up demand from medium distance passengers leaving seats free for longer distances.

In reality a lot of Intercity services from Nottingham were very busy before they reached Kettering even when we had the HSTs. With the change some passengers use the 360s but it.seems.that a lot travel to Kettering and board the now shorter overcrowded Intercity services. For Sheffid most services run fast South of Leicester so none of their passengers could switch. All these.services got was reduced capacity with overcrowding being the result.

I do think it's disgraceful that if you go next door to the Cross most trains are 9 or 10 coach Azumas, whilst down the road most trains are 9 or 11 coach Pendolinos. Yes the 810s are coming but there are not enough on order to eliminate all five car workings on busy services and whilst they will offer more seats than a 222 I still fear that overcrowding is here to stay.

Mikey C

Established Member
Left it quite late (other than arranging a meetup in Oxford with a friend for £5.40 return on Chiltern) as I was umming and erring, but committed myself tonight to

Southern - Victoria to Seaford and Eastbourne to Victoria (with the intention of walking between) for £5.40 return
Southern - Victoria to Chichester return also for £5.40
Southeastern - STP-Maidstone Barracks, and Maidstone East to Victoria for the ripoff price of £8.60 :D

Decided to go for daytrips in the southeast, as I've had a few trips oop north over the last year already.

Par

Got in with some last minute Manchester Victoria to Chester returns for the Railcard price of £1.90 each.

Surprised to discover Northern delivering these to me in both e-ticket and m-ticket formats.

Didn’t think they’d provide both types.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
To help with overcrowding perhaps EMR should have hired in some extra trains?

They couldhave used the Avanti voyagers that aren't being used due to the reduced timetable and engineering work.
Are you sure EMR drivers are allowed to drive 221s with no specific training? I suspect they can't.

The idea of hiring in stock to deal with demand arising from a cut price offer doesn't really make economic sense in any case.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Any statistics from anywhere on whether this Rail Sale has boosted ticket sales overall?
Would like it to have been a success, as it could maybe lead to a change in thinking on fares.
Personally, this has been great for me, a commuter whose travel is wholly outside both peaks. I have the unofficial railcard (Hatton-Lapworth annual season aka Gold Card), so with the half-price promotion, I’m now paying only 1/3rd of the normal undiscounted daily return fare to London Bridge !

Mikey C

Established Member
Any statistics from anywhere on whether this Rail Sale has boosted ticket sales overall?
Would like it to have been a success, as it could maybe lead to a change in thinking on fares.
Personally, this has been great for me, a commuter whose travel is wholly outside both peaks. I have the unofficial railcard (Hatton-Lapworth annual season aka Gold Card), so with the half-price promotion, I’m now paying only 1/3rd of the normal undiscounted daily return fare to London Bridge !
You'd hope that someone, somewhere is analysing the tickets sold, and what sort of journeys are being made. Whether they are regular "commuting" type journeys, or more obviously day trips

VideozVideoz

Managed to take advantage of this "Rail Sale" offer.

Shrewsbury to Swansea via the Heart of Wales lines is one I've always wanted to do and got it for £10.20 one way and a return back to Wrexham from Swansea for £16.70. Bargain if i must say so myself.
Crewe - Fishguard £18.50 one way. Happy with that

Status
Not open for further replies.