• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Bombardier Aventras (Class 720): Technical discussion and introduction

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wivenswold

Established Member
1st in class 501 is on mileage runs on the WCML after its quality control visit to Alstom.
533 was delivered to Wembley last week, not sure if it made it across to GA metals.

robert west

1st in class 501 is on mileage runs on the WCML after its quality control visit to Alstom.
533 was delivered to Wembley last week, not sure if it made it across to GA metals.
720501 at the braintree end on 1300 braintree to liverpool street today

St. Paddy

According to a certain Mr Clinnick on Twitter, 720107 and 533 have entered service. Anyone know if 108 is in service as it was delivered from Derby before 107. Finally, any update on which units have headed south fo mileage accumulation recently. TIA.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
According to a certain Mr Clinnick on Twitter, 720107 and 533 have entered service. Anyone know if 108 is in service as it was delivered from Derby before 107. Finally, any update on which units have headed south fo mileage accumulation recently. TIA.
Reports elsewhere suggest that 720108 was in service on 22 July.

MDB1images

Does anyone know the date 720107 and 720533 entered service and on what services(I usually find the detailed gen on UK Modern EMU group but that seems to have closed down today).

Bikeman78

Established Member
Does anyone know the date 720107 and 720533 entered service and on what services(I usually find the detailed gen on UK Modern EMU group but that seems to have closed down today).
The close down is likely to be temporary. It suffered a spam attack yesterday so the owner has shut it down whilst he sorts it out.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It was a fascinating view. Unusually for such a programme I learned a lot.

One thing I found particularly interesting was the structure - it's aluminium sandwich with corrugated aluminium between the two panels, which explains why the sidewalls are so thick compared with more conventional "body panels welded on a frame" construction used by other companies.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
One thing I found particularly interesting was the structure - it's aluminium sandwich with corrugated aluminium between the two panels

I haven’t seen the programme so can’t be sure, but what you describe sounds like what has been the standard method of construction for most Aluminium multiple units from the Class 158 onwards.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I haven’t seen the programme so can’t be sure, but what you describe sounds like what has been the standard method of construction for most Aluminium multiple units from the Class 158 onwards.

Yet the 158, Desiro etc have much thinner sidewalls than the *Star and Aventra, I guess it's just a different design of "honeycomb"?

hwl

Established Member
One thing I found particularly interesting was the structure - it's aluminium sandwich with corrugated aluminium between the two panels, which explains why the sidewalls are so thick compared with more conventional "body panels welded on a frame" construction used by other companies.
It isn't...

Each "plank" is cut (across the width from longer lengths) of a single extrusion. It is a single contiguous structure e.g. there aren't two panels with a sandwich etc like some composite structures, the structure you see is exactly as it left the extrusion press.

The most similar item most people will be familiar with are the extruded polycarbonate conservatory roof panels which have similar plank geometry limits (can be very slightly wider). With conservatory roof panels the hollow sections are rectangular cross section with the webs perpendicular to the sides (so they are more transparent) but with the rail extrusions strength and stiffness are more important so the webs are angled and the cross sections are trapezoidal.

For each larger parts (e.g. complete side) the adjacent planks click together similar laminate flooring and the joins are then welded inside and out.

Floor panels are typically 4 planks wide and side /roof panel 4/5 planks wide depending on manufacturer.

Sides normally have 3 separate profiles for the 5 planks e.g. bottom - middle - middle - middle - top.

Bombardier (Derby) are unique in using huckbolts to joint the completed floor / side / roof panels, at other factories including other former Bombardier factories outside the UK the joints between the floor /sides/roof are welded which significantly slows down overall production rates (if everything was built comparably well!)

XAM2175

Established Member
Each "plank" is cut (across the width from longer lengths) of a single extrusion. It is a single contiguous structure e.g. there aren't two panels with a sandwich etc like some composite structures, the structure you see is exactly as it left the extrusion press.
Is this an evolution of - or replacement for - Bombardier's original FICAS technique?

ANTONOV 12BP

I've seen a lot of 5 car 720s on the West Anglian routes over the past few days. Do we know when GA will start doubling up the units, as I can't imagine 5 cars doing much justice on the Stansted shuttles, especially if we are due to lose the 745s onto the Great Eastern

St. Paddy

I've seen a lot of 5 car 720s on the West Anglian routes over the past few days. Do we know when GA will start doubling up the units, as I can't imagine 5 cars doing much justice on the Stansted shuttles, especially if we are due to lose the 745s onto the Great Eastern
I would guess that now the 317s are finished, getting rid of the 321s will be the next priority so you might be waiting a while

there are two AM peaks from Camb that are 10 car now, but long/medium distance commuter numbers are still massively down on pre-covid and so 5 cars manage fine on Camb services generally.

Some Hert East LivSt and Storford Stratford services are crowded Tott Hale - Cheshunt, but they cant be run as 10 cars until platform extension work at Hert East, Ware, Stratford plat 11 etc is completed.

Bikeman78

Established Member
there are two AM peaks from Camb that are 10 car now, but long/medium distance commuter numbers are still massively down on pre-covid and so 5 cars manage fine on Camb services generally.

Some Hert East LivSt and Storford Stratford services are crowded Tott Hale - Cheshunt, but they cant be run as 10 cars until platform extension work at Hert East, Ware, Stratford plat 11 etc is completed.
A single 720 on Stansted Express must be grim. I did a few runs on pairs of 317s and the peak time runs were rammed with a mix of Harlow commuters and luggage laden airport passengers. Squeezing that lot into a space 40m shorter must be really enjoyable. Fortunately it's not my problem :)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A single 720 on Stansted Express must be grim. I did a few runs on pairs of 317s and the peak time runs were rammed with a mix of Harlow commuters and luggage laden airport passengers. Squeezing that lot into a space 40m shorter must be really enjoyable. Fortunately it's not my problem :)

TBH the Ryanair crowd are probably just about the only thing for which the wretched things are suitable! :)