• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater anglia class 360 repaints?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Weren't the 360s painted with some sort of graffiti-resistant paint which means they're a lot harder to paint over than other units?

MCR247

Established Member
It means they have to be fully sanded down before you can paint them

fgwrich

Established Member
Weren't the 360s painted with some sort of graffiti-resistant paint which means they're a lot harder to paint over than other units?

It means they have to be fully sanded down before you can paint them

They were, hence one of the reasons as to why they've managed to stay in First Group blue for so long, and why NX Chose to go for the sticky back plastic option when it came to NXEAs franchise launch, vice a painted finnish as per the 317s.

Dan1997

They didn't think that through really did they? did they not think "What if we don't run the franchise forever? Because the future operators might not want their trains to look like Barbie dolls"

jopsuk

Veteran Member
But they don't look like "barbie dolls" do they? They have a base of graffiti-resistant dark blue. The pink bits were vinyls that they haven't sported since First lost the franchise.

MCR247

Established Member
And tbh why would they care about future operators?

Established Member
I'd have thought a company would be far more concerned with not having graffiti all over their shiny new trains, rather than how easy it'll be for someone else to repaint them!

nxea321446

If wabtec rail doncaster were to like get the contract for repainting them it would be really strange to see a 360 sitting in the west yard

Pugwash

The real question is what are GA going to use as a substitute whilst they are away being painted ?.

There are not enough spare units as it is.

The real question is what are GA going to use as a substitute whilst they are away being painted ?.

There are not enough spare units as it is.

It's not uncommon for 321's to substitute for 360's in the event of a shortfall. I'm sure Ilford could rejig some maintenance to release an extra bin or two each day.

Anyway, I don't know of any plans to refirb the 360's. The interiors are desperate to be done, especially the seat covers.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
and other than paint scheme, a 333 centre car is visually pretty similar to a 360 one- the Desiro is a development of the 332/333

sprinterguy

Established Member
and other than paint scheme, a 333 centre car is visually pretty similar to a 360 one- the Desiro is a development of the 332/333
If you ignore the ribbon glazing, the different body profile, the different roof profile, the covered in underframe equipment areas on the 332/333s compared to the exposed mechanical and electrical equipment carried by the Desiros, and the fact that class 332/333 carriages are 23 metre vehicles whilst Desiros have 20 metre carriages?

With all that taken into consideration, what exactly do you see as being visually similar between the two units (They also have different bogies, as the 332s and 333s were a joint collaboration between CAF and Siemens)?

badassunicorn

Anti Graffiti is kinda useless when the exterior is so dirty the fitters just draw things into the dirt with wet wipes haha! I don't think they are planning on doing it, they only have a year left of the current franchise, maybe if they get the long one!

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Are you sure you didn't see a class 185 at donny they are desiros too

Nope, it was a doorless 360 DMS in full obsolete First Great Eastern livery. I'm one of the last people to be able to confuse a 360 with a 185!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
That's a good question, but it being a shell makes it even less likley it was a 360- there have after all been none seriously damaged, and novehicles in the fleet still carry the pink and white First Group stripes. As far as I know, only Scotrail have units still in a similar livery. Unlikely to have been a ScotRail 170.

fgwrich

Established Member
Was it in the unbranded First Group blue or FGW Livery?

There is a doorless, windowless First Great Eastern (Barbie!) liveried 321 Shell parked up in Wabtec Doncaster - this is a spare class 321 Bodyshell that spent many years over in Crewe before turning up in Doncaster reccently.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Was it in the unbranded First Group blue or FGW Livery?

There is a doorless, windowless First Great Eastern (Barbie!) liveried 321 Shell parked up in Wabtec Doncaster - this is a spare class 321 Bodyshell that spent many years over in Crewe before turning up in Doncaster reccently.

It was in Barbie livery, I wonder if i've confused it with the 321? :oops:

F Great Eastern

Established Member
There was never a 321 in First Great Eastern barbie that ever run in service during First's tenure in East Anglia. There were two versions of the Blue/Green/Grey livery though.

These are the four versions of the Barbie livery on the 360s, in order of which they appeared in only the fourth exists now.

Fully branded First Great Eastern Barbie
http://www.flickr.com/photos/martincoles/6214943743/

Debranded Great Eastern Barbie (Flying F and First Logos removed
http://www.flickr.com/photos/r-t-c/8371937434/

Plain Purple with white doors
http://www.flickr.com/photos/camperdown/6343629225/

Plain Purple with newly added white stripes (the white stripes originally had NXEA logos)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45220772@N06/7536850476/

There is no vehicle that is wearing any element on FGE livery apart from the base colour anymore. The white stripes were added AFTER the units were stripped down to just the base colour. They are not the former FGE stripes since they were removed.

nxea321446

There is a spare class 321 carriage that sits stored in the works it was built if a class 321 driving car is damaged then that will be used is was sent to wabtec rail from crewe when the 321s were being repainted

fgwrich

Established Member
No vehicle, but as i said there is a First Great Eastern Barbie Class 321 Bodyshell in Wabtec Doncaster. This subject came up on here a few weeks ago in another thread.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
I'd love to see a picture of that, simply because it would be interesting to see such livery on a bodyshell that never actually happened on an active unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.