• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greggs lorry overturns at Bognor Regis causing suspected gas leak (25/06)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Haven't seen this reported here but relevance is that it has overturned next to the signal box causing disruption to train services.

Reported that there are no trains to/from Bognor Regis. It is blocking access to signalling equipment and risks a telegraph pole being felled if moved. Whether this is relevant to signalling or BT I don't know

A lorry has overturned near a railway line causing a gas leak.“
A lorry has left the road, going through a fence backing on to the railway. A gas main and BT line have also been damaged. The road is currently CLOSED. Please stay away from the area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
I'd imagine the biggest concern is for the Signaller, who might be in the danger radius if the gas ignited.

Ianigsy

In the meantime, the people of Bognor are deeply embarrassed now that the rest of the world knows that they’ve got a Greggs.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Causing a gas leak BEFORE people have eaten them - cutting out a stage...

More seriously, from the pictures it's hard to see how this happened other than through taking the sharp bend too fast, given the lack of other vehicles involved or any strong wind. A slightly different trajectory could have been extremely dangerous for the signaller(s) and caused vast service problems through destroyed equipment. Lazy journalism again, though, by saying the lorry overturned on a railway line rather than adjacent to it - there's an important difference.

Last edited:

Russel

The gas leak part is confusing, where would it be coming from, I thought gas mains were usually underground, could it be something the lorry was carrying?

Dave W

The west end of the coastway has been stuffed on and off all day by this. I was meant to be on the 1832 from Chichester to London which was canned, although the train it was meant to join did run from Bognor.

We were sent to Worthing to change for the Littlehampton-London, but a bit of rail nous had us safely changing at Angmering for a table in coach 1, avoiding what I presume is now a wedged rear set.

Dreamy way to spend a Sunday night... :D

Deepgreen

Established Member
Humour aside, one hopes the lorry driver is okay o_O

Update from Southern; line expected to be reopened now. The lorry has been righted and a site inspection is underway/to take place
Shaken, I hope, so that he takes more care in future, UNLESS there were other factors not apparent, making him not culpable.

The west end of the coastway has been stuffed on and off all day by this. I was meant to be on the 1832 from Chichester to London which was canned, although the train it was meant to join did run from Bognor.

We were sent to Worthing to change for the Littlehampton-London, but a bit of rail nous had us safely changing at Angmering for a table in coach 1, avoiding what I presume is now a wedged rear set.

Dreamy way to spend a Sunday night... :D
Would it not be gangway-connected allowing passengers to spread out?

Dave W

Shaken, I hope, so that he takes more care in future, UNLESS there were other factors not apparent, making him not culpable.

Would it not be gangway-connected allowing passengers to spread out?

Yes in theory. That wasn't what happened on the connecting 4 car though of course... 2nd car was packed the rafters and 1st car had seats! :lol:

Irrelevant now as a Gatwick flood has just descended and the entire thing is full and standing...

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Firstly: I hope everyone involved is safe and well. That should be a given but you never know!

Secondly: PRIORITES PEOPLE: Who cares about the trains?? SAVE THE GREGGS!

1Q18

I’m told by the signaller on duty at the time, the lorry was doing 30mph round the tight curve by the box. The driver was uninjured, apparently was quite inexperienced and had only been driving lorries for about four months. Luckily damage to the box was limited to the aforementioned gas supply, one broken window, the waste water pipe and air conditioning pipework. Extremely lucky that it didn’t hit a bit further back, and indeed that the box is shorter at the south end where the lorry struck after a runaway EMU hit it thirty years ago!

Status
Not open for further replies.