• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grimsby to Birmingham International return next weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeGee

Hi folks,

I'm considering getting a train to the National Running Show this weekend as I'm able to knock off work early on Friday.

I've found a £70.10 off-peak return fare, but when I look on NRE, it is only available for certain routings back to GMB, namely those that run directly from New Street to Sheffield.

I've attached a screenshot showing which faes are acceptable. Nothing gives a fare for the other routings.

Is there a reason? Will those trains not be running? I'm happy to do the services where I can get a fare, but I'll be travelling back at unknown times on the Saturday, so I'd like to get the first train and travel as best as possible in the correct direction.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-01-15-20-50-59-32_5c11c56bb54ebd1f8fc77cbfca4b7c71.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-01-15-20-50-59-32_5c11c56bb54ebd1f8fc77cbfca4b7c71.jpg
    594.6 KB · Views: 21
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Benjwri

Established Member
Is there a reason? Will those trains not be running? I'm happy to do the services where I can get a fare, but I'll be travelling back at unknown times on the Saturday, so I'd like to get the first train and travel as best as possible in the correct direction.
These itineraries aren't available for booking because they are taking an Avanti service from Birmingham International to Birmingham New Street, and Avanti hasn't released tickets for their services on the 21st yet. Once they release tickets the services should be bookable.

As for whether the trains will run, Avanti are currently allergic to running their full timetable, so there is a chance the train from Birmingham International to Birmingham New Street will not run, but that route is also used by 4 other operators, so you shouldn't be in much trouble if it doesn't.

As you're planning on buying a walk up fare (Off-Peak Return), I would just wait until Avanti releases tickets, which should be in the next few days and book whichever itinerary suits you best. I would then look up trains between Birmingham International to Birmingham New Street, and plan to take the first train before the Avanti service on your itinerary that isn't run by Avanti, and plan to take that before following your itinerary. This means that you will still be within minimum connection time at New Street if you do need to claim delay repay.

DeeGee

It's not a fare issue, then.

If I get an open return, I'm fine using any train to New Street, then any train via either Sheffield or Nottingham back to Grimsby, aren't I?

Benjwri

Established Member
If I get an open return, I'm fine using any train to New Street, then any train via either Sheffield or Nottingham back to Grimsby, aren't I?
Yes for a ticket with routing 'Any Permitted', there are mapped routes via both Nottingham (Via Leicester and Lincoln, or via Derby and Lincoln) and Sheffield (Via Liecester or via Tamworth)

Status
Not open for further replies.