• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Group seeking to purchase a class 317 to convert to a 210 DEMU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
The Birmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon Company is a crowd funding campaign to save a class 317 to convert into a class 210 DEMU. Rail Magazine says they are looking to raise £35k. https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/class210demu says its £20k.
I wish them all the best, but I fear for them a bit. The Class 769 had Porterbrook and Brush behind it, and that took years to get right. I dread to think how much work it will take to rip a 317 apart and weld it back together, with engines no less.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I wish them all the best, but I fear for them a bit. The Class 769 had Porterbrook and Brush behind it, and that took years to get right. I dread to think how much work it will take to rip a 317 apart and weld it back together, with engines no less.
I think it's one carriage they need off the 317 complete 210 003; they have the rest already?

Last edited:

On Moderation
They are dreaming. Where are they putting the engine, bearing in mind that the motor car in the originals was significantly different to accept the weight.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I think it's one carriage they need to off the 317 complete 210 003; they have the rest already?
They need a whole 317. What is the rest? I don't think they are going to get their hands on the 210 coach at the East Kent Railway.

A long way to go to £20,000 or £35,000 starting from the current pledges of £180.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
They need a whole 317. What is the rest? I don't think they are going to get their hands on the 210 coach at the East Kent Railway.

A long way to go to £20,000 or £35,000 starting from the current pledges of £180.

On 29th March they stated they already have enough funds to get the one vehicle they still needed to complete the 210 replica; they are trying to save additional class 317 vehicles - presumably as spares, which does seem a valid reason. The appeal appears to be for these additional vehicles.

https://twitter.com/003_210/status/1641168426310795266?s=20

We have enough money in the kitty to purchase the TCO the Project 210 needs, if you can help top up the funds so that we can save more Class 317 vehicles we would be very grateful.

1681333922849.png

Train Maniac

I mean, it answers the question about preserving EMU's at least.... Haha

As has been mentioned. I think part of the original unit is currently at Shepherdswell, so not horrifically pie in the sky. Wish them the best of luck :)

I look forward to following the progress of a class 210 project, is there a separate thread for this please.

In respect of preservation of EMU's I have always wanted to preserve a merseyrail class 508 as a 4 coach unit but got highly ridiculed for even having the idea but to anybody out there who is part of a preservation society I wish you well in your efforts, at least you will be able to do something I have wanted to do since I heard about the merseyrail unit withdrawal but thats a topic for another thread before I get a 3rd reprimand.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
On 29th March they stated they already have enough funds to get the one vehicle they still needed to complete the 210 replica; they are trying to save additional class 317 vehicles - presumably as spares, which does seem a valid reason. The appeal appears to be for these additional vehicles.

https://twitter.com/003_210/status/1641168426310795266?s=20

View attachment 132846

Unfortunately it’s not possible to quote much here. But it does say this:
We have enough money in the kitty to purchase the TCO the Project 210 needs, if you can help top up the funds so that we can save more Class 317 vehicles we would be very grateful.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I dont think it is as positive as that twitter post suggests. The latest Facebook thread suggests that their hope to procure a trailer coach from a 317 has failed.

With great saddness I have to announce that barring a miracle we will only be able to build a 3 car Class 210 inner suburban set. For reasons we aren't aware of our rather frustrating 4 year effort to secure a TCO has failed. Yesterday Angel Trains advised that all remaining Class 317's have been sold or consigned for scrap with no coaches available to us. All efforts will now be directed to securing a home for the vehicles we have been offered to get the job done.

Would a coach from a class 319, 320, 321 or 322 unit be correct to fill the gap of the missing 317 coach, after all they were all built to the same design weren't they

Phil Scott

There's also a trailer from 317345 in an undustrial park near Reading

Perhaps strip the seats from a 317 trailer at the scrap yard and fit them to something else

D365

Veteran Member
Period-accurate seats surely should be the least of their worries.

On Moderation
Period-accurate seats surely should be the least of their worries.
Indeed. I'd suggest working out how to install a fairly sizeable diesel engine into a vehicle that wasn't designed to take one ought to be the priority!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Any of the Mk3 based units would yield similar trailers. If it's a driving trailer, the earlier builds would need less work done to them to get the correct profile at the cab top.

The 317s would have been the first choice because the 210s ( if I remember right ) had the small metal vents above the windows like the first batch of 317s did - again, not impossible to replicate but clearly easier if you can get them straight off.

Magdalia

Established Member
The 317s would have been the first choice because the 210s ( if I remember right ) had the small metal vents above the windows like the first batch of 317s did
When new the Bedpan class 317s did not have any window ventilation at all.

The metal hopper vents were a modification after passenger complaints about the trains being too hot on sunny summer days. This was particularly a problem with units that had sat in the carriage sidings between the peaks, where the ventilation system was inadequate for dispersing the heat resulting from solar gain.

It won't have the right seats to recreate a 210 though.
A class 317 car would still be missing various original features of the seating and the rubber mounting strips that ran the length of each car.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
BRCW are serial crowd funders who achieve nothing. They are one of two things and neither of those things are serious preservationists. Fortunately, despite publicity in RAIL and this thread, most people appear to have realised this as they have raised a total of nothing in the last 2 weeks.

Tony2

Would be even better to get car 67400 from class 455 unit 5912 when that becomes redundant- as that was an original class 210 trailer. It has the window vents. Ex class 210 trailer 67301 still exists as well in class 455 unit 5913.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Would be even better to get car 67400 from class 455 unit 5912 when that becomes redundant- as that was an original class 210 trailer. It has the window vents.
67400 doesn't have the 210 window vents. It has conventional Mark 3 windows.

eldomtom2

On Moderation
In the present circumstances, working out how to convert EMUs to battery operation in a sympathetic manner would be a better use of time...

MP33

Would be cheaper and easier to electrify a short heritage railway to run it as it is at present?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Would be cheaper and easier to electrify a short heritage railway to run it as it is at present?
I'm not sure that having a heritage railway running 25kV electrification is a good idea, even if it was a realistic prospect.

SargeNpton

Established Member
Why on earth try to preserve an example of a (largely) failed experiment that is now a mere footnote in the history of the railways?

Outside of a few enthusiasts there would be little interest in it being run on a heritage railway so it would more than likely end up being stored in a siding where the elements would soon take their toll.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Why on earth try to preserve an example of a (largely) failed experiment that is now a mere footnote in the history of the railways?
The class 317 was a highly successful part of the railway, as indeed was the 319.

Recreating a 210 would arguably keep a 317 alive in a manner that allows the unit to represent that era of outer suburban travel, in a way that it can't be kept alive as a static exhibit.

Similarly preserving a 769 would do the same for the 319 fleet.

That said, I am not sure where the repeat custom would come from after the novelty value wore off.

I worry about the folk bunging money at this project.
Has anyone actually bunged money at this project?

I note that people bunging money at heritage railways may just be paying staff wages, debt and energy bills, which are all unfortunately necessities to keep the operational side of the railway functioning, but have no magic about them.

On Moderation
Has anyone actually bunged money at this project?
The fund raising page linked to up thread suggests they have raised £180 so far, so doesn’t look like many people are bunging money at it so far.

Frankly, this is one of those projects that needs to be put out if its misery - it is never going to succeed.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I believe people should be free to donate their money to whatever aspect of preservation they like, if folks don't like a project there are plenty of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.