• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR - Trainee Train Driver - Cambridge & Welwyn Garden City (12/01/24)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Polar

These don't come up often. Cambridge is a great depot to work at. Good ppl and a good variety of work.

Shunter Bones

@BlackAdam I think the SJT will just form part of the initial sift, I'd guess a RAAT to follow then a psychometric either before or after interview. It seems to vary between tocs/focs.

MattyL

Would anyone have the address for the depot? I'm just seeing if I'm within the time limitation before going through the application process. Thanks

crebbs1

Hi all, I’ve a friend who is looking to apply and it’s asking for a GTR reference number. Anyone know what that is referring to?
Thanks

ac6000cw

Established Member
Would anyone have the address for the depot? I'm just seeing if I'm within the time limitation before going through the application process. Thanks
I don't work for the railway, but the train crew building at Cambridge is in the station car park area, just off the north end of platform 6. Note if you're getting there by car - Cambridge has very bad traffic congestion at peak periods.

Magdalia

Established Member
I don't work for the railway, but the train crew building at Cambridge is in the station car park area, just off the north end of platform 6. Note if you're getting there by car - Cambridge has very bad traffic congestion at peak periods.
That is the location of what was originally called the Joint Signing On Point. But is that what GTR use now? After privatisation various TOCs did their own thing with signing on points outside the station.

The Cambridge evening congestion starts early with the school run, and it particularly affects the main roads in and out of the City. Cambridge traffic congestion is also very variable being affected particularly by bad weather (lots of people going by car instead of cycling) and road works (Cambridge is almost entirely single carriageway roads requiring extensive use of temporary traffic lights).

MattyL

Thanks guys, yes experienced the bad Cambridge traffic!

I did wonder if the depot would be just at the main station but wasn't 100%, even after using google.

diego1234

Does GTR currently have some kind of arrangement with the government to recruit trainees over qualified drivers?

ac6000cw

Established Member
That is the location of what was originally called the Joint Signing On Point. But is that what GTR use now? After privatisation various TOCs did their own thing with signing on points outside the station.
As I was at Cambridge station this afternoon, I had a look around to try and answer the question...

The 'Cambridge JSOP' (it's still called that - there's a large sign on the railway side of the building) owns up to being the GA traincrew facility. The GTR traincrew office is in the station building - the outside entrance is halfway between the south end of the station facade and the 'Subway' sandwich shop.

Last edited:

WeGoAgain

Just use the Station address. As above, it's not even a minute's walk to the building from the main entrance of the Station.

Last edited:

paul weston

does anyone/anybody know what the correct answers to the questions as i still don't understand why a driver standing on a platform getting asked weather the 1st train or the 2nd train will get somewhere quicker then the other one has any relevance to driving trains

tiptoptaff

Established Member
does anyone/anybody know what the correct answers to the questions as i still don't understand why a driver standing on a platform getting asked weather the 1st train or the 2nd train will get somewhere quicker then the other one has any relevance to driving trains
Because a driver will be expected to provide some degree of customer service when asked a question like that

baz962

Established Member
Well to that specific question see what tiptoptaff wrote above. I don't know exactly how the question is asked but I will add that safety comes first and then passenger service and also punctuality. As a driver you will be expected to help a customer but without making your own train late , so if you don't have time to help you point them to platform staff or a help point. Also the situational judgement test will have many questions that look like they don't have anything to do with train driving. But they are just overall used to gain an insight into thought process. You can't overthink these tests you have to answer with what you would personally do.

BiggsSam

I’ve been specifically waiting for this position to arise and have put a lot of effort into my CV / Application so eagerly waiting to hear back.

I’ve seen on other threads about a mini scaat. Is this something that’s asked should you pass the initial sift?

I also saw the Welwyn post be advertised… this is actually slightly closer to me than the Cambridge depot. I’m wondering if I should submit my application for the Welwyn position too?

Shunter Bones

@BiggsSam Definately apply for both, not sure where scaat fits into the application process, I applied to GTR and got sent a link for situational judgement test straight away. How this affects an application I don't know others on here may know.

Tcastle15

Hi there,

Recently applied for the GTR Welwyn Garden city based role and the Cambridge based role. Had a question about the ‘stand alone test’ that I was sent along with completing the application. I use the How2become a train driver SJT book as a study guide in preparation for this test but I was wondering if anyone had any better advice or link or reference to any other information or study guide that I could use going forward to prepare for this test as I noticed the questions were fairly different to the ones I studied from.

Many thanks,

Tom

Ses16

Hi there,

Recently applied for the GTR Welwyn Garden city based role and the Cambridge based role. Had a question about the ‘stand alone test’ that I was sent along with completing the application. I use the How2become a train driver SJT book as a study guide in preparation for this test but I was wondering if anyone had any better advice or link or reference to any other information or study guide that I could use going forward to prepare for this test as I noticed the questions were fairly different to the ones I studied from.

Many thanks,

Tom
Is that the initial GTR situational judgement test? If it is then it’s a test of your judgement of what you think is the most right and the most wrong thing to do. There’s no guidance or references for you because it’s based on what you’d do.

@BiggsSam Definately apply for both, not sure where scaat fits into the application process, I applied to GTR and got sent a link for situational judgement test straight away. How this affects an application I don't know others on here may know.
The test you got sent is automatic and is part of the early sift. If you score well on the SJT, then your application will be read and if successful, details passed to the OPC for the mini scaat test.

Last edited:

Ladder23

Established Member
Having failed a DMI at another toc recently would I be exempt from applying for this, or does that only apply to the toc I failed with? This is actually one of two Tocs I have been wanting to apply for.

Tcastle15

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply, and yes it was the initial GTR test. It was called the ‘stand alone’ test. So in regards to some of these online (mini)psychometric tests, I’ve sat through many like these before while applying for senior conductor roles, CSA/platform staff roles or other trainee driver roles etc. But after some research I found that there are books and study guides that you can review to help with being successful at some of these tests as although the SJT is about your judgement, I do believe there is a particular guideline you should follow when choosing the correct answer in the multiple choice (for example: knowing whether you should contact the signaller or the guard upon emergency breaking while driving a train)There are booklets and pieces of information out there that will help understand the reasoning behind the guidelines that should be followed on the railway and as a driver. I was just wondering as Im already using the how2become version of study materials, does anyone possibly have any other useful train driver study materials or guides that might help prepare when taking this test? Also how2become really helped me prepare when I attended the OPC in Watford last December for the stage 1 testing.

Kind regards,

Tom

Ses16

Having failed a DMI at another toc recently would I be exempt from applying for this, or does that only apply to the toc I failed with? This is actually one of two Tocs I have been wanting to apply for.
You’re fully free to apply for this toc. You’d only be barred if it was the same toc you failed the DMI at within a 6 month period. So put an application in asap.