• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guess the Station...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Nope unless selby has changed in the last few months.

*Cue it actually being selby and me looking a fool :oops:*

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I don't think it's Selby because this picture is looking east ( Sun angle... ); at Selby you'd be facing the curve in that direction.

thefab444

Established Member
I think a clue is in order, as the oil train has confused things a bit. It doesn't look anything like Selby though! :?

It's south of the Thames and was operated by Network South East. That should narrow it down significantly.

Last edited:

thefab444

Established Member
As far as I know the Liverpool Street - Kings Lynn line does not go south of the Thames!

Not Bishopstone either - that's electrified/no freight.

thefab444

Established Member
You're on the right lines now (pun intended), but too far east.

In fairness I realise now that the photo was a bit too ambigious!

Lampshade

Established Member
Appledore? Rye?

West of Rye seems unlikely, it's single track in places.

Last edited by a moderator:

thefab444

Established Member
Well, by the right lines I meant the right sort of line - not the actual line. :oops:

Another clue:
The train in the photograph started its journey at the Fawley Oil Refinery near Southampton.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It's a long straight non-electrified line in the NSE area. That narrows it down to only one in my mind. Assuming it's not a very old picture from before the eastern section was electrified, I'll start the bidding with Shalford?

TomJ93

Didn't see the post saying it was south of the Thames. Kiderminster?

NXEA!

Stourbridge Junction? I posted Birmingham Moor Street but theres hardly any trees there; plus i seem to recall trees at the Kidderminster end of Stroubridge Junction...

thefab444

Established Member
Stourbridge Junction? I posted Birmingham Moor Street but theres hardly any trees there; plus i seem to recall trees at the Kidderminster end of Stroubridge Junction...

I think you may be right. It's not Dorridge as the platforms there are curved, and it's definately not Acocks Green.

4SRKT

Established Member
If NXEA hasn't posted one soon then I reckon somebody's gonna break the rules again.....

4SRKT

Established Member
Indeed, it would be very wrong, but when people are pushed it can be hard to predict the outcome.

NXEA!

Sorry, I was offline, if you guys could be patient, I'll post it a picture at the end of the night, promise. But I don't mind if someone uploads a picture in the meantime. :)