• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guildford or Woking to Bexleyheath fare advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

flymo

Established Member
I'll be likely travelling from either Guildford or Woking to Bexleyheath on Monday 23, probably early or mid afternoon. This is a single journey only, no return needed. Looking online there is a single ticket via Waterloo at about 14.10 or 16.50 via Waterloo / Waterloo East.

Looking at the fare zone map I see that both Surbiton and Bexleyheath are within the Oyster PAYG area so at the moment I'm looking at getting the train from Guildford / Woking > Surbiton for about 6 or 7 pounds - no problems there. I am then looking to exit the barriers with the ticket at Surbiton then use my PAYG Oyster to re-enter at Surbiton then go via Clapham Jn > Denmark Hill > Bexleyheath. The fare on the single journey finder is listed as 2.50 off peak or 3.90 peak.

My question is, when using Oyster is there a minimum balance I would need to make the ticket valid and use the routeing I mention above (I think I have about 4.00 on at the moment but will check before travel) and are there any route validators at either Clapham Jn or Denmark Hill (or both !!) that I need to use to confirm my routeing.

As you can maybe tell I'm not used to Oyster yet and would appreciate any advice in advance.

Ta very much.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hassaanhc

Established Member
£4 PAYG would be fine. There are higher fares for going via Zone 1, and using LO from Clapham Junction means you are avoiding Z1. Therefore at Clapham Junction you will need to use the pink route validator to tell the system you didn't go into Z1.

Last edited:

flymo

Established Member
£4 PAYG would be fine. There are higher fares for going via Zone 1, and using LO from Clapham Junction means you are avoiding Z1. Therefore at Clapham Junction you will need to use the pink route validator to tell the system you didn't go into Z1.

Thanks. I'll check the balance before I tap in at Surbiton just to be sure.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thanks. I'll check the balance before I tap in at Surbiton just to be sure.

The gate should display your balance when you touch in. It will let you in with just a single zone fare (about £1.60). The pink validator at Clapham Junction is at the bottom of the London end stairs on platforms 1/2 which you need for the Overground.

Status
Not open for further replies.