• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guildford Vision Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Just found out about the Guildford Vision Group's masterplan for fixing transport in Guildford! I've filled out the survey and given some feedback. Mainly how hard it is to get from the station to my place of work by bus.

All my colleagues travel in by car and dont understand the problems of taking public transport. Because there are no bus lanes I get stuck in the same traffic they do, which means I often miss my train and have a 30 minute wait.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hophead

Established Member
I may have a look at that as I will soon be having more of an interest in transport in Guildford.

When investigating the options, I was surprised and disappointed to find that Safeguard do not accept PlusBus on their 4/5 routes, which rather reduces the attractiveness of using the bus to connect with the train there. No wonder so many prefer to drive.

GodAtum

On Moderation
All the buses, including the 4/5 I use, are overpriced. £2.50 for a return is much more then any London route.

Barn

Established Member
GodAtum:2305663 said:
All the buses, including the 4/5 I use, are overpriced. £2.50 for a return is much more then any London route.

A return bus journey in London is actually £3!

higthomas

Well it's £5 for a return to Guildford from Bramley! For £6 I can go on every Ariiva bus in Surrey all day. Crazy! I don't know how they intend to get anyone to travel on their buses at those prices.

WestCoast

Established Member
£2.50 for a return is much more then any London route.

Normal nationwide these days unfortunately. It's £2.20 for a single on anything but a very short hop in Birmingham, £4.20 for a return/daysaver :-x

stut

Established Member
It's about £6 for a 10-mile journey round our way.

Problem is, the vast majority of bus users where I am are older, and using free bus passes. It's an entirely laudable scheme, but hasn't been backed up by adequate funding - and council subsidies have plummeted further recently too. So casual users are the ones that pay the price - that's if the bus is still running. Plenty places are now only served by once-a-week buses run by charitable organisations to get people out and about.

The same company runs school buses, where the fare is more than the adult fare, as the operation is apparently costlier to run. Because a number of school children started taking the standard service bus, they started charging school children more than the adult fare as a result, saying "they can always change out of uniform if they want to pay the standard fare". All thanks to the beardie Scottish homophobe.

The council is just as bad. If children are sent to a school several miles away because the council couldn't be arsed monitoring birth rates to get sufficient school places in certain towns and villages, they are obliged to provide free transport. So that's what they do - give a bus pass. To the child only. Even if they're 4. And their 6-year-old sibling is in another school a further 3 miles away.

Last edited:

Robertj21a

On Moderation

£2.50 for a return !! - must be about the cheapest fare outside London. It's frustrating for those of us outside TfL-land to see just how cheap all the bus fares are in London, while we pay £2- £3 just for a single.

ooo

The same company runs school buses, where the fare is more than the adult fare, as the operation is apparently costlier to run. Because a number of school children started taking the standard service bus, they started charging school children more than the adult fare as a result, saying "they can always change out of uniform if they want to pay the standard fare". All thanks to the beardie Scottish homophobe..

Now that really is wrong. I would have thought that wouldn't be allowed.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Just found out about the Guildford Vision Group's masterplan for fixing transport in Guildford! I've filled out the survey and given some feedback. Mainly how hard it is to get from the station to my place of work by bus.

All my colleagues travel in by car and dont understand the problems of taking public transport. Because there are no bus lanes I get stuck in the same traffic they do, which means I often miss my train and have a 30 minute wait.

Is it possible to provide a more direct link to something that shows what the plans for Guildford actually are, and makes it clearer to what extent they are being proposed/supported by the relevant local authorities? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I've spent some time navigating around the guildfordvisiongroup site, as well as Guildford Borough Council's website, and all I can find are comments about some 'town centre master plan', and one or two broken links. But nothing that shows what the plan is.

Bill Badger

Is it possible to provide a more direct link to something that shows what the plans for Guildford actually are, and makes it clearer to what extent they are being proposed/supported by the relevant local authorities? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I've spent some time navigating around the guildfordvisiongroup site, as well as Guildford Borough Council's website, and all I can find are comments about some 'town centre master plan', and one or two broken links. But nothing that shows what the plan is.

Formal public consultation is due to start on Friday I believe, so it should be on the Guildford BC Website then.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Now available on the Council Website.

http://www.guildford.gov.uk/tcmp

ASharpe

I'm glad to see that they are plans more housing - that's the main reason I decided I had to leave Guildford after 7 years. Just a shame it will be flats(apartments) on the flood plain.

Does anyone have a link to the plans for the gyratory - I can't seem to find anything official and up to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.