• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gullible people (pt 2786:The RED ARROWS Olympic 'ban')

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snapper

Established Member
Some of you may have been getting your inbox clogged with the 'Red Arrows banned from Olympics' fantasy. Another of those made-up, troublemaking stories which the Olympics seems to have generated recently.

It seems the BNP have found it's a great way of stirring up trouble by starting fake petitions on scaremongering stories (like the 'Olympic Super Mosque' one they started the other month).

So, here's the true story - from the Red Arrows very own website:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/reds/teamnews/index.cfm?storyid=66845B01-1143-EC82-2E376B2F89D95041

Maybe now we can gradually kill this one.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave A

Hahaha. Smelt this one a mile off when I first saw it, but the BBC didn't... ;) :lol:

*Goes off to find article*

Hmm, seems they have taken it off. I'm sure I saw it on the Beeb website. Anyone else? :?

Snapper

Established Member
I'm amazed (and worried) that there are so many gullible people out there who fall for these things, and don't once stop to think 'hang on a minute'...

That's why I think it's important that these things are stopped before they are allowed to do any damage (the way the Mosque story did, by creating divisions amongst people)

Mintona

Established Member
There was a whole page spread in the Daily Mail I believed it, I trust what a national newspaper writes...

Mind you, if someone says "Look, someone wrote gullible on the ceiling!" I still tend to look :p

Snapper

Established Member
There was a whole page spread in the Daily Mail I believed it, I trust what a national newspaper writes...

Mind you, if someone says "Look, someone wrote gullible on the ceiling!" I still tend to look :p

It would be in the Daily Mail because it's the sort of thing that the DM desperately wants to believe is true as it reinforces the Editors belief that the country really works the way he fears it does.

Mind you, the DM also seems to believe any old rubbish - especially if it's a health story. They do seem to fall for all the latest loony health fads.

Bighat

Guide to British newspapers:-

THE TIMES is read by people who run the country

THE DAILY TELEGRAPH is read by people who THINK they run the country

THE INDEPENDENT is read by people who think THEY should run the country

THE GUARDIAN is read by people who still think Manchester is the capital of the country

THE DAILY EXPRESS is read by people who couldn't run a pi$$ up in a brewery, let alone the country

THE DAILY MAIL is read by the wives of people who run the country

THE DAILY MIRROR is read by people who think Russia should run the country

THE SUN is read by people who don't give a fcuk who runs the country, so long as the lass on page 3 is extremely fit with big boobs

Tom B

Established Member
Daily Express? Didn't you mean Diana Express?

Dave A

I'm a mix of THE INDEPENDENT and THE SUN. I think I should run the country, so I can put as lass with big boobs on page 3 of every paper... :lol: ;) :mrgreen:

Mintona

Established Member
It would be in the Daily Mail because it's the sort of thing that the DM desperately wants to believe is true as it reinforces the Editors belief that the country really works the way he fears it does.

Mind you, the DM also seems to believe any old rubbish - especially if it's a health story. They do seem to fall for all the latest loony health fads.

Yeah, I know quite a lot of stuff in the Daily Mail is rubbish, but I still feel as though I should trust them. I don't quite know why.

Snapper

Established Member
Yeah, I know quite a lot of stuff in the Daily Mail is rubbish, but I still feel as though I should trust them. I don't quite know why.

You have my sympathy. I don't know if you ever get chance to read other newspapers too, but if you do you may gradually come to realise why the Daily Mail is so bad.

Basically, It's a tabloid with pretensions of being a serious newspaper. It also has a history of supporting the (sometimes far) right wing. The Rothermere family were sympathetic to Hitler and Oswald Mosley's Blackshirts.

One of my main annoyances with it (apart from its political bias) is that its articles try and tell people what to think rather than try and present a balanced argument. So it's more of a political polemic than 'real' journalism.

It's also staffed by lots of the daughters of the upper classes who are all called Caroline and wear Alice bands, blue jumpers and tweed skirts, whose only experience of being outside of the Home Counties is going up to Scotland to daddies estate during the shooting season ( - and I'm only half-joking here...)

David

Established Member
Snapper, get off the fence and tell people what you really think ;) :lol:

I read the Daily Mail, but ignore stories about politics, as I know they will be full of bulls.... (same as every other paper really).

Mintona

Established Member
You have my sympathy. I don't know if you ever get chance to read other newspapers too, but if you do you may gradually come to realise why the Daily Mail is so bad.

Basically, It's a tabloid with pretensions of being a serious newspaper. It also has a history of supporting the (sometimes far) right wing. The Rothermere family were sympathetic to Hitler and Oswald Mosley's Blackshirts.

One of my main annoyances with it (apart from its political bias) is that its articles try and tell people what to think rather than try and present a balanced argument. So it's more of a political polemic than 'real' journalism.

It's also staffed by lots of the daughters of the upper classes who are all called Caroline and wear Alice bands, blue jumpers and tweed skirts, whose only experience of being outside of the Home Counties is going up to Scotland to daddies estate during the shooting season ( - and I'm only half-joking here...)

I know what you mean. They do try to "force-feed" you the stories, rather than let you think for yourself. But as it's the newspaper my mother reads, and I don't ever remember to buy one of my own, it is the only paper I read (apart from The Sun at work - but that isn't really so much about the world)

I read the Daily Mail, but ignore stories about politics, as I know they will be full of bulls.... (same as every other paper really).

I know what you mean, I don't tend to bother reading the Political stories either, but some of the stuff in there is quite interesting.

Tom B

Established Member
One phrase that I think is inextrocably linked to the Daily Wail has to be

"Political correctness gone mad!"

Every time they run a story about Health & Safety stopping Betty and Doris picking up their lifeline pension at the post office, you know, where they'll have a picture of Betty and Doris with their zimmer frames and envelopes outside the post office... you can just tell that somewhere in the article somebody will say "It's political correctness gone mad!".

I'm waiting for the day when they manage somehow to link house prices, "fears" over the MMR vaccine and political correctness gone mad. Any takers?

TheSlash

Established Member
I know two people suspended for Racism - called someone a scummer
I know a woman who claimed sexiest abuse because the boss in the office wouldn't have the window open
When i hear the Red Arrows are too British, excuse me if i believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.