• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GW 769s to Scotrail?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deepgreen

Established Member
First thought would be component recovery for 318 / 320 but the wrong ownership for that as 769 are Porterbrook, 318 and 320 are Eversholt, so that can probably be discounted as a theory.
Oh, what wonderful flexibility and efficiency privatisation brought...!

Stop gap involves training staff for short term use. That doesn't sound cheap to do.

Are the 769s better than 156s? There would no doubt be a period when the 769s lead to an unreliable service.
GWR couldn't get them into service after years, so very doubtful if anyone else would even try.

On Moderation
There's probably rather less in common that you might think. 320/321 being bog standard 25kV AC units with Brush electrical equipment and thyristor control, whereas Class 319 has GEC traction systems using GTO choppers.

fgwrich

Established Member

GWR couldn't get them into service after years, so very doubtful if anyone else would even try.
GWR could have and nearly did as @Clarence Yard has said previously (At least 6 units if I recall were ready to go) but the DfT pulled the rug out from under everyone's feet citing post covid costs. So, no doubt Brodies (now partly owned by Porterbrook) will have picked form those 6 and with both Brodies & Porterbrooks combined engineering expertise, might actually be able to make them work reliably and successfully.

Senna1210

The units are in good order and it would be a sin for them not to see operation in more than one form or another going forward.

Energy

Established Member
GWR could have and nearly did as @Clarence Yard has said previously (At least 6 units if I recall were ready to go) but the DfT pulled the rug out from under everyone's feet citing post covid costs.
The DfT received the same amount of money from the Treasury but had a real term cut due to the high inflation from the Liz Truss mini-budget. Operators were told they would need to cut costs, for GWR cutting the 769s (or not extending the lease) is an obvious choice.

To be fair to the DfT, they don't decide how much money they get.

After shuttling between kilmarnock and barassie over the past few weeks. The 769s appear to going even further this week with a trips on the ayrshire coast this evening before returning to kilmarnock tonight via Glasgow central and barrhead

RJMC

My son wanted to go and see it for his YouTube channel so we managed to catch it going through Lochwinnoch, I have to say it’s definitely not Scotrail blue, it’s slightly darker. Not sure if I’m allowed to post a link to the video here or not

Anonymous10

Established Member
My son wanted to go and see it for his YouTube channel so we managed to catch it going through Lochwinnoch, I have to say it’s definitely not Scotrail blue, it’s slightly darker. Not sure if I’m allowed to post a link to the video here or not
The forum certainly wouldn't have an issue from what I've seen in other threads.

collosus

Please let me know the channel name

ToddMeister

If it's in the location I suspect it's in, it's very close to the running line and signal stops adjacent to the place are fairly common, so he'd likely have plenty of opportunity?
Brodies is directly next to the running line at Kilmarnock. Units are easily viewable when arriving and departing station either from Glasgow direction or the Barassie branch line.