• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWML / Elizabeth line disruption due to OLE down near Paddington

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acton1991

Sat just west of Paddington right now with no overhead power according to the driver!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkRailFan

On Moderation

Samzino

Sat just west of Paddington right now with no overhead power according to the driver!
Yeh Paddington main terminus is pretty much ghost town train wise as the cables have come down between pad and Hayes. Elizabeth line thru the cos has majority of its services disrupted by over 20mins. I assume they'll clear what they can in the cos to start running some shuttle services to and from pad lower level and liverpool Street High level - shenfield / Abbey wood. I can imagine however driver displacement will start wreaking havoc next as many drivers and units are stuck in the wrong places now.

Samzino

Looks like another poor day for the GWML with overhead lines coming down between Paddington and Hayes & Harlington, wreaking havoc on the evening rush-hour peak.

Screenshot_20231207_191920_Brave.jpg

Screenshot_20231207_192043_Brave.jpg

Acton1991

Still stuck! Passengers trying to open the doors to get out, driver doing a good job but has no information to give us all. Lighting has dimmed right down due to no power. Think we will be in for a long night waiting here… with no toilets!

Further update: sat in total darkness now as the train battery has gone. Driver can’t make announcements.

Last edited:

Melancholia

wreaking havoc on the evening rush-hour peak.
What evening rush hour peak? GWR has an ASLEF strike today.

1C28 struck debris on the OHLE on the Down Main, causing a dewirement, with overhead lines hanging aside the train.

Samzino

Shuttle services have started between Pad and ABW in the cos. Its mainly hampered by some single line working due to a few remaining trains laying around that will be cleared. Most of the other units are tucked Into Plunstead Sidings.

Have to say it doesn't look so good. 9R14 which is just outside Paddington low level at Westbourne Park hasn't been able to move yet which I assume still has passengers on.

Can feel for the drivers and members of staff that are tying to deal with the situation, some as the poster above says in cases of complete blackout due to the overhead situation.

Jamiescott1

1C28 struck debris on the OHLE on the Down Main, causing a dewirement, with overhead lines hanging aside the train.

I left Paddington early today as had to take my bike on EL so had to avoid peak. Train was lightly loaded. I know there waa a few gwr services to Oxford etc.

Looking at live departures from Paddington it looks like all east bound services from low level are cancelled too on central core Why is this?

Samzino

Elizabeth line would still have had a peak

I left Paddington early today as had to take my bike on EL so had to avoid peak. Train was lightly loaded. I know there waa a few gwr services to Oxford etc.

Looking at live departures from Paddington it looks like all east bound services from low level are cancelled too on central core Why is this?
They're trying to run some shuttles between. Abbey and Pad low level. Liverpool high level and Shenfield should also have some services. No clue if they'll run Pad low level to Shenfield.

Plumstead depot has had 5 units sent back into it to clear up most of the line but there are still a few trains on the westbound lying around so the cos shuttles are working somewhat thru single line working till those units are found somewhere to go.

I assume that Old oak common depot isn't in reach for the remaining units in the COS that are at this moment surplus so plans will be hownto move those.

Waterloo is also very packed due to the strikes already but now being the main way to get to reading and further at this current time.

Last edited:

Gaelan

Looks like no EL trains running in the core or west of Paddington. Shenfield trains running out of Liverpool Street mainline

Gaelan

These screens simply cannot distinguish delays from outside of the central section; as soon as they reach Westbourne Park and Stratford they somewhat correct. If a train is running very very late though, it will continue to think it is coming imminently.
Why don't they just drive them from Darwin like the rest of the network does?

londonboi198o5

On Moderation
Shuttle services have started between Pad and ABW in the cos. Its mainly hampered by some single line working due to a few remaining trains laying around that will be cleared. Most of the other units are tucked Into Plunstead Sidings.

Have to say it doesn't look so good. 9R14 which is just outside Paddington low level at Westbourne Park hasn't been able to move yet which I assume still has passengers on.

Can feel for the drivers and members of staff that are tying to deal with the situation, some as the poster above says in cases of complete blackout due to the overhead situation.
Single line working is not taking place in the core so dont know where you are getting that information from. They will work trains into tunnels empty to allow trains into platforms to allow passengers to get off. Single line working cant just be implimented that quickly it is a lengthly process to set up and have running.

Samzino

Fire brigade has started evacuating passengers from some of the stranded trains, some have already had passengers egress due to various needs including toilet reasons.

Post below seems to confirm
Elizabeth Line / GWML Stranded

jetblast787

Looking on Trackernet nothing is moving between Reading and Abbey Wood. Paddington appears to be completely devoid of trains; very surreal for this time of day

Established Member

Several stranded trains, some with 900+ customers on.

1C28 reportedly 900+, there is 3 EL services, at least 2 are reporting 1000+ plus onboard.

Established Member
1C28 has collided with damaged OHL, cab windscreen smashed and wires wrapped around train.
OHL is turned off, hence EL routed in Liverpool Street high level.
Multiple stranded trains west of Paddington to deal with.

londonboi198o5

On Moderation
Yeh Paddington main terminus is pretty much ghost town train wise as the cables have come down between pad and Hayes. Elizabeth line thru the cos has majority of its services disrupted by over 20mins. I assume they'll clear what they can in the cos to start running some shuttle services to and from pad lower level and liverpool Street High level - shenfield / Abbey wood. I can imagine however driver displacement will start wreaking havoc next as many drivers and units are stuck in the wrong places now.
the wires have come down just outside paddington near acton mainline which is no where near hayes.

Boilinthebag

Last two services west were cancelled and the Elizabeth line was shut shortly after which I'm sure has stranded a fair few people as the concourse was very busy at the time. Announcement said it was due to an obstruction on the line. Photo taken just before announcement with all barriers closed.IMG_20231207_191356.jpg

Samzino

This post also sums up the grave difficulty drivers of stranded trains are having aswell as all the staff going thru this mess today.

Apparently a driver has had to have a rule that people can use the toilet(the track) but only thru the cab as to avoid passengers egressing themselves along the train.

Pretty crazy but that's the decisions railway staff have to make in split seconds to ensure safety but ease passengers thru what is understandably a difficult situation.

Elizabeth line toilet thru cab

People self egressing, such scenes remind me of the Lewisham incident a few years back on southeastern

Self egressing Elizabeth Line

Last edited:

Samzino

The line is now in evacuation confirmed by blocks on signal maps
1701987456797.png

The situation will undoubtedly leave many units and drivers far past overtime and as a result when its sorted will affect the morning peak very harshly tomorrow.

Once again a big thanks and well wishing to those on the frontline dealing with the situation.

Route115?

How easy is it to isolate sections of track when this happens? If the problem is at Acton Mail line I would have thought that a shuttle could run to & from Ealing Broadway but I presume that the whole area has had to be electrically isolated.

Route(s) affected​

All routes to / from London Paddington

Description​

Damage to the overhead electric wires between London Paddington and Acton Main Line means that all lines are blocked. Trains running to / from London Paddington may be cancelled, delayed by up to 90 minutes or revised.

Major disruption is expected until 09:00 tomorrow, Friday 8 December.

Customer advice:

Elizabeth line

Trains are not calling at stations between London Paddington and Heathrow / Reading.

Services towards Shenfield will all start at London Liverpool Street.

A shuttle service is being planned between Abbey Wood and Tottenham Court Road however this will be significantly reduced.

You may use your ticket on the following services to complete your journey:

• London Buses between London Paddington and Heathrow Terminals / Reading
  • London Underground via any reasonable route
  • Thameslink between Abbey Wood and Farringdon
  • Southeastern between Abbey Wood and London Terminals
  • Docklands Light Railway via any reasonable route
  • South Western Railway between London Waterloo and Reading
  • Chiltern Railways via any reasonable route
A rail replacement bus service will run approximately every 15 minutes between Ealing Broadway and Slough. These buses will start from 22:30 and run until 01:00. Please note these buses will not serve Langley or Iver.

Passengers west of West Drayton can also book a taxi and reclaim the fare at a later date via the TfL Website.

Great Western Railway

You will be able to use your ticket (including advance tickets) on Great Western Railway services up to and including Saturday 9 December.

If you do choose to travel today, you may use your ticket on the following alternative travel routes:

• Chiltern Railways between London Marylebone and Oxford
  • South Western Railway between London Waterloo and Reading
  • London Underground between London Paddington and London Marylebone / London Waterloo

Last edited:

On Moderation
You might ask why there doesn't appear to be any sign of GWR's 57312 being mobilised to help rescue stranded trains... I thought the ability to use its Dellner coupler in these situations was one of the reasons for leasing it in the first place?

Samzino

You might ask why there doesn't appear to be any sign of GWR's 57312 being mobilised to help rescue stranded trains... I thought the ability to use its Dellner coupler in these situations was one of the reasons for leasing it in the first place?
Can they bring it out with passengers egressing around the area? Id assume it won't come out till much later, early morning of the 8th?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
How do the electrical sections function in the area? It seems to me astounding that a problem at Ladbroke Grove can lead to all the OLE between there and Airport Junction being without power.

Samzino

How do the electrical sections function in the area? It seems to me astounding that a problem at Ladbroke Grove can lead to all the OLE between there and Airport Junction being without power.
I was told it brought down a gantry so I'd assume the integrity of the whole span structure was compromised but without photo evidence I can only go with the effect its had on the whole line.

Sleepy

Established Member
1C28 appears to have the route set back into Paddington platform 3. This is the train which hit OLE travelling at reduced speed.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Driver availability on a strike day?

Status
Not open for further replies.