• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR 150 celebrations

Helvellyn

Established Member
In 1985, to celebrate the 150th Anniversary of the Great Western Railway, BR held a number of events and namings. There were also some repaints. Some seemed logical and others random. I'm hoping people might be able to piece together what was done.

Repaints
Four Class 47s were repainted in what was termed GWR Brunswick Green. They gained cast brass numberplates and nameplates.
  • 47079 G J CHURCHWARD
  • 47484 ISAMBARD KINGDOM BRUNEL
  • 47500 GREAT WESTERN
  • 47628 SIR DANIEL GOOCH
All made sense as the three named after important people in GWR history were from the batch of 1960s WR named 47s whilst 47500 is kind of obvious!

The less obvious choice for a repaint was a Class 50! 50007 not only gained cast brass numberplates and nameplates but lost its warship name, Hercules, in favour of honouring the composer SIR EDWARD ELGAR. Does anyone know not only why a 50 was repainted green but was renamed? If the WR wanted to do a fifth loco surely they could have picked one of the other original 1960s named locos such as 47625 CITY OF TRURO or 47508 Great Britain (named after Brunel's ship). If it was part of the celebrations to honour Elgar why not repaint and name an unadorned Class 47, of which there plenty?

What other locos were named specifically as part of the celebrayions? I believe 47609 FIRE FLY and 47620 Windsor Castle were two.

The repainting of a Bristol based Class 117 three-car DMU into Chocolate and Cream was well known because the set kept those colours after transfer to Tyseley, and even kept them after at least one works visit. But I think a Class 121 bubble car was also repainted - I assume it gained NSE colours in the late 1980s?

There was also a Mark 1 set that was repainted for specials in 1985 but it didn't last much after that. Was it for particular services, or general use?

Finally is anyone aware of things planned that never happened?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brissle Girl

Established Member
The celebrations included a regular steam service from Gloucester to Swindon for a short period, twice a day IIRC. Living very close to the line it was great to pop down and see them (and of course travel on them a few times).

John Luxton

Established Member
I seem to recall GWR 150 was somewhat marred by the announcement that Swindon Works was to close the following year.

Pigeon

50007 was Elgarised and repainted in 1984, two days after the 50th anniversary of his death. The previous GW Elgar had been a Castle, 7005, so maybe someone thought the number looked nice.

None of the other vehicles were done until 1985. None of the 47s were renamed; they all had those names already.

I vaguely remember something about 50007 being in some part an experiment to see whether the livery would look good on a modern diesel or just silly, before using it on the 47s for the celebrations. Everyone just lumps it in under "done for GW150" but I don't think that's as straightforwardly true as it is for the 47s; it's more like "done for Elgar but partly in rehearsal for GW150" or something like that.

I used that Class 117 several times in the regular way. The unique livery made it very obvious just how long it took the paint BR used to cease to honk.

I also went on one of the steam specials which conked out half way up Dainton bank, which was a really heavy bummer.

Russel

I seem to recall seeing a GWR 150 enamel sign at Birmingham Snow Hill a couple of years ago, on a wall just after the ticket barriers as you're leaving the station towards Colmore Row.

Been a couple of years since I was last at Snow Hill, so not sure if it's still there.

Harvester

Established Member
I can remember 47500 being named with red ‘Great Western’ plates on 1st March 1979 at Paddington before being used on a BR Special along with King 6000. The event was to celebrate the 125th anniversary of Paddington station. So it received replacement ‘GREAT WESTERN’ brass plates after acquiring Brunswick Green livery in 1985!

GWR 150? Hello? That's me!

How many were repainted for the occasion? It was a nice livery!

stuu

Established Member
There was an exhibition train which toured the ex GWR network, we saw it at Aberystwyth. Can't remember anything much about it as I was 9, but Google confirms it's existence

On Moderation
I seem to recall GWR 150 was somewhat marred by the announcement that Swindon Works was to close the following year.
There was an HST power car (43132) planned to be named “Swindon Enterprise” during the GWR150 celebrations, but it was cancelled after the works closure was announced.

Five other power cars did get names during the year as part of GWR150:
43026 City of Westminster
43027 Westminster Abbey
43125 Merchant Venturer
43126 City of Bristol
43131 Sir Felix Pole

BeijingDave

In 1985, to celebrate the 150th Anniversary of the Great Western Railway, BR held a number of events and namings. There were also some repaints. Some seemed logical and others random. I'm hoping people might be able to piece together what was done.

Repaints
Four Class 47s were repainted in what was termed GWR Brunswick Green. They gained cast brass numberplates and nameplates.
  • 47079 G J CHURCHWARD
  • 47500 GREAT WESTERN
  • 47628 SIR DANIEL GOOCH
All made sense as the three named after important people in GWR history were from the batch of 1960s WR named 47s whilst 47500 is kind of obvious!

The less obvious choice for a repaint was a Class 50! 50007 not only gained cast brass numberplates and nameplates but lost its warship name, Hercules, in favour of honouring the composer SIR EDWARD ELGAR. Does anyone know not only why a 50 was repainted green but was renamed? If the WR wanted to do a fifth loco surely they could have picked one of the other original 1960s named locos such as 47625 CITY OF TRURO or 47508 Great Britain (named after Brunel's ship). If it was part of the celebrations to honour Elgar why not repaint and name an unadorned Class 47, of which there plenty?

What other locos were named specifically as part of the celebrayions? I believe 47609 FIRE FLY and 47620 Windsor Castle were two.

The repainting of a Bristol based Class 117 three-car DMU into Chocolate and Cream was well known because the set kept those colours after transfer to Tyseley, and even kept them after at least one works visit. But I think a Class 121 bubble car was also repainted - I assume it gained NSE colours in the late 1980s?

There was also a Mark 1 set that was repainted for specials in 1985 but it didn't last much after that. Was it for particular services, or general use?

Fire Fly was named as part of an episode of Jim'll Fix It as I recall. Don't remember it being anything to do with GW celebrations.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Certainly remember being shocked by that announcement (or its timing) at the time.

Wasn't there due to be an open day / event at the works or something like that as part of GWR 150 that of course then did not happen? - unless I am imagining that.

There was certainly a varied programme of events that I seem to recall being listed in both railway magazines and BR leaflets, as mentioned in this thread.

Edit:

This is interesting - artwork for the proposed but not staged Swindon Works exhibition poster (in NRM collection) - this must have been the major thing planned that did not happen as surely it would have been the centre piece of the celebrations I'd have thought.

Painting, oil on canvas, GWR 150, by Peter Owen Jones 1985. Depicts an artist's impression of the exhibition at British Rail's Swindon Works, proposed to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Great Western Railway. It shows the interior of the works, with a Western Class 52 diesel hydraulic locomotive, the prototype Inter City 125 High Speed Train power car, Great Western Railway steam locomotives and carriages. Visitors are walking around the exhibition, or are paused in groups. At bottom right is a showcase with a model locomotive. Signed and dated by the artist at bottom right. Original artwork for a poster advertising the exhibition, which was never staged because of the announcement of the impending closure of the works. Framed and glazed.

I did a quick search for 'GWR 150 BR leaflets' and got various results - but this looks like 2 different leaflets of the official BR programme / diary of events (£1 to buy now!) which has a lot of entries on it if you can blow it up large enough to read! Seeing it now I recall the leaflets from the time. A decent scan of these would help answer @Helvellyn 's post with a bit of detail

This also includes a section headed Steam Excursions and also Swindon Exhibition

Or this - now sold - a set of 9 leaflets of events - including events in key locations eg Bristol, South West, Swindon - towards bottom of the linked page

and other leaflets for specific things on sale

Reading Depot Open Day 1 June 1985

Souvenir Platform Ticket (Tysley)

Not sure how long these e-bay links will work for but at least thread viewrs can look over them now.

Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
As a mid-teen in 1985, I recall the 117 and the 121 painted in choc & cream - I travelled on the 117 from Exmouth to Exeter. On the same route, I rode the 118 adorned in all-over yellow, emblazoned "It's BT on the line ... Making connections".

I also visited the Reading event, mentioned above. I recall us taking a 210 DMU shuttle to Reading from Paddington.

I am trying to recall if my family's visit to Swindon Works was 1985 or 1984. I photographed Warship D818 "Glory", plus the MetroVick D5705 (DS 15705) at the Works that day.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Another one that doesn’t always get mentioned was Tyseley shunter 08604 that was painted into BR green around then but with ‘604’ each side of the cab on GWR style plates.

Sid Edwards

Repaints
  • 47079 G J CHURCHWARD
  • 47500 GREAT WESTERN
  • 47628 SIR DANIEL GOOCH

47628 Sir Daniel Gooch worked a charter train from Worcester Shrub Hill to Ravenglass and return on Saturday 3rd May 1985, sadly without the chocolate and cream Mk1 coaches for the naming of the diesel locomotive "Perkins" on the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway.

This locomotive was originally built in 1929 and is still in regular service heading for it's centenary.

The Tyseley based chocolate and cream 117 unit was utilised together with a Norwich Crown Point Craven's unit in BR green working a five car shuttle service of three round trips from Stafford to Stourbridge Junction on the annual BR Midline gala either in 1985 or 1986. The trains were routed via the Cannock Chase line which in those days was normally freight only.

On one occasion alighting from the chocolate and cream 117 on a late running scheduled working I was greeted by a Shrewsbury based guard who had started his career on the LMS and he pointed out that the train must have been running late as it was being worked by a GWR train.

Needless to say he was only cracking a joke but was well known to regular passengers in the area for his humour and pleasant manner.

Beebman

I've managed to find my copy of the official commemorative brochure which includes a list of events planned at the time of publication. I've attached some photos which I hope are of interest.

Attachments

• IMG_0847.jpeg
    IMG_0847.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0849.jpeg
    IMG_0849.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0850.jpeg
    IMG_0850.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0851.jpeg
    IMG_0851.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 42

WesternLancer

Established Member
I've managed to find my copy of the official commemorative brochure which includes a list of events planned at the time of publication. I've attached some photos which I hope are of interest.
Nice work! Thanks for uploading

Glendon

Weren’t there steam shuttles down the Portishead line?

Yes I saw it on the 20/0//1985 (might have run on other days tho ')Started from Temple Meads. It wasn't a GWR loco ,but LMS Ivat class 2 46443,on loan from the SVR. Photo' attached nearing Portishead.

Attachments

• M-46443 gw150.jpg
    M-46443 gw150.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 40

Western 52

There were open days on 6 July 1985 at Cardiff Canton and Cathays depots. Nice weather and plenty of exhibits. Good memories! Evening Star gave rides at Canton.

The GWR 150 exhibition train was in platform 4 at Barry Island on 20th July 1985.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Another one that doesn’t always get mentioned was Tyseley shunter 08604 that was painted into BR green around then but with ‘604’ each side of the cab on GWR style plates.
That's at Didcot Railway Centre now, isn't it?
A similar time, 08601 was turned out in LMS black.
My local "Gronk" was 08011 "Haversham", often seen at Bletchley; then, after a paint into BR green as D3018, at Aylesbury.

On Moderation
Wasn't there due to be an open day / event at the works or something like that as part of GWR 150 that of course then did not happen? - unless I am imagining that.
You are correct. There was planned to be an open day, but it was cancelled after the closure announcement. There was going to be a double power car naming of 43131/132 (see above) at the event. 43132's naming was cancelled completely while 43131 had its naming re-arranged... which was cancelled again due to a strike on the day it was due to take place. It never actually had a formal naming ceremony but carried the plates and even got swallow-type replacements that it carried until removed in 2007.

DidcotDickie

The celebrations included a regular steam service from Gloucester to Swindon for a short period, twice a day IIRC. Living very close to the line it was great to pop down and see them (and of course travel on them a few times).
Indeed! Lived in Stroud at the time spent an enjoyable week (or was it two?) photographing and riding on the steam services. Had runs behind Drysllwyn Castle, Clun Castle, Burton Agnes Hall, Hinton Manor, KGV and BR Standard Class 4 76069. Was a great occasion marred as others have said by the announcement of the closure of Swindon Works.

DelW

Established Member
My father was an enthusiast for all things Great Western, and bought a souvenir tea-towel. When I inherited it, it hadn't apparently ever been used, and I have it hanging on my bedroom wall as a decoration and memento. (At least I think that's when it dates from!)

20240112_170342.jpg

Mike Machin

I remember one of the chocolate and cream MK1 BSKs found its way into the middle of one of the five-coach sets used on the Cardiff-Portsmouth route. It spent several weeks flanked by a couple of blue and grey MK1s on either side, running along this route in everyday service during the Autumn of 1985.

Irascible

Established Member

Yes I saw it on the 20/0//1985 (might have run on other days tho ')Started from Temple Meads. It wasn't a GWR loco ,but LMS Ivat class 2 46443,on loan from the SVR. Photo' attached nearing Portishead.

There was a BR black Manor on it at least one day, I remember seeing it & apparently memory wasn't playing up - https://www.philt.org.uk/PreservationScene/GWR/i-NHvBqf9 . How ironic :p. There was a service to the docks too ( link subsequently removed ), I don't remember what ran that. The Portishead trains didn't quite make it to Portishead itself as the station wasn't there anymore.

The choc& cream DMU made it down to Exeter at some point.

Western 52

The chocolate and cream DMU was seen over a lot of the region. It certainly appeared in west Wales. I think it was a class 117 allocated to Bristol Bath Road?

Taunton

Established Member
The chocolate and cream DMU was seen over a lot of the region. It certainly appeared in west Wales. I think it was a class 117 allocated to Bristol Bath Road?
This GWR-livery diesel set lasted for a long time, it was still in those colours in 1995, 10 years after the event, so likely had a full repaint during that time. Presumably nobody could be brave enough to paint over it! It was also passed around various depots, it ran from Tyseley for a long while, and at the end was in Cornwall on the St Ives shuttle.

Regarding the diesel loco names, they were generally reincarnations of names previously given to various Castle locos, as well as their overall significance.

rf_ioliver

I have that brochure somewhere too - probably at parents' house in a box. Next time I'm there...

I remember being taken down to Cardiff Central with my dad and visiting the exhibition trains which was parked on the old riverside platforms - probably the only time I was ever on those platforms. I remember it being clearly explained how diesel locomotives work by one of the staff.