• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR 1st Class - any catering?

trainophile

Established Member
I’m booked on the ex-Cardiff Penzance train tomorrow, boarding at Newton Abbot at 11:50, and returning on the 17:50. Although I have 1st Class Advance tickets both ways, with the prices I paid I’m not optimistic about any refreshments.

Is there likely to be anything on offer? Cup of tea? Bottle of water? Will stock up before boarding if not.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ajs

GWR website states,

No First Class catering is offered on the following routes: Penzance – Cardiff/Gloucester, Paddington – Newbury/Bedwyn, or Paddington – Oxford, Reading – Gatwick.

Presumably there is no trolley service in standard class either.

Edited to quote from GWR site

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I don't think there's any catering service on these workings now, though there were trolleys not long ago I believe.

trainophile

Established Member
I’ve just realised that my return ticket on the 17:50 from PNZ is a Paddington train! Not sure if that changes anything regarding refreshments? If I’m reading the above quote from the website correctly there might be a trolley of some sort.

It’s not a big deal either way, but would be nice to know so I don’t cart unnecessary weight around for the couple of hours I’m there.

aar0

GWR website states,

No First Class catering is offered on the following routes: Penzance – Cardiff/Gloucester, Paddington – Newbury/Bedwyn, or Paddington – Oxford, Reading – Gatwick.

Ah - This would explain why the starting price for an upgrade on Seatfrog is £7, even for an early morning train!

ajs

I’ve just realised that my return ticket on the 17:50 from PNZ is a Paddington train! Not sure if that changes anything regarding refreshments? If I’m reading the above quote from the website correctly there might be a trolley of some sort.

It’s not a big deal either way, but would be nice to know so I don’t cart unnecessary weight around for the couple of hours I’m there.

GWR website states

*We aim to offer a complimentary First Class at-seat trolley on high-speed services starting their journey 06:00-19:30 during the week, but this is not guaranteed.

I don’t know but it maybe that the refreshment trolley is not loaded until Plymouth or later in the journey.

There must be shops near to Penzance Station where you could stock up with supplies for the return journey.

Been quite a few years since l have been to Penzance but do remember a large number of Pasty shops!

Enjoy your trip.

trainophile

Established Member
Someone in this coach complaining to the TM about the lack of refreshments. Most apologetic, says there’s absolutely nothing in the kitchen and asking them to complain on social media as it’s the only thing they will take notice of!

trainophile

Established Member
Just to wrap this up, my return trip on the 17:50 Paddington train ex-Penzance was fantastic. I was offered drinks and snacks about six times, only accepting the first time a very welcome cup of tea, some orange juice and a delicious pastry. I could have had all sorts of things but I know my limits. The two stewards (swapped at Plymouth) were lovely, so friendly.

Also for a major part of the journey I had coach K to myself! Unless it got busy after I got off at Newton Abbot I can’t see it being a viable 1st Class service in future. Hope I’m wrong. It doesn’t reach Paddington until a minute before midnight so it’s probably not attractive to most people.

aar0

Not sure if this is worthy of a new thread: does anyone know what time GWR start first class refreshments? Or are they all day long with no start or finish time?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Not sure if this is worthy of a new thread: does anyone know what time GWR start first class refreshments? Or are they all day long with no start or finish time?
0600-1930 weekdays, as stated in post #7

aar0

Ah, good reading by me.

Are weekend offerings (I have had them previously) a bonus then? I’m on a pre 6am train on a Saturday in a few weeks time

ajs

The website makes no mention of any weekend offerings so assume none.

Merthyr Imp

My sole experience of Sunday first class travel was on 21st April on the 1120 from Cardiff to Paddington. On that particular service at any rate it was the usual service of drinks, crisps and biscuits - the only exception to weekday offerings was there was no fruit cake.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
The website makes no mention of any weekend offerings so assume none.
When I did an ALR last year I was surprised to be offered refreshments on my weekend journeys, one being a Saturday evening Paddington - Reading, and then the following morning Reading - Wetsbury.

sh24

The weekend offering is a snack box with crackers, hummus and some other bits and pieces plus drinks. It's offered as the norm despite not being mentioned on the website.

jayah

On Moderation
GWR website states,

It is maddeningly inconsistent. You can travel Penzance to Exeter £30 day return in Standard, First Class for £125 and not see a catering trolley for 6hrs.

Travel half an hour later on exactly the same type of train, going to a different destination, and there will be an at seat trolley service in First and sometimes even Pullman dining available to First and Standard Class passengers.

aar0

Ah, good reading by me.

Are weekend offerings (I have had them previously) a bonus then? I’m on a pre 6am train on a Saturday in a few weeks time
I’m on the 0552 GWR Swansea - London, first class host on departure who offered a coffee about 25 minutes in, second member of staff joined at Cardiff and shortly after brought round a second coffee and the GWR weekend snack box.

irish_rail

On Moderation
Recently travelling from London to Plymouth in standard. Trolley turned up after Totnes.....bring back the buffet!

aar0

Recently travelling from London to Plymouth in standard. Trolley turned up after Totnes.....bring back the buffet!
I recently travelled with 3 others from London to Swansea, all after a drink, not only did the trolley not arrive until Bridgend, twice we went to find it and both of us were told we had to wait until it reached us!

irish_rail

On Moderation
I recently travelled with 3 others from London to Swansea, all after a drink, not only did the trolley not arrive until Bridgend, twice we went to find it and both of us were told we had to wait until it reached us!
Yes the trouble is they cannot sell you hot drinks as its a health and safety issue walking down the train with them! Not quite sure how TOCs with buffets get around this! Most intercity TOCs have buffets (LNER, Avanti etc), if only GWR could too. Perhaps fitting the 9 cars with a buffet on would be handy, but seeing as the routes that need the buffet the most (Swansea and Penzance) are going to soon be all 5s and 10s that could be a problem. Fitting a buffet in a 5 car set seems less likely or practical, so unless there can be a rethink on where the 9 cars are going to go in future there is a problem. Also the small matter of getting funding for a project which I suspect, although useful to customers, wouldn't generate huge income.

sh24

In First they are normally pretty prompt at bringing the trolley though, and multiple passes on longer journeys.

irish_rail

On Moderation
In First they are normally pretty prompt at bringing the trolley though, and multiple passes on longer journeys.
Agreed. The hosts are very good, they are just completely hamstrung by the system when it comes to the standard class trolley. I only wish the issue was taken more seriously by the Dft as it seems to be the number one grumble I hear when travelling on GWR trains (often upsetting people more than delays!). But then 5 hours is a long time to go without a drink. If any TOC needs a buffet on its trains its GWR. Its just unfortunate that the more local stuff within an hour of London took priority when it came to decision making back at the procurement stage, whereas LNER and Avanti seemed to prioritise the longer distance passenger with the buffet.