• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR ASLEF strike services.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPI

Established Member
I see GWR are running a service between Exmouth and Paignton on the upcoming ASLEF strikes.

Albeit an incredibly limited service with around three services in the morning, nothing in the day, and three or four in the afternoon/evening.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

irish_rail

Established Member
I was under impression GWR managers weren't allowed to drive even in a strike, but stand to be corrected? And RMT drivers are being asked to walk out too, so that isn't it, so I'm confused!

RPI

Established Member
I was under impression GWR managers weren't allowed to drive even in a strike, but stand to be corrected? And RMT drivers are being asked to walk out too, so that isn't it, so I'm confused!
I'm not 100% but I think for the last few ASLEF strikes TSSA (which most Driver standards managers are in) were on a work to rule, so no contingency duties, there isn't at the moment a work to rule with TSSA so possibly that?

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Good to see that the intervening day (Thursday 2nd) will be largely unaffected:

Trains will run as planned with some minor changes to the very first and late-night services. Please check before you travel.
In previous strikes, Thursday services often haven't got going until 9.30 or so.

Established Member

A DM (or several), I suspect? Not sure how watertight the “DMs not to drive” agreements really are!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

GWR is one of the few TOCs that have run a limited service when their ASLEF members strike. Usually Paddington - Bristol, Reading - Basingstoke, and Reading to Oxford.

This time more services are running, including a few on the North Downs, and a shuttle from Penzance to St Ives for most of the day.

Even if they are ‘Not allowed’, what are the repercussions? ASLEF could go on strike I suppose…

Good to see that the intervening day (Thursday 2nd) will be largely unaffected:

In previous strikes, Thursday services often haven't got going until 9.30 or so.

Previous strikes have had an RMT strike the day before, which is what causes the late start up: the Network Rail signallers shift patterns mean that the signal boxes aren’t open until 0630/0700 the day after an RMT strike and therefore services start later.

Established Member
Even if they are ‘Not allowed’, what are the repercussions? ASLEF could go on strike I suppose…

Or stop doing overtime
Or stop helping out
Or “I won’t split that train, it isn’t on my diagram”
Or “I’m too tired/dehydrated/offended/upset to safely drive that train, do you still want me to do it?” (the ultimate catch all)

Etc.

We both know how they can be a royal pain in the backside if they need to/want to be. ;)

Facing Back

Or stop doing overtime
Or stop helping out
Or “I won’t split that train, it isn’t on my diagram”
Or “I’m too tired/dehydrated/offended/upset to safely drive that train, do you still want me to do it?” (the ultimate catch all)

Etc.

We both know how they can be a royal pain in the backside if they need to/want to be. ;)
Is being “Too offended to drive” really a thing?

Established Member
Is being “Too offended to drive” really a thing?

It depends what you say to me before I’m about to saddle up and head Northwards… If I dance back down the platform and disappear, and your train is cancelled, you’ll know you hit the spot* ;)

Joking aside, anything is potentially a “thing”, in terms of undertaking a safety critical activity such as driving a train. Nobody I know takes the mick, but you can see how things can be made more difficult, if the workforce is massively cheesed off.

*the only time in a few years where I’ve actually had to do this is was due to the way I as spoken to by a gate line colleague at my last operator. It isn’t done lightly…

Last edited:

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Also looks like some Bristol - Cardiff services are due to run, which is a first for an ASLEF strike day, and slightly exciting for me as it means I might be able to get to work! :D

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Also looks like some Bristol - Cardiff services are due to run, which is a first for an ASLEF strike day, and slightly exciting for me as it means I might be able to get to work! :D
It also means that there is a route - albeit extremely circuitous - allowing passengers from stations served by TfW to get to London, via Newport and Bristol. Manchester, Holyhead, Shrewsbury, Liverpool, Warrington etc. passengers otherwise have no way to get to London.

II

Not a clue, just thats the way it is. I don't make the rules I'm afraid.

Driver Managers at the eastern end of the network have been driving trains on each and every strike day so far.

The rule where they can't drive a train on their own is clearly null and void if there is a strike day. And rightly so IMHO.

II

There’s a ‘rule’ on normal service days that GWR managers can’t drive trains unless a regular driver is with them.

TurboMan

There’s a ‘rule’ on normal service days that GWR managers can’t drive trains unless a regular driver is with them.
The booked driver has to stay with the train, but they don't have to accompany the manager in the cab (which may be what you meant).

Last edited:

RPI

Established Member
Also St Ives to Penzance is running and some Gunnislake trains

Facing Back

I guess the "rule" is an agreement between GWR and ASLEF rather than anything coming from the authorities?

II

The booked driver has to stay with the train, but they don't have to accompany the manager in the cab (which may be what you meant).

I guess the "rule" is an agreement between GWR and ASLEF rather than anything coming from the authorities?
Yes and yes.

It’s basically to prevent managers driving trains to cover for when there’s no drivers, hence the ‘rule’.

On strike days there is obviously no driver to accompany the manager on the train, so the strike action must make the ‘rule’ null and void.

Removing that ‘rule’ is one of the things the DfT are very keen to see as part of the ASLEF drivers dispute resolution.

infobleep

Veteran Member
GWR is one of the few TOCs that have run a limited service when their ASLEF members strike. Usually Paddington - Bristol, Reading - Basingstoke, and Reading to Oxford.

This time more services are running, including a few on the North Downs, and a shuttle from Penzance to St Ives for most of the day.

Previous strikes have had an RMT strike the day before, which is what causes the late start up: the Network Rail signallers shift patterns mean that the signal boxes aren’t open until 0630/0700 the day after an RMT strike and therefore services start later.
I'm amazed they are running services to Redhill.

Shame it hasn't been possible to run any to Gatwick Airport as there is no other service from Redhill on the strike days.

I guess there are buses from Redhill to Gatwick Airport so it isn't as if it's entirely cut off and bues are the route people sometimes need to use during disruption.

Class800

Established Member
What about drivers who aren't in the union? Are there many? In my field of work, maybe union membership is about 15% of staff

dk1

Veteran Member
What about drivers who aren't in the union? Are there many? In my field of work, maybe union membership is about 15% of staff

Blimey!! As drivers I’d say around 1% if not lower at my TOC are not in a union.

Status
Not open for further replies.