• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Using the below video as an example (17m23 in case the timestamp gets stripped)
The SDO announcement is very late compared to how it is shown on the display - ideally they should line up so that if you can hear that there's an announcement, but not clearly enough to understand what it says, you can look at the screen to work it out instead. In this case by the time it's read out, the message has long disappeared in favour of a repeat of the calling pattern. Less an issue for long station journeys where it'll roll round again but on short distances in the Cornish sections where there's still a lot of the calling pattern left, it could be a problem.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The doors are automatically pressure sealed above a certain speed (3mph?) - the noise was probably the seals inflating, it can be quite a sharp noise at times.

Brake Squeal will be down to what pad material is used. Both the 180s and 800s use a form of Dynamic braking as their primary means of slowing down (Hydrodynamic braking on the 180s, Rheostatic/Regenerative braking on the 800s) with disc brakes supplementing at low speed and in emergency braking. The pad material thus has to be sturdy enough to cope with infrequent, high-energy use.

Only the cab doors have air seals, they don’t make any air related noise, just a rustling noise as they inflate, the rest of the doors have camlocks - so no air noise from them.

180’s on GWR had their hydrodynamic braking turned off, as it caused transmission overheating, it was an insurmountable problem - given the resources and will to sort it out.

The IEP’s only use dynamic/blended braking under the wires, on diesel power it’s all friction. The use isn’t infrequent, even under the wires, when a Driver starts to brake, the initial braking is friction, the dynamic is blended in and takes over, until the speed reduces to a level where the friction brakes come back in and take over, so they are used in every brake applicatin.

The only difference on the WoE units is that they use dynamic braking in diesel mode, to the same extent the IEP’s do under the wires.

Last edited:

samuelmorris

Established Member
Only the cab doors are have air seals, they don’t make any air related noise, just a rustling noise as they inflate, the rest of the doors have camlocks - so no air noise from them.

180’s on GWR had their hydrodynamic braking turned off, as it caused transmission overheating, it was an insurmountable problem - given the resources and will to sort it out.

The IEP’s only use dynamic/blended braking under the wires, on diesel power it’s all friction. The use isn’t infrequent, even under the wires, when a Driver starts to brake, the initial braking is friction, the dynamic is blended in and takes over, until the speed reduces to a level where the friction brakes come back in and take over, so they are used in every brake applicatin.

The only difference on the WoE units is that they use dynamic braking in diesel mode, to the same extent the IEP’s do under the wires.
That's interesting - i'm pretty sure the doors on the 395s are air sealed, so did they change that for the 80x?

Sirgerbil

Out of interest stemming from this post, why were the 80x trains ordered without level boarding?
Unless it really is the DfT just not thinking, or going along with what it's been before?
I just think there must be a particular reason rather than someone just not thinking about it.

Two of the roads in the sheds at Bounds have been getting upgrades to make them 800 friendly. There was an 800 there the other night testing one of the completed roads.

aar0

I'm on my first 9 coach 800, forming the 1224 Swansea - London. It's got the different seat fabric, which does make quite a difference. Main moaning point now is the side bolsters/head rest that push your shoulders into a U, otherwise they're perfectly acceptable.

6 early into Newport too, and only 10ish longer journey time than the current timetable best of 2hrs59.

59CosG95

Established Member
This has been mentioned many times before, but some IETs are not cleared for electric operation.

Also, no train run electric between Didcot and Swindon yet.
AFAIK, all the 800/0s have run on AC power on the GWML at least once. In fact, I can recall someone on here saying that some drivers weren't yet trained to operate the IETs on AC power; only on diesel. This may still be the case.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Is it normal to run using diesel power between Swindon and London?

No, but there are currently 10x 800 sets that are running with a ‘diesel only’ restriction, (2 of those are restricted only when in multi with particular sets)

As mentioned above there are drivers who can only operate 800s on diesel traction.

No, but there are currently 10x 800 sets that are running with a ‘diesel only’ restriction, (2 of those are restricted only when in multi with particular sets)

As mentioned above there are drivers who can only operate 800s on diesel traction.
No idea where you get your information, there are currently 5 sets on diesel only.

Established Member
any sign of 800103? more than a week since LNER vinyl was reported being applied

Vinyl is to test what it looks like on an actual train rather. Unless LNER have a launch lined up (highly unlikely), then very unlikely to see it on mainline anytime soon

FGW_DID

Established Member
Someone’s been working hard over the weekend, 800’s with a diesel restriction now down to 4 sets unless more have been fixed after the late notice was sent out this morning!

Phil G

From the earlier post about EMI issues between Didcot and Swindon I'm trying to understand what is different between that stretch of line and Paddington to Didcot. I would have assumed the same imunisation has been done so what is causing the problem (a question I'm sure Hitachi are asking).

Charlie M.

From the earlier post about EMI issues between Didcot and Swindon I'm trying to understand what is different between that stretch of line and Paddington to Didcot. I would have assumed the same imunisation has been done so what is causing the problem (a question I'm sure Hitachi are asking).

GWR are behind on IET testing so they haven’t started testing AC 800s to Swindon yet. It’s now expected to be at least december before we see electric operation at Swindon.

Someone’s been working hard over the weekend, 800’s with a diesel restriction now down to 4 sets unless more have been fixed after the late notice was sent out this morning!
Some of the restrictions are as simple as a repair or pantograph replacement has been undertaken at Stoke Gifford, as SG wires aren’t live yet, the set has to be diesel only until it gets tested at North Pole (or in service with a TRI onboard).

Last edited:

jimm

Established Member
It’s now expected to be at least december before we see electric operation at Swindon.

As has been planned for a very long time now, as noted in the Network Rail enhancements plan updates.

Is there any news on when the pre-production 800/0 sets are likely to be in use?

800003 has been in passenger service for a fortnight - see page 274 of this thread

59CosG95

Established Member
Possibly a few rogue axle counters? I'm sure the Steventon OLE restrictions are also adding to NR's reluctance.

JN114

Established Member
Yes, but they enitially expected September a few months back but then it was put back again.

No, they initially said December for sign off and entry into service, with dynamic testing from Autumn. I’ve posted that, or words to that effect at least twice on this thread.

September has never been on the cards other than in the imaginations of armchair commentators.

FGW_DID

Established Member
GWR are behind on IET testing so they haven’t started testing AC 800s to Swindon yet. It’s now expected to be at least december before we see electric operation at Swindon.

Why would GWR be testing the 800s? They are already in operational service. Excuse the pun but you may have your wires crossed :D, it will be the newly strung OLE (and signalling infrastructure) that needs dynamic testing before being approved for passenger running. If it’s anything like the previous sections, NR will undertake tests utilising the 80x and 387s.

Some of the restrictions are as simple as a repair or pantograph replacement has been undertaken at Stoke Gifford, as SG wires aren’t live yet, the set has to be diesel only until it gets tested at North Pole (or in service with a TRI onboard).

The pantograph testing had been mentioned further up (or on one of the many 800 related threads) and certainly sounded a very plausible reason, so thank you for confirming that.

Mintona

Established Member
A bit of an aside, the wires in Stoke Gifford depot itself are due to go live on 13th October apparently.

jimm

Established Member
Yes, but they enitially expected September a few months back but then it was put back again.

'They' means who/what exactly?

The official target date for passenger service use of the overhead wires west of Didcot has been given as December 2018 in the Network Rail enhancements delivery plan updates for a very long time now.

There is a download link for the March 2016 update of the plan in the National Archives on the page linked to below, where you will see December 2018 stated as the target on page 89. It hasn't changed in any update since then.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives....ery-plans/control-period-5/cp5-delivery-plan/

As JN114 says, anything said on this forum or elsewhere about September was fiction.

Last edited:

BRX

Established Member
What's the current expected date for IETs to start taking over Aberdeen and Inverness services?

Bikeman78

Established Member
No, they initially said December for sign off and entry into service, with dynamic testing from Autumn. I’ve posted that, or words to that effect at least twice on this thread.

September has never been on the cards other than in the imaginations of armchair commentators.
Under the revised schedule it was supposed to be electric all the way to Cardiff in December! It will be December 2019 at this rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.