• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Cornish Night Riviera Sleeper and GWR Class 57 updates from Long Rock

co-tr-paul

Not even I know what's happening anymore what with govt control etc. We wanted to go back to the 5th coach fri down/sun up but was told no. As its now near the end of the peak season I guess it will be next spring??? Things appear to be all on hold......?
One reason why this thread has been quiet of late but when I know I shall inform if allowed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

co-tr-paul

Stopped today upon arrival at Penzance, Long Rock , 57604 is due to go to Plymouth Laira to commence it's G Exam along with DSO 12142 for its C6 exam. Barrier 6336 will also travel with them.
20230916_125758.jpg

Last edited:

On Moderation
Verdion 2.0 as old thread shut down !
Stopped today upon arrival at Penzance, Long Rock , 57604 is due to go to Plymouth Laira to commence it's G Exam along with DSO 12161 for its C6 exam. Barrier 6336 will also travel with them.
That will presumably make it more likely that 57312 will see some action on service trains?

Hope Laira are quicker at the G exam on the 57s than they have been latterly on power cars...

Great to see this thread active again
Not sure if it's wibble but I have heard that the 57s might be getting heritage liverys with the G exam, anyone know if this is true?

irish_rail

Established Member
Not sure if it's wibble but I have heard that the 57s might be getting heritage liverys with the G exam, anyone know if this is true?
Would seem rather pointless for a fleet that runs mainly unseen at night. Though I'd love to see one in intercity swallow I must admit!

co-tr-paul

The suggestion for heritage liveries has been put forward but we will have to wait and see.
Meanwhile, this week sees the start of engineering works which mostly means only Friday and Sunday night operation until February 2024.

On Moderation
The suggestion for heritage liveries has been put forward but we will have to wait and see.
Given the time Laira take to do major exams these days, the current GWR green will probably be a heritage livery by the time all four are completed.

irish_rail

Established Member
Meanwhile, this week sees the start of engineering works which mostly means only Friday and Sunday night operation until February 2024.
That is going to be very very interesting in terms of traincrew traction retention. I think its very plausible there will be drivers who won't see a 57 now until February and will thus have to sign them off. Could be very difficult to crew the train from next year I would say.

SWFreight

I hope these rumours are true! If we do see some heritage liveries it should help to give confidence that the sleeper operation is continuing for the foreseeable future. I know there have been concerns raised about this in the recent past.

That is going to be very very interesting in terms of traincrew traction retention. I think its very plausible there will be drivers who won't see a 57 now until February and will thus have to sign them off. Could be very difficult to crew the train from next year I would say.

Hopefully this doesn't come to fruition. But it certainly does sound plausible. I can't disagree with that, sadly.

Well they could always use the seated coaches on a day time hauled diagram just up to Plymouth... I'll get me coat

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Ah. The exemption is only for the sleeper operation and not for use of the stock in general/other passenger service?

Correct as the sleeper has a higher number of staff than regular trains and this is part of the mitigation.

Given the time Laira take to do major exams these days, the current GWR green will probably be a heritage livery by the time all four are completed.

Length of exams on power cars is compounded by issues with parts supply in recent years, heavy exams at Haymarket are no quicker.

irish_rail

Established Member
I hope these rumours are true! If we do see some heritage liveries it should help to give confidence that the sleeper operation is continuing for the foreseeable future. I know there have been concerns raised about this in the recent past.

Hopefully this doesn't come to fruition. But it certainly does sound plausible. I can't disagree with that, sadly.
Maybe some ECS driver retention runs could happen. At Plymouth for example, in link 1, there is only one instance of a sleeper driving turn on a Monday morning (ie the down Sunday night off padd). Thats in a 25 driver link. So if that one day is missed by driver for whatever reason (sickness , leave, off trains for whatevr) then there is every chance they won't be rostered to drive it at all in the upcoming period. GWR will need to do something in order to preserve traction knowledge. Its not like the 57 and stock is an overly easy train to drive compared with say 80x that we are all now accustomed too.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Maybe some ECS driver retention runs could happen. At Plymouth for example, in link 1, there is only one instance of a sleeper driving turn on a Monday morning (ie the down Sunday night off padd). Thats in a 25 driver link. So if that one day is missed by driver for whatever reason (sickness , leave, off trains for whatevr) then there is every chance they won't be rostered to drive it at all in the upcoming period. GWR will need to do something in order to preserve traction knowledge. Its not like the 57 and stock is an overly easy train to drive compared with say 80x that we are all now accustomed too.
It looks like this is happening. A day ECS turn Penzance-Exeter and back.

irish_rail

Established Member
It looks like this is happening. A day ECS turn Penzance-Exeter and back.
Ah yes I have noticed that now in the short notice traincrew diagrams. Plymouth man does Penzance to Exeter and I presume an Exeter man does the return leg. Will be interesting to see how often it actually runs though as it will surely be an easy target for cancellation. Hopefully not.

cce

bit of a tangent, I know that you have to drive at least once every 6 months to maintain competence, but what constitutes "a drive" in this scenario? 10 minutes? 4 hours?

irish_rail

Established Member
bit of a tangent, I know that you have to drive at least once every 6 months to maintain competence, but what constitutes "a drive" in this scenario? 10 minutes? 4 hours?
I suppose its up to the individual to assess their competency. Of note there is an ECS move from Long Rock to Laira this afternoon involving sleepers unsure of the reason though?!

The_Van

Evening

I'm planning on going on this from Paddington to Plymouth on Friday 27 October in the seated coaches the GWR App gives a fare and says you are booked on this service sit in any free seat, no option to reserve a seat.

Is this usual and they keep back a number of unreserved seats or are they all unreserved?

TIA

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Evening

I'm planning on going on this from Paddington to Plymouth on Friday 27 October in the seated coaches the GWR App gives a fare and says you are booked on this service sit in any free seat, no option to reserve a seat.

Is this usual and they keep back a number of unreserved seats or are they all unreserved?

TIA

There are 2 seated coaches and not many more passengers most of the time! I'd not worry.

PaulOnCastles

Evening

TIA
Yes. All unreserved seating.
I’ve never had a problem getting a seat. But, I always like to board in good time to be sure I get a choice where!
Only once on the very rare occasion the brake coach was taken out of the rake due to a fault/maintenance and replaced by a barrier coach..then it was a bit cosy!

Sleepy

Established Member
Counted places reservations not specific seat allocated, unsure if any seats set aside for walk up ticket holders on the night but unlikely to be an issue except in August or 22nd December.

co-tr-paul

When the refurbishment was done, there was a shortage of seating as down was a commuter service from PLY to PNZ so seating was increased
Since then, rules have changed so current set down only in place so seating now not a problem, in fact as part of C6 exam, more tables have been suggested but will have to wait and see. Capacity in seated coaches currently not a problem.